Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion could Fernando Vargas have been a great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob marley View Post
    he was very talented..dont understand why he was fed to tito so fast
    Forget being fed to Tito, that fight should have never took place (at least not when it did). Winky had beat Vargas in the previous fight, and the victory was stolen from him..

The Winky/Vargas situation was very simular to the Oscar/Strum situation...Super fights were already lined up, so as long as the "star" finished the fight, he was headed to the super fight.

On Topic: Vargas was a good fighter, but I never saw him as someone that could be great. He won his title very young, and looked like a monster in doing so, but the minute he stepped up his comp, he started having major problems.

Forget the Oscar fight, the Tito fight, the Quartey fight, the Mosley fights, the Winky fight, and the Mayorga fight...The fight that made me want to see Vargas hang them up, was the Castillio fight. Even though Vargas knocked Castillio down twice, Vargas took a beating, an absolute beating in the second half of that fight..how he got the win was beyond me (most likely the 2 knockdowns)...

Vargas will always be remembered (by me) as a good fighter, not a great fighter. One thing people can't take from Vargas though, he fought big names pretty much the entire back end of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
      Vargas was a fighter with b*lls, wasn't scared of anyone, he fought whoever was put in front of him!!!!
      I just said that at the end of my post!

That is the one thing folks will never be able to take away from him!

Comment

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
        The Winky/Vargas situation was very simular to the Oscar/Strum situation...Super fights were already lined up, so as long as the "star" finished the fight, he was headed to the super fight.

And you're a complete moron if you think the two fights are even remotely comparable.Sturm dominated Oscar De La Hoya and lost no more than three rounds.The fight was no close,and it was not competitive.Vargas-Wright,to anybody who actually saw the fight,was an incredibly close,highly competitive bout from the start until the very end,with a number of swing rounds thrown in.

And your description of Vargas's fight with Javiet Castillejo(not Castillo,as you put it) is stupid,wrong and about as inaccurate a description as you could have possibly have give.Vargas fought an incredibly cautious fight from start to finish but still won by a wide margin.The only thing Castillejo did was outwork Vargas in a few rounds - that's it!
        Last edited by prinzemanspopa; 01-19-2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          And you're a complete moron if you think the two fights are even remotely comparable.Sturm dominated Oscar De La Hoya and lost no more than three rounds.The fight was no close,and it was not competitive.Vargas-Wright,to anybody who actually saw the fight was incredibly close,highly competitive from the start until the very end with a number of swing rounds thrown in.

And your description of Vargas's fight with Javiet Castillejo(not Castillo,as you put it) is stupid,wrong and about as inaccurate a description as you could have possibly have give.Vargas fought an incredibly cautious fight from start to finish but still won by a wide margin.The only thing Castillejo did was outwork Vargas in a few rounds - that's it!
          Winky won the fight by two rounds at least.

Vargas had a broken jaw, and could barley do the interview after the Castillejo fight.

I suggest you take a closer look at both.

Comment

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
            Winky won the fight by two rounds at least.

Vargas had a broken jaw, and could barley do the interview after the Castillejo fight.

I suggest you take a closer look at both.

I suggest you go and actually watch Vargas's fight with Castillejo before even commenting on it.The fact that you dared even question the decision is enough for me to believe you've not actually seen it.

Do you realize just how stupid it sounds to suggest one fighter was robbed,despite the fact that you yourself scored it by only two points?

Comment

I suggest you go and actually watch Vargas's fight with Castillejo before even commenting on it.The fact that you dared even question the decision is enough for me to believe you've not actually seen it.

Do you realize just how stupid it sounds to suggest one fighter was robbed,despite the fact that you yourself scored it by only two points?
              That's as far as I got...You don't know anything about me, how long I have watched the sport, or what fights I have seen, or one's I haven't.

Comment

Now that I have read the post. Uhhh, a fighter winning by 2 points suggest he won the fight. Meaning the Tito/Vargas fight should not have happened.

Also: Just cause you talk tuff, with insults, doesn't make your point anymore valid than mine. Keep thinking that though.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Not fight Tito? I always felt he was a couple ticks slower after that fight and even slower when he fought Oscar. A far cry from the guy who fought Quartey. Simply put, that fight shortened his shelf life and slowed his mechanics, reflexes. The definition of ruining a fighter.
                  I think you said it perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by Plaster...Sad. View Post
                    You know, the more I read what these border-rats post, the more I realize the perils of riding across the desert in the trunk of a car with 5 other men in 120 degree heat. There's just no way they can get to this country intact. Now I feel bad...
                    Man stfu where would PR be if it wasnt the US *****? They be poor as **** and the lazy pr people wouldnt make **** better haha Drink Mexican piss to get wroking on something haha PR the people that wannna be black well they are in a sense hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by andres aza View Post
                      Man stfu where would PR be if it wasnt the US *****? They be poor as **** and the lazy pr people wouldnt make **** better haha Drink Mexican piss to get wroking on something haha PR the people that wannna be black well they are in a sense hahahaha
                      OMG- What has happened to our educational system?
                      I hope he is not from America.

Comment

Working...
                      X