Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Fighter of the Year at this point?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the Fighter of the Year at this point?

Years not over but there's only one significant fight left and that's Ward vs Froch. No dominant candidate this year, the field is wide open. Here are the top in my opinion.

Nonito Donaire:
    Wins: Fernando Montiel (TKO 2), Omar Narvaez (UD)

Probably the favorite, his win over Fernando Montiel was KO of the year and possibly the best performance of 2011, considering Montiel was a top 10 P4P fighter and Donaire moved up in weight to win the belt. Although his next fight against Omar Narvaez was a disappointment, Donaire was still dominant in a near shutout.

Manny Pacquaio:
    Wins: Shane Mosley (UD), Juan Manuel Marquez (MD)

Manny still probably has the best two wins of 2011 simply based on resume, but his lack of a spectacular win and his questionable decision over Marquez hurt his case.

Andre Ward/Carl Froch:
    Wins: Andre Ward UD Athur Abraham, Carl Froch MD Glen Johnson
    Upcoming fights: Andre Ward vs Carl Froch

Put these two together because it comes down to their fight Dec 17. The winner will probably be a top 2 favorite.

Juan Manuel Marquez:
    Wins: Likar Ramos (TKO 1)
    Losses: Manny Pacquaio (UD)

I don't know of any fighter to win FOTY with a loss, but if the case can be made for anyone, it's Juan Manuel Marquez. His one round KO of Likar Ramos means little, but his performance against Pacquaio as an 8-1 underdog was the most surprising of the year.

Bernard Hopkins:
    Wins: Jean Pascal (UD)
    Losses: Chad Dawson (TKO 2)

Hopkins put on one of the most historic performances ever in beating Jean Pascal to become the oldest champion in history. He certainly would have it locked up had he beaten Chad Dawson, but lossed in a controversial TKO ruling.

Brandon Rios:
    Wins: Miguel Acosta (TKO 10), Urbano Antillon (KO 3)
    Upcoming fights: John Murray

A darkhorse candidate, especially if he beats Murray. Rios became world champion this year by TKO of Miguel Acosta, and then followed it up with a spectacular performance against Urbano Antillon.

Wladimir Klitschko:
    Wins: David Haye (UD)
    Upcoming fights: Jean Mormeck

Based off of dominance more than anything. Shutout Haye in the biggest heavyweight fight in years. Case can be made if he beats Mormeck.

Amir Khan:
    Wins: Paul McCloskey (TD 6), Zab Judah (KO 5)
    Upcoming fights: Lamont Peterson

If Amir Khan puts on another dominating performance against Lamont Peterson on Dec 10, it can be argued that Khan had the most consistent year of any fighter, and was the busiest fighter of any candidate.

Sergio Martinez:
    Wins: Serhiy Dzinziruk (TKO 8), Darren Barker (KO 11)

Defending 2010 FOTY, two dominating wins over two good opponents.
    Nonito Donare
    13.40%
    Manny Pacquaio
    3.09%
    Winner of Ward/Froch
    29.90%
    Juan Manuel Marquez
    20.62%
    Bernard Hopkins
    8.25%
    Brandon Rios
    4.12%
    Wladimir Klitschko
    5.15%
    Amir Khan
    7.22%
    Sergio Martinez
    4.12%
    Other
    4.12%
    Last edited by Dunkeroo23; 11-22-2011, 02:47 AM.

Rios deserves it if he wins in December

Comment

voted the winner of Froch vs Ward because that is the most significant fight of the year imo. Donaire had the best year performance wise. But I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Brandon Rios win it. ur rite this year is wide open

Comment

Nonito is leading and would put this away if he is fighting again before end of the yearm but Froch-Ward winner could get the nod ...

Comment

i think b hops win over pascal is monumental. i choose bhop.

Comment

Still riding the Marquez high, gotta go with him

Comment

its the ward/froch winner hands down

Comment

Damn, absolutely zero votes for Pacquiao as I'm writing this. I think its safe to say the Cotto fight was his last hurrah. I don't think he'll ever have as big of a year as he did in 2009 again. But I could be wrong, we'll just see if the Floyd fight happens soon.

Comment

I say the winner between Ward vs Froch is the FOTY.

Followed by Nonito Donaire his knockout win over Montiel is just so glorious and memorable. And it catapulted him to the P4P list. Only setback he fought a mediocre fight after Montiel.

Comment

I think Donaire should get it, but it will most likely go to the winner of Froch and Ward because it will fresher in most peoples mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X