Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — The Heartbreak of Steve Cunningham

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the football game was over last night I changed channels and the fight was being replayed on the NBC sports channel. When I turned the fight on it was the beginning of the 8th round and honestly the only round that I could score cleanly for Cunningham between the 8th and the 12th was the 10th round. I did not score the fight the first time I watched it. But honestly I thought Steve won. But it was still, in my opinion, a close fight and nowhere near the worst decision that I have ever witnessed. Actually it didn't even come close to worst decision that I have ever seen. And it also seems that most fans scored the fight 7-5 in rounds to Cunningham. Needless to say most scored a close fight and that is only a swing of two rounds for an Adamek win. Therefore, in my opinion, Steve won but it was not all that controversial.
    Last edited by Ravens Fan; 12-25-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The result really pissed me off, I thought Cunningham boxed his ears off. Adamek did a lot of coming forward but he didn't land a lot of clean shots. I had it 116-112 to USS.

Adamek is a fraud at HW, he just fights washed up bums and gets decisions against decent fighters. it was a robbery.

Comment

I was watching the fight & was just enjoying it cause it was a good fight & I wasn't rooting for neither fighter cause even thou I've seen both fight a few times, I'm not a fan of neither one of them.. But when it was over & after watching Cunningham out box Adamek & land the cleaner punches & more shots overall, I was more than sure that Cunningham had won & even Adamek's corner knew it cause from the 10th round on they were telling Adamek that he either needed a KO or knockdowns in the rounds that were left to win the fight...& when it was first announced as a draw I thought it was crazy(especially when 1 card was 115-115), but when the guy jumped in the ring & changed 1 of the cards to favor Adamek that's when I knew something was really shady & to find out that same card was added up wrong TWICE!!! That convinced Me even more...

Comment

typo

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          by David P. Greisman - He thanked every fan and reporter who approached him, each saying that they thought he had won the fight. He spent the next morning and afternoon reposting and replying to others’ sentiments on Twitter, all in support of a boxer they believed had deserved the victory.

It all served as cold comfort to Steve Cunningham.

Every voice, every message only added to the outrage. Rather than soothe him, they only underlined the painful reality of what he, and they, could only see as a robbery.

“What more can I do, other than knock a dude out?” Cunningham said afterward. “What more can I do?”

He had done all he could for 12 rounds against Tomasz Adamek.

He had not been knocked down, as had happened three times four years ago, when they had first fought.

He had not been badly hurt, had not been drawn into a war he could not win, had not strayed too far from a strategy of discipline, of using speed and movement to offset his stronger but slower pursuer.

He had not been awarded the decision.

One judge gave Adamek seven rounds to Cunningham’s five. Another judge scored it even wider for the Polish heavyweight, at eight rounds to four. Only one official observer had Cunningham ahead, seeing it seven to five.

That single dissenting vote joined a larger chorus. Yet it was just those other two sets of numbers that truly counted.

This is the heartbreak of being a boxer, of being involved in a sport where the scores are not accumulated via baskets, goals, runs or touchdowns, but instead are decided by a trio of people seated feet away from the action. There is the cliché of a fighter taking his fate into his own hands, of taking his opponent out and making certain that the result is not left to those three observers positioned along the ring apron.

That is not always possible. Sometimes a fighter can only hope to do his job as well as he desires, and then he can only hope that the judges do their jobs as well as the boxers deserve for them to do.

This is the heartbreak of Steve Cunningham. He deserved better than this. [Click Here To Read More]
          I'm sure it reads more like the "heartbreak of psoriasis"...... although I didn't read it. I've got tired of reading laboured explanations, often (for "dramatic" effect) in single sentence "bursts", all of which have been amply published in the preceding week, and which are geared down to 6 year old weak-minded children. In fact it has just occurred to me that David may get his "material" from the week's articles....... It is only in the 10 Count that we learn interesting information. David should concentrate on reporting in which he dies an excellent job.

I keyed in only to read the absent 10 Count.
          Last edited by edgarg; 12-25-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

A ONE POINT or two point fight is not a robbery, people. I scored it 7-5 in rds to Adamek or a draw since there were several close rounds. When there is alot of close rounds, you're the champion being the aggressor, close rounds usually goes to that fighter. Cunningham didn't do enough to TAKE the title away. He did alot of running in this rematch than the 1st meeting between the two. Running around w/ a high guard w/ the Champion chasing you down. Literally chased around the corners of the ring without throwing anything to keep him off sometimes.

Comment

So much controversy. I watched the fight twice. I had Cunningham up by 2 rounds over Adamek at the end. Not enough to call it a “robbery”. So it was close enough to go either way. You want REAL ROBBERIES? LOOK AT: Tavoris Cloud-Gabriel Campillo OR Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley. Can't even compare with Adamek-Cunningham.

Comment

Working...
              X