Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you rather be beloved or be remembered as an all time great and hated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you rather be beloved or be remembered as an all time great and hated?

I have to say boxing fans are some of the most loyal, yet fickle people in the world

fighters who aren't great but are exciting like Arturo Gatti, Rocky Graziano, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini are in the Hall and their are guys that are not in there yet that truly deserved it more

sure they gave us chills, spills, and thrills but honestly I don't like good losers....I like winners

fighters Like Pernell Whitaker(late 80s-mid 90s), Floyd Mayweather(2004-present, and Roy Jones(mid 90s-2004) were the best fighters of their era but were not nearly as beloved as fighters they beat and showed superiority over....
    Jones was clearly the best of his time but fighters like Oscar De La Hoya and Trinidad are/were more beloved
    Julio Cesar Chavez is highly respected but Sweet Pea was the best of their time and really gets no fanfare and
    Mayweather has defeated more world class opposition than anyone active today but he definitely doesn't get as much respect as inferior fighters

Id rather be an all time great.....screw being beloved, you can maximize your money by being the best, not taking beatings for the fans....they not gonna raise my son for me when I have pugilistic dementia
    being beloved
    14.29%
    greatness
    85.71%

Originally posted by mastertech1985 View Post
    I have to say boxing fans are some of the most loyal, yet fickle people in the world

fighters who aren't great but are exciting like Arturo Gatti, Rocky Graziano, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini are in the Hall and their are guys that are not in there yet that truly deserved it more

sure they gave us chills, spills, and thrills but honestly I don't like good losers....I like winners

fighters Like Pernell Whitaker(late 80s-mid 90s), Floyd Mayweather(2004-present, and Roy Jones(mid 90s-2004) were the best fighters of their era but were not nearly as beloved as fighters they beat and showed superiority over....
    Jones was clearly the best of his time but fighters like Oscar De La Hoya and Trinidad are/were more beloved
    Julio Cesar Chavez is highly respected but Sweet Pea was the best of their time and really gets no fanfare and
    Mayweather has defeated more world class opposition than anyone active today but he definitely doesn't get as much respect as inferior fighters

Id rather be an all time great.....screw being beloved, you can maximize your money by being the best, not taking beatings for the fans....they not gonna raise my son for me when I have pugilistic dementia
    Hagler, Leonard, De La Hoya, Tyson, Lewis, Hatton, and Pacquiao were all exciting fighters that got paid a **** ton.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
      Hagler, Leonard, De La Hoya, Tyson, Lewis, Hatton, and Pacquiao were all exciting fighters that got paid a **** ton.
      true but out of all of them only Leonard or Hagler were the best of their time/era p4p.....Hagler didn't make as much as some fighters in his era that were not as good as he was

Leonard was the cash cow and either 1 or 2 p4p and wasn't beloved until his career was over...most thought he was a pretty boy and over paid until he proved it over the years

DLH, Hatton, Pacquaio, Lewis, and Tyson were all great in their own right but I wouldn't say they rank as high p4p or all time as Jones, Whitaker, and Mayweather who were truly once in a generation type talent and had the resumes to match

Comment

I would want to be hated by the public make some controversial remarks about some sensitive group retire with a few million then live in the middle of the arizona desert working on old firebirds

Comment

Originally posted by mastertech1985 View Post
          true but out of all of them only Leonard or Hagler were the best of their time/era p4p.....Hagler didn't make as much as some fighters in his era that were not as good as he was

Leonard was the cash cow and either 1 or 2 p4p and wasn't beloved until his career was over...most thought he was a pretty boy and over paid until he proved it over the years

DLH, Hatton, Pacquaio, Lewis, and Tyson were all great in their own right but I wouldn't say they rank as high p4p or all time as Jones, Whitaker, and Mayweather who were truly once in a generation type talent and had the resumes to match
          And that's where you're wrong. Floyd & Pac are ranked quite close to each other in most rankings by boxing writers/historians.

I'd choose to be an all time great + beloved like Pacquiao, best of both worlds.
          Last edited by gamefrk; 06-28-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X