Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather/Ortiz enhance or take away from Mayweather's Legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted for enhances his legacy. Here's why: It highlighted his cold minded ruthless streak for those who had previously slept on it. He is a mean veteran pro and thats what happens when u butt him. He actually went UP in my estimations after that. Throw in the fact that he was dominating a bull strong puncher with speed who was coming off a big title win over an undefeated star, was a full stone heavier and a decade younger prior

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
      What really sucks about this one, is I don't think this win will work for Mayweather down the road very much. I have big doubts Ortiz is going to excel at the highest level against other elite opponents. If Ortiz were to get sparked in the middle rounds verse a Pacquiao or Cotto, it wouldn't make the win look much better imo.
      Ortiz is a fake fighter so yea, he might have success but always at the highest level he will fall short I reckon unless confronted with a pure boxer who is more fake than he.

To me that is why the win will always be just against another solid guy, it is hard to even compare Ortiz to the best guys Floyd beat because at least those guys were real fighters, no matter how much Ortiz does this stuff will always haunt him especially in key defining moments.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Like I said beating one guy like Ortiz really means very little to him overall but if he beats 10 more that means a lot.

He should get credit for the win but to me he was going to have to do a lot to really go beyond that, he didn't do that other than to take advantage of a rookie mistake which in the heat of the moment a lot of fighters don't really do that.

A win is a win though and really Ortiz made the mistakes not Floyd how much do you fault a guy for taking advantage of another guys blunder, Do people short Jordan for pushing dude from the Jazz out of the way to hit the championship winning shot, Jordan took advantage of the guy being overly aggressive which allowed him to get that extra push.
        Right, but Jordan hitting that shot off a push didn't result with the game ending midway through the second quarter.. Leaving fans confused and wondering where the other quarters went. I think a big problem with this fight is it left a fans feeling ripped off, and a lot off that ripped off feeling is attributed to how the KO came..

I think the parallel is relevant, but in the end I think Jordan's play strikes fans as having been heroic in going above and beyond, and Mayweather's play being less than heroic..

How long do you think it will be until Mayweather fights again? I'm guessing it's against Amir Khan and it will be announced well inside of 12 months time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          I voted for enhances his legacy. Here's why: It highlighted his cold minded ruthless streak for those who had previously slept on it. He is a mean veteran pro and thats what happens when u butt him. He actually went UP in my estimations after that. Throw in the fact that he was dominating a bull strong puncher with speed who was coming off a big title win over an undefeated star, was a full stone heavier and a decade younger prior
          Well I'm just glad to see a vote for "Enhanced" backed up with a thoughtful explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
            No it wont, it will be a question mark. Lets both hope he doesnt retire leaving a bigger one.
            By who? You? Nobody will be talking about this in years to come. It will just be another win by KO and a WBC belt that was added to the collection. Nothing more, nothing less. You can think what YOU want, but it really won't change anything. Really... at all.

It is what it is and it is a win by KO that was for the WBC belt. If anything is mentioned about Ortiz, it will be that he was the #2 WW.

In fact people might refer to that fight to teach young children that are inspired to box.

i.e.
            this is what NOT to do... kissing and hugging and not protecting yourself at all times. Let alone head butting because you are losing the fight in every way possiable.
            Last edited by WESS; 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
              By who? You? Nobody will be talking about this in years to come. It will just be another win by KO and a WBC belt that was added to the collection. Nothing more, nothing less. You can think what YOU want, but it really won't change anything. Really... at all.

It is what it is and it is a win by KO that was for the WBC belt. If anything is mentioned about Ortiz, it will be that he was the #2 WW.

In fact people might refer to that fight to teach young children that are inspired to box.

i.e.
              this is what NOT to do... kissing and hugging and not protecting yourself at all times. Let alone head butting because you are losing the fight in every way possiable.
              Whether you think the fight enhances or takes away, I find it hard to believe anyone will ever talk about or think about this fight again without immediately launching into a debate about the controversial KO.

For anyone who is just looking at his boxrec, sure it's a KO. But Imo a fighter's legacy cannot be explained with a boxrec alone.

Comment

it does nothing, shouldn't take away, still a HOF, it just doesn't move him anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post

i.e.
                  For boxrec warriors and bumsniffs maybe not, but it wont just go away.

Comment

It look's good on paper: beats a pretty tough, young, hungry fighter.

It look's bad when watching the fight: Ortiz should not have given Floyd any once of respect at all (all these guys that fight him try to be friendly only to get punched on the break or catch an elbow for their troubles). Portrays the image that one of the icons of the sport is down right dirty, thus the sport is dirty.

It looks bad in the context of Floyd's career: He is viewed by many as one of the greatest boxers ever yet had to act in an unsportsman-like way to win against an overmatched boxer. I agree that Ortiz's headbutt antics were drastically uncalled for but he was penalized within the confines of the rules.

If it wasn't really a bad thing to do, I don't see why so many in the media called it a cowardly act. I surmise there will be dirt coming out about behind the scenes talks between Floyd and Victor if there is no rematch. That "dirt" is what is going to really tarnish Floyd's career.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                      Whether you think the fight enhances or takes away, I find it hard to believe anyone will ever talk about or think about this fight again without immediately launching into a debate about the controversial KO.

For anyone who is just looking at his boxrec, sure it's a KO. But Imo a fighter's legacy cannot be explained with a boxrec alone.
                      Right but unless Ortiz becomes some boxing great, nobody will even talk about the fight. Let alone care. Bottom line is that it was a KO win for a belt and nobody will pay attention to it unless like I said, Ortiz becomes some great fighter down the road and people remember Ortiz and question how he was beaten.

Comment

Working...
                      X