Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way of throwing the hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i ask what manny/khan need help with from a kickboxer?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      Yes you are right, in the other thread I posted some videos of trainers that talk about the differences between the two.

I throw the hook with my thumb up, it feels better to me but both are right. When you throw the hook from distance, thumb up seems more natural. When you throw it close, palm down seems more natural.

Exactly this, although I think they key with the palm down is getting the pivot from the feet and twist in the hips.

Comment

The way I've learned it from my trainer is: On short hooks you can have hour thumb either up or facing towards yourself. On long hooks alsway handpalm facing downwards.

Note: I just started boxing, so dont take my advice all that serious!

Comment

your right - on short hooks your thumb is up or forrward

Comment

Like Kevin S I have only just started as well, but this is how it feels to me :

It kind of depends where your elbow is when throwing. If it's a chopping kind of hook, I find definitely palm down works better. If it's more like a hooking uppercut, I find vertical palm works better, so it seems to depend on the height of your elbow when throwing - if it's anything higher than horizontal then palm down, and anything lower than horizontal = palm up.

Having said that, range as mentioned before seems to come into play - if it's long range then palm down seems to give a better range (makes it more similar to a jab or straight) and short range palm vertical seems to give a snappier hook without telegraphing so much, but you lose a little bit on range.

Short range chopping hook however I would use palm down.

That's what feels comfortable to me. I have quite long arms though so perhaps it alos depends on your fighting style and arm length?

My trainer has also told me that either way is acceptable for a hook.

Comment

Wrists down is the "correct" way to throw because you generate more power that way and the impact has more fist mass involved! Pronating punches is always the correct way unless your working shots that are moving "up"! Its "easier" to throw hooks thumb up but easier usually spells "less"!
              Just go to the heavy bags and throw a straight right hand "pronated" then "thumb up" and tell us which has more power?
              Same with a hook except it takes more discipline to throw it correctly. 'Picture the side of a jaw, then visualize a fully Pronated shot and a thumb up and see which punch "covers" the most area?
              Then theres the safety aspect involved, the thumbs up is a wrist injury waiting to happen. Well wrapped wrists can certainly help avoid an injury but that alone explains why the pronation technique is the better option.

....as you Pronate your hook get your elbow out & up!!! Work your head back under and come back with another one. Run a rope from corner to corner and work forward and under and practice that Pronated Hook as you step. Get it down smooth, start slowly and build it up! If you Pronate your punches you will gain in power because that technique affords more power!! Ray.

Comment

To me It feels right just like how Kenny Weldon teaches:

-short hook to the head palm facing floor
                -med and long range hook thumb up

I get a decent smack on the bag by doing so....

The thumb facing floor kinda hurts my shoulders....Audley knocked Sprot with this type of a hook..

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Technically and historically a hook to the head should be with the palm facing down. But even professionals with distinuished amateur records fire thumbs up hooks.

I remember an interview with David Haye in which he said he always fires his hooks thumbs up because it engages the bicep better and is thus more powerful.
                May I ask which interview?

Comment

Working...
                X