No announcement yet.

Andre Ward vs Joe Calzaghe at SMW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathed View Post
    I honestly feel that the Calzaghe loss was the nail in the coffin on a great legacy......what: Hopkins, Green, Russian dude.....3 straight beatdowns in a row after an apparent comeback?
    What comeback? Who did he beat to validate a comeback?

He wasnt even ranked in the top 10..

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      I didn't mention Hopkins in there though. The rest fell off.....sure they had some wins against some Euro-cans (no offense intended) as confidence builders but they all claimed career stalling injuries, or crumbled in the face of adversity after the Calzaghe fight...he showed them their true colors........the truth is often a painful thing.
      You didnt include Hopkins I just mentioned Bhop to dispute your claim that Joe ruined his opponents career. Hopkins actually went undefeated (technically) since his loss to Joe.

Comment

Hopkins is more Andre Wardy than Andre Ward. Joe shouldnt have any problems with junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          Hopkins is more Andre Wardy than Andre Ward. Joe shouldnt have any problems with junior.
          1. This comparison is a little overstated anymore. I'm not saying there isn't worth in it, just that it only goes so far.

2. Ward has better stamina than the version of Hopkins who fought Calzaghe (and not being able to keep up in later rounds is what lost Hopkins that fight).

Comment

Originally posted by STONES! View Post
            1. This comparison is a little overstated anymore. I'm not saying there isn't worth in it, just that it only goes so far.

2. Ward has better stamina than the version of Hopkins who fought Calzaghe (and not being able to keep up in later rounds is what lost Hopkins that fight).
            Ward was gassed in the 11th and 12th vs Froch! I think Ill make a gif showing how many times he glanced at the rd clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
              Ward was gassed in the 11th and 12th vs Froch! I think Ill make a gif showing how many times he glanced at the rd clock.
              I'd thought of that, but I'm not sure how much of it was fatigue and how much was him trying to see out the Championship stretch with his depleted offense (it was clear he was in discomfort right after the final bell, but it wasn't made clear until later that it was coming from his hand). Froch is another guy with great conditioning who brings a lot of physical pressure (and heavy hands) late on, anyway.

If Rob Reid can keep up over distance with JC, I'm sure Ward could do better.

Comment

I think Ward kills anyone who tries to box, or stand in front of him in any way. However, I have a hunch that spoiling styles like Hopkins and Calzaghe are what could possibly give him trouble, especially a relentless, tireless one like Calzaghe's. I see this as a decision for Calzaghe, who would play it very cautious, like he did against Hopkins. It wouldn't be pretty, but I see him most likely taking it on points.
                Last edited by Redd Foxx; 12-22-2011, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X