No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO's Doors Remain Wide Open To All Promoters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: HBO's Doors Remain Wide Open To All Promoters

The industry continues to buzz with speculation regarding the future of American cable giant HBO. A statement was made earlier in the week that the network has passed on plans for the next bout involving unbeaten lightweight champ Adrien Broner, which is rumored to be a June 22 showdown with welterweight beltholder Paul Malignaggi at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

HBO’s Ken Hershman made an announcement that suggested a terminated relationship with Golden Boy Promotions, whom promotes Broner but has taken nearly its entire stable of fighters to rival Showtime. [Click Here To Read More]

HBO: Welcome 50 cent!!! SMS Promotion

Comment

HBO is sill airing meaningful fights in the near future. The long run is going to be the problem but they have enough money to entice any promotional company.

Comment

Bottom line is GBP needs HBO more then HBO needs GBP. With or without GBP HBO will still be the #1 Premium cable network and that won't change regardless of how much the small number of Floyd/GBP groupies whine and threaten to switch networks.

Comment

Originally posted by jso416 View Post
          Bottom line is GBP needs HBO more then HBO needs GBP. With or without GBP HBO will still be the #1 Premium cable network and that won't change regardless of how much the small number of Floyd/GBP groupies whine and threaten to switch networks.
          Switch networks? If youre a boxing fan than you watch both networks.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Blazin View Post
            Switch networks? If youre a boxing fan than you watch both networks.
            Not really. It's very easy to stream fights from any network over the internet nowadays, and that's what most boxing fans do anyway to be honest. Personally I do have both networks, Showtime was actually a part of my channel package and I pay extra $10 bucks a month for HBO cause of their superior programming. Honestly if Showtime wasn't a part of my package I would drop it cause other then boxing the channel is garbage.

Comment

why do they need hbo so bad? showtime fighters have been getting great ratings. both would be fine without the other

Comment

Seems like Bob put his foot down over the June 22nd date, HBO caved in, Schaefer didn't like it and took his business elsewhere.

Comment

Golden Boy has the best fighters on their roster. HBO will need to revisit their decision because banking on ol Bob to deliver will not be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Boy View Post
                    why do they need hbo so bad? showtime fighters have been getting great ratings. both would be fine without the other
                    Without HBO, GPB no longer has the leverage to pull as much money as possible from Showtime for airing their fights. What does GPB do when they want to air a fight and Showtime says "No, we're not interested in airing this fight"??.. Why would Showtime bid against themselves??. GPB will have no choice but to run back to HBO and try to get them back in the mix. Sure for now everything is peaches and cream between GPB and Showtime, but in business and power things can change in an instant. Why do you think Schaefer hasn't bad mouthed HBO like he has Top Rank? I'm sure it's because he understands that he still needs HBO in order to get every last dollar possible for his fighters and his promotion.. Explain to me why Showtime would hand out any more lucrative Mayweather like contracts to GBP fighters with no other competition to bid against for their services?. You need to look at the bigger picture my friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X