No announcement yet.

Valve's PC/Console hybrid Steam Machine coming 2014

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's PC/Console hybrid Steam Machine coming 2014

The Steam Machine is a new PC/console hybrid created by Valve. Given by the specs, if I know my graphics cards, it will have considerably better graphics than the PS4 and XB One. For those who have not jumped on the mediocre bandwagon of the "next gen" consoles from Sony and Microsoft, this is something to keep an eye on, but don't get too excited yet, let's wait and read more news about it.

Valve renews Linux commitment, Microsoft and Sony should worry

This follows Valve's recently announced plans to move its Steam-gaming platform, with 65 million active accounts and games from hundreds of developers, into the living room with its Steam Machines project. An innovative living room device, Steam Machines will be powered by its own Linux-based distribution: SteamOS.
    http://www.zdnet.com/valve-renews-li...ry-7000023939/

Steam Machine prototype from iBuyPower for revealed, runs at 1080p and 60fps

UPDATE: The prototype from iBuyPower will reportedly only cost $499 and comes with a multicore AMD CPU and a discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card.

The additional details come from a report on the Verge, and reiterates that "existing Steam for Linux games should run quite well, at full 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second." As reported previously, Steam Machines will not run the entire Steam library, only those games which have been optimized specifically for the Linux-based Steam OS.

The article also claims the box above is "bigger than a PlayStation 4 but smaller than a Microsoft's Xbox One." The $500 price tag includes the Steam controller, wi-fi, Bluetooth, and a 500GB hard drive.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ste.../1100-6416393/

More info from what I have read, Valve won't make the machines directly, instead it will have different manufacturers create their own Steam Machines, so styles, shapes and colors will vary. The PS4-look alike above is apparently a prototype made by IBuyPower, a popular Gaming Desktop manufacturer.

This is what worries me before actually making this my new console of choice:

Steam Machines will not run the entire Steam library, only those games which have been optimized specifically for the Linux-based Steam OS.
    I don't know what this means exactly, but it doesn't sound good. The reason I haven't gotten the PS4 is because of lack of games, if this lacks even more games than PS4 in the end, I don't think it's worth it.

Comment

The game I'm looking most forward to this gen is Titanfall, and since it'll be out on PC I might just skip on the Xbone, and buy a top notch Steam Machine instead.

Comment

since most of the games worth playing is on windows I'm thinking this thing wont take off

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          since most of the games worth playing is on windows I'm thinking this thing wont take off
          That's what I want to know before I get too excited, how will Steam Machine's library of games compete with PS4/XB One?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            That's what I want to know before I get too excited, how will Steam Machine's library of games compete with PS4/XB One?
            it wont compete with X1/PS4 since it wont have many of the blockbuster titles people play you can go to steampowered dot com and check its library over 95% are exclusive to windows

most of the linux games are indie

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              it wont compete with X1/PS4 since it wont have many of the blockbuster titles people play you can go to steampowered dot com and check its library over 95% are exclusive to windows

most of the linux games are indie
              There are programs that let you play Windows games on Linux though.

Comment

Sony and Microsoft really need to get their **** together this generation as far as their pricing goes regarding their respective digital marketplaces : People who are new to steam are going to see the sales they routinely offer and have difficulty justifying buying anything from PSN or XBL.

I don't plan on buying the Steam box, but I'm hopeful that they'll manage to sell enough units to make it interesting/force Sony and Microsoft to stop being a couple of price gouging f*ggots.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  There are programs that let you play Windows games on Linux though.
                  Not to mention the fact that Valve most likely won't release anything third party anymore. It wouldn't make sense for them to release 'Half Life III' or 'Left 4 Dead III' on the competition's platforms.

They're intelligent enough to know that, and those fanbases are supportive and ardent enough to buy a Steam box just to play those games.

****, 'Half Life III' is probably the most anticipated game of all time. Making it Steambox-exclusive will produce some really interesting sales numbers.

Comment

A final note : 500GB of storage in this generation is a ****ing insult to gamers, especially with these ridiculous installation sizes and times. I expected Microsoft to **** that up, but I was surprised to see Sony do the same, and now I'm even more surprised to see Valve follow suit.

One of the many reasons I'm holding off on buying a new console is due to limited storage capacity - Give me a 1TB storage capacity or **** off.

Comment

Working...
                    X