Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Rio Olympics Boxers to lookout for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
    I know qualifiers are next week I think but he's pretty good from what I've seen. And shakur is going pro after olympics
    What day are the qualifiers? Will we be able to watch them?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      Andrew Selby has turned pro. His first fight is on youtube

I like Michael Conlan from Ireland. 24yo, Am World Champs Gold medalist, Olympic Bronze medalist, Euro Gold and Silver medalist and Commonwealth Gold medalist. Very talented fighter.

Robeisy Ramirez looked amazing at the 2012 games, but i havent been that impressed with him since. Perhaps he will step up again on the big stage. He's still so young
      Oh noway! I thought he was part of the WSB team from these shores? Like I said, I am quite behind on my am boxing lol

I've heard a lot about this kid, need to watch more of him.

Conlan is a pretty well established amateur, I don't understand why so many boxers these days are continuing their am careers well into their 20s. They need to turn pro earlier imo.

Edit: Just want to point out that the BBC has done a good job covering amateur tournaments in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by El Tejano View Post
        2016 Rio Olympics Boxers to lookout for?who could turn pro right after the Olympics?
        I applaud you first legit post in months!

I've been keen on seeing how MIKAELA MAYER does.

I also wonder if Katie Taylor will have another go.

As for the men's side tbh i'm not to sure... I gotta do some research and check.

Hopefully someone drops some elite talents in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR CANELO! View Post
          Clarissa Shields, my girl Esparza got sparked out already didnt even qualify womp womp womp.
          Dude I saw Sheilds in Toronto at the Pan am's! WOW she straight up dusted this Cuba girl!

She has eilte skill, elite focus and elite talent backed by elite power! WOW She's like a Female RJJ compared to the rest of the flock it's uncanny!

Comment

Bantamweight: Michael Conlan, Murodjon Akhmadaliev, Dzmitry Asanau, Robeisy Ramirez (he is making his comeback later this month let's hope he could recapture his form. He has tough competition in Akhmadaliev. If he beats Akhmadaliev that's a good sign. I thought Akhmadaliev beat Conlan at Worlds).
            I hope all four of these guys medal as they would make good pros imo.

Lightweight: Lazaro Alvarez, Albert Selimov (never going pro but one of the most intelligent boxers in the last 20 years in my opinion), Elnur Abduraimov, Robson Conceicao

Light Welterweight: Vitaly Dunaytsev, Fazliddin Gaibnazarov, Yasniel Toledo, Arthur Biyarslanov (good Canadian boxer, won't Medal, but I think he'll make a good pro).
            I'm rooting for Dunaytsev to get the Gold since I like his style, he already won the World Championships let's see if he turns it into Olympic Gold.
            Gaibnazarov would be a fantastic pro.

Welterweight: Mohammed Rabii (this guy could be a rockstar if he turns pro, I get the feeling that he doesn't have a good chin, but great style), Daniyar Yeleussinov

Middleweight (arguably the best weight class in amateur boxing right now): Arlen Lopez, Bektemir Melikuziev, Michael O'Reilly, Zhanibek Alimkhanuly

Light Heavyweight: Julio la Cruz, Joe Ward, Pavel Silyagin, Oleksandr Khyzhniak, Adilbek Niyazymbetov

I know I'm missing a lot more. These are some of the fighters I would love to see go pro. Some are Cubans (la Cruz, Arlen Lopez, Toledo, Alvarez, Ramirez) so who knows what happens with them. I decided not to do a list on the Heavyweight or Super Heavyweights, because those are the weight classes that most people follow. As well as Light Flyweight and Flyweight since, let's be honest, nobody pays attention to those small weights. But Mamishzada, Flyweight, is a huge puncher and could attract some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              What day are the qualifiers? Will we be able to watch them?
              7th-12th maybe they'll end up on YouTube at best

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                Dude I saw Sheilds in Toronto at the Pan am's! WOW she straight up dusted this Cuba girl!

She has eilte skill, elite focus and elite talent backed by elite power! WOW She's like a Female RJJ compared to the rest of the flock it's uncanny!
                yeah alot of people slept on her and had higher hopes for marlene to place the gold but I knew Shields would and marlene maybe could pull it off but marlene got all the exposure. Intresting to see how clarissa shields career pans out I have extreme high hopes for her.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Oh noway! I thought he was part of the WSB team from these shores? Like I said, I am quite behind on my am boxing lol

I've heard a lot about this kid, need to watch more of him.

Conlan is a pretty well established amateur, I don't understand why so many boxers these days are continuing their am careers well into their 20s. They need to turn pro earlier imo.

Edit: Just want to point out that the BBC has done a good job covering amateur tournaments in recent years.
                  Roebeisi Ramirez has was taken off the team sometime in the spring this year due to discipline issue. His substitute Andy Cruz won the Pan-Am games and then got robbed against a kid from Estonia during the quarterfinals at the Worlds a couple of months ago. Robeisi is not coming back and at the moment Andy Cruz is the better boxer if not the more exciting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post

Cuba doesn't have a boxing program for the women. In other words there are no women from Cuba boxing at international or national level.

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
                      Bantamweight: Michael Conlan, Murodjon Akhmadaliev, Dzmitry Asanau, Robeisy Ramirez (he is making his comeback later this month let's hope he could recapture his form. He has tough competition in Akhmadaliev. If he beats Akhmadaliev that's a good sign. I thought Akhmadaliev beat Conlan at Worlds).
                      I hope all four of these guys medal as they would make good pros imo.

Lightweight: Lazaro Alvarez, Albert Selimov (never going pro but one of the most intelligent boxers in the last 20 years in my opinion), Elnur Abduraimov, Robson Conceicao

Light Welterweight: Vitaly Dunaytsev, Fazliddin Gaibnazarov, Yasniel Toledo, Arthur Biyarslanov (good Canadian boxer, won't Medal, but I think he'll make a good pro).
                      I'm rooting for Dunaytsev to get the Gold since I like his style, he already won the World Championships let's see if he turns it into Olympic Gold.
                      Gaibnazarov would be a fantastic pro.

Welterweight: Mohammed Rabii (this guy could be a rockstar if he turns pro, I get the feeling that he doesn't have a good chin, but great style), Daniyar Yeleussinov

Middleweight (arguably the best weight class in amateur boxing right now): Arlen Lopez, Bektemir Melikuziev, Michael O'Reilly, Zhanibek Alimkhanuly

Light Heavyweight: Julio la Cruz, Joe Ward, Pavel Silyagin, Oleksandr Khyzhniak, Adilbek Niyazymbetov

I know I'm missing a lot more. These are some of the fighters I would love to see go pro. Some are Cubans (la Cruz, Arlen Lopez, Toledo, Alvarez, Ramirez) so who knows what happens with them. I decided not to do a list on the Heavyweight or Super Heavyweights, because those are the weight classes that most people follow. As well as Light Flyweight and Flyweight since, let's be honest, nobody pays attention to those small weights. But Mamishzada, Flyweight, is a huge puncher and could attract some attention.
                      Ramireze might have the best chance to turn pro because he is no longer on the national team so he is not living too well. If he finds a way to leave the country he'll turn pro probably. Problem is he competes at 56 and based on his last few performances in the WSB he was not very strong.

I love Cruz or La Sombra but I'd think he'd be terrible in the PROS.

From the Cuban team who I think is the best fighter all-around and can be the best pro is Roniel Iglesias at 69 kg. He's an olympic gold medalist. Got robbed in the Pan Am games against the Venezuelan dude and then against an Azerbeidjani in the Worlds. I mean Toledo beat the Russian that won the Gold at the Wolrds 3 - o and htey gave it to the Russian who didn't even have ranking. But hey they can't have all the Cubans winnign gold cause after all it's a World Boxing Championship and not Cuban Boxing Championship. But Roniel Iglesias is like the Lomachenko to me in amateur boxing at the 69 kg class and he has more pop and maliciousness.

Here is Roniel Iglesias getting robbed at the Worlds:

I actually haven;t seen Roniel lose, have seen him get robbed the 3 times I've seen him lose.

Comment

Working...
                      X