Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Great A Win Is John Ruiz For Roy Jones Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins
    Toney
    Ruiz
    Griffin
    McCallum
    Hill
    Harding
    Gonzalez
    Del Valle
    Sosa
    Johnson
    Tarver
    Woods
    Castro
    Grant

All of them bigger wins then Trinidad

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      LOL I think its time for you to stop posting
      I think it's time for you to STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
        Not quite yet SC.

You don't think that beating Felix Trinidad that close to his 3 losses wasn't big for him? If he would have lost that fight, he may have retired right there.
        That win was mentally important for him.

Besides Ruiz, Toney or Hopkins, who do you think was his next biggest win?
        Just ignore Trojanman. He's the section's village idiot anyway.

The problem with the Tito fight is that while it may well have been huge for Jones on a personal level it wasn't big in the overall scheme of things. Worse, it gave a misleading impression of what Jones still had left. I remember in the aftermath of the fight Jones fans were trumpeting that "the old Roy was back" when in truth it was just Old Roy fighting an opponent with even less left in the tank than Jones had.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Just ignore Trojanman. He's the section's village idiot anyway.

The problem with the Tito fight is that while it may well have been huge for Jones on a personal level it wasn't big in the overall scheme of things. Worse, it gave a misleading impression of what Jones still had left. I remember in the aftermath of the fight Jones fans were trumpeting that "the old Roy was back" when in truth it was just Old Roy fighting an opponent with even less left in the tank than Jones had.

Poet
          Poet, I was thinking what an important win the Trinidad fight was for Jones at that time in his career, but you correctly pointed out something that I didn't even think about. That win over Tito prompted Jones to think he had more left then he really did and, in effect, caused him to keep getting beat on.
          I remember how much I wanted Jones to win that fight so that he would fight on & we'd get to see him in action more times. Upon reflection, it may have been better had he lost that fight.
          I don't know how I missed that in the first place.

Thanks for writing another insightful post.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
            Poet, I was thinking what an important win the Trinidad fight was for Jones at that time in his career, but you correctly pointed out something that I didn't even think about. That win over Tito prompted Jones to think he had more left then he really did and, in effect, caused him to keep getting beat on.
            I remember how much I wanted Jones to win that fight so that he would fight on & we'd get to see him in action more times. Upon reflection, it may have been better had he lost that fight.
            I don't know how I missed that in the first place.

Thanks for writing another insightful post.
            Thanks for the kind words! I was thinking more in terms of fan perception but you're quite right about Jones drawing the same wrong conclusions.....to the detriment of his health. It kind of proves that a fighter's capacity for self-deception is right up there with that of their hard-core fans. It reminds me of when the hard-core Ali fans swore up and down that Ali was going to beat Holmes.....and I think Ali believed it too. You can fool yourself, you can fool your fans, but you can't fool Father Time.....he ain't buying it.

Poet

Comment

It kind of proves that a fighter's capacity for self-deception is right up there with that of their hard-core fans. It reminds me of when the hard-core Ali fans swore up and down that Ali was going to beat Holmes.....and I think Ali believed it too. You can fool yourself, you can fool your fans, but you can't fool Father Time.....he ain't buying it.

Poet[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I hate to admit this publically, but I gotta tell the truth. When Ali fought Holmes, my head says Holmes has an easy night because Ali was so advanced in age & his skills were so degraded. But in my heart, I wanted Ali to pull out yet another miracle. Nothing against Larry, I actually liked him a lot. But come on, this was Muhammad Ali! We grew up watching him beat Frazier, Norton, Foreman. You could never bet against him.

I remember watching the first few rounds and Ali looked so bad that I was trying to figure out if Ali was acting that bad so as to lull Holmes down and then after a few rounds, Ali would suddenly flip some kind of secret turbo-charge switch and do another Foreman on Holmes.

Instead, it just got worse. The great Muhammad Ali was empty. When it's gone, it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                It's meaningless. A hum drum win over a fighter EVERYONE knew was by far the weakest of the Alphabeltholders.

Poet
                Meaningless eh.

Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  Meaningless eh.

Yeah.
                  Yeah. It would be like Michael Spinks moving up and lifting a belt from Trevor Berbeck rather than Larry Holmes. Everyone would be saying "So ****ing what? It's Trevor Berbeck." Same thing with Ruiz. It doesn't hurt Jones but it doesn't do a damn thing for his legacy either. Did anyone have any doubts Jones would beat Ruiz? I sure as hell didn't and I expected it to be easy and it was: It was John ****ing Ruiz ffs.

Poet

Comment

Sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                      Sure thing.
                      Come on Reed: Did YOU have any doubts Jones was gonna cruise in that fight?

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X