No announcement yet.

Magomed Abdusalamov

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magomed Abdusalamov

(The following article was written by ESPN's Michael Woods, and was posted on December 18.)

Magomed Abdusalamov Career Over

NEW YORK -- The neurosurgeon attending to heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov, who sustained life-threatening injuries in a Nov. 2 bout at Madison Square Garden Theater, has told ESPNNewYork.com that the Russian-born boxer will not fight again despite his condition improving.

"He's going to get better, I'm confident," Dr. Rupendra Swarup said Wednesday, "but he will not be the same. He's going to have neurological deficits."

Abdusalamov, who was put in a medically induced coma following brain surgery to remove a blood clot suffered the night of the bout, is no longer comatose, can open his eyes and can breathe on his own.

The 32-year-old, known as "Mago," was hurt in a 10-round faceoff with Mike Perez in a clash of heavyweight prospects vying to rise to contender status. Abdusalamov will be taken from Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan to a rehabilitation facility in New Jersey as early as Thursday.

"When the patient came in, he was almost dead," said Swarup, the director of the neurosurgical intensive care unit at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. "From that point of view, he's come a very long way."

Married and the father of three daughters, Abdusalamov reacts with his eyes when someone shows him video of his girls on a phone, his brother, Abdusalam, said Wednesday.

Russian boxing promoter Andrey Ryabinsky will foot the bill for at least two months of rehab, said Nathan Lewkowicz, the son of Abdusalamov's promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, in addition to covering the hospital bills.

"Rehab is $3,000 a day," Nathan Lewkowicz said. "Ryabinsky is stepping up and helping out the family."

Abdusalam Abdusalamov said the tragedy has been hard on the entire family and that their parents have been heavily affected by the events. Of Mago, the brother said, via an app on his phone that translated Russian to English, "He very much loves his daughters; he never imagined himself in such a situation. He always said boxing is his life."

god bless you

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      (The following article was written by ESPN's Michael Woods, and was posted on December 18.)

Magomed Abdusalamov Career Over

NEW YORK -- The neurosurgeon attending to heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov, who sustained life-threatening injuries in a Nov. 2 bout at Madison Square Garden Theater, has told ESPNNewYork.com that the Russian-born boxer will not fight again despite his condition improving.

"He's going to get better, I'm confident," Dr. Rupendra Swarup said Wednesday, "but he will not be the same. He's going to have neurological deficits."

Abdusalamov, who was put in a medically induced coma following brain surgery to remove a blood clot suffered the night of the bout, is no longer comatose, can open his eyes and can breathe on his own.

The 32-year-old, known as "Mago," was hurt in a 10-round faceoff with Mike Perez in a clash of heavyweight prospects vying to rise to contender status. Abdusalamov will be taken from Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan to a rehabilitation facility in New Jersey as early as Thursday.

"When the patient came in, he was almost dead," said Swarup, the director of the neurosurgical intensive care unit at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. "From that point of view, he's come a very long way."

Married and the father of three daughters, Abdusalamov reacts with his eyes when someone shows him video of his girls on a phone, his brother, Abdusalam, said Wednesday.

Russian boxing promoter Andrey Ryabinsky will foot the bill for at least two months of rehab, said Nathan Lewkowicz, the son of Abdusalamov's promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, in addition to covering the hospital bills.

"Rehab is $3,000 a day," Nathan Lewkowicz said. "Ryabinsky is stepping up and helping out the family."

Abdusalam Abdusalamov said the tragedy has been hard on the entire family and that their parents have been heavily affected by the events. Of Mago, the brother said, via an app on his phone that translated Russian to English, "He very much loves his daughters; he never imagined himself in such a situation. He always said boxing is his life."
      Still so sad. Especially for being a father. Im glad he is alive and im hoping he proves the doctors wrong.

Thanks for keeping up with the story and putting up the articles. Its good to know people still care even months after the fight is over and the headlines are gone. Major props to you as always Cubano!

Comment

That was hell of the fight, it is so sad that "Mago" suffered such a big tragedy. I hope he will recover and will live the rest of his life proud as a former only once defeated hard puncher.

Comment

I knew from the beginning his boxing career would be over as far as fighting goes. No athletic commission anywhere would grant him a license even if he seemed to return to 100%. He may recover enough to return to the sport in a trainer or support mode though. So all is not lost. Keep getting better Mago.

Comment

You definitely do not return from a stroke physically, mentally, and neurologically.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
              Still so sad. Especially for being a father. Im glad he is alive and im hoping he proves the doctors wrong.

Thanks for keeping up with the story and putting up the articles. Its good to know people still care even months after the fight is over and the headlines are gone. Major props to you as always Cubano!
              Thanks, bro.

It's always terrible to hear about a death or serious injury in boxing; but it really hits home when you actually watch the fight, especially if you have a special interest in one of the fighters. I was rooting for Perez, but it was deflating to learn about Mago's injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                I knew from the beginning his boxing career would be over as far as fighting goes. No athletic commission anywhere would grant him a license even if he seemed to return to 100%. He may recover enough to return to the sport in a trainer or support mode though. So all is not lost. Keep getting better Mago.
                I think most of us knew Mago would never fight again. The hope is that he'll lead a reasonably normal life some day.

I met a man a few weeks ago (one of my girlfriend's co-workers) who had a stroke about a year ago. He's in his early forties. I would never have guessed he suffered such an incident. He appeared perfectly normal. My girlfriend tells me the only thing he complains about are some memory issues.

I've known others who've experienced strokes. They weren't so lucky. The differences between one stroke victim and another can be vast. I sincerely hope Mago is one of the lucky ones.

Comment

This is a very sad situation but I'm glad to hear he is doing better I really hope he makes a full recovery although he won't box anymore, there's more to life than just boxing hopefully he can find away to still be involved in the sport after he recovers

Comment

Working...
                  X