No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn and The State of British Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
    How long before Eddie starts telling everyone how much Brook and Gavin hate each other?
    He's probably already started....

Comment

Here's the inevitable pop from Ol' Fish Eyes...

Comment

Hearn: ‘Less pay-per-views will help sport grow’

Posted on Aug 25, 2011

Matchroom Sport boss Eddie Hearn has backed Sky’s decision to put a freeze on pay-per-view billings in the upcoming season saying the move will help the sport to ‘grow’.

With two world title fights on the horizon, the return of Prizefighter and a major show in Belfast almost sold out, Hearn, who is already in full swing ahead of the new season, revealed he wasn’t a big fan of PPV shows.

Speaking at the UK leg of the Carl Froch vs Andre Ward press tour, Hearn said, ‘Sky have not said they are stopping pay-per-views, there are just no PPV fights out there at the moment.

‘If this fight [Froch vs Ward] was on in the UK and was on at 9pm it probably would have been PPV. Its not, and we don’t really want it on PPV because we want to make sure as much people watch it as possible.

‘I’m not obsessed with having PPV fights. Some people just want to be PPV fighters but if you’re a PPV fighter, you might earn a little bit more money but not a lot of people get to watch your fight. If we’re going to grow the sport I want to see less PPVs.

‘All I care about is growing the sport and delivering for fans and the response that we’re getting from fans at the moment drives me on to do more and more in the sport.

‘Its fantastic, and luckily at Matchroom we don’t rely on boxing as a business, because if we did we’d be in trouble, so we can invest in the fans, invest in the fighters and put on great shows.’

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuking LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          I don't know. Probably 4-500k buys and 500k gate at best.

500k buys at £15 makes 7.5m - I guess that would be quite low. Didn't really consider that but I still think the 1.5 million offer is good considering what he earned previously. Even Groves only made a little more than that for the Froch fight and that did close to 1 million buys reportedly. Froch did take home £8.5million from what I heard though.

I don't know. I still don't think that the purse is the obstacle. But I can't see how Barry McGuigan should be able to top that offer with backing from ITV.
          I'd estimate that the £1.5 million offer is probably cheap to the tune of about 500k-1mil. I'm surprised Sky are not putting pressure on Hearn to be more reasonable so they can get the fight. It is true though that Frampton cannot get anywhere near as good a purse elsewhere so even though Hearn is trying to get Frampton on the cheap side, out of his own greed and probably spite, the purse is still the best out there for Frampton.

The Groves-Froch fight was mandated so that is why the split was like that.

Comment

Hearn has no intentions of making Frampton-Quigg.

They're not going to do Mayweather-Pacquaio, Brook-Gavin, Brook-Rios and then Frampton-Quigg all on PPV in the space of less than 3 months.

Comment

Frampton digging out Hearn and Quigg

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Frampton digging out Hearn and Quigg

"trying to embarrass people into fights" - frampton

perfectly sums up the way hern conducts his affairs

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  Just back from another ban (thanks Boston Guy) and have missed quite a pivotal week in the landscape of British boxing. Warning I'm a long winded **** and this covers a few topics so this might take a while to read if you can be arsed. I'll try break it into sections...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When Edward Cornelius Hearn first entered the boxing business funded by Daddy Hearn, he was a bit of a breath of fresh air. A young, handsome (no ****) cheeky chappy who looked to challenge the old guard lead by the likes of Frank Warren, Frank Maloney and Mick Hennesy.

It all started brightly for Eddie. He was making fights the fans wanted to see and was giving us unprecedented access and inside information via his interviews with Kugan Cassius on IFL TV. I for one appreciated some of the transparency and the honesty he used to show in his interviews. With the sole backing of Sky Sports, he was able to nick everyone else's talent and become the most powerful promoter in the UK game. All this culminated in the massive Froch-Groves II fight at Wembley last year which admittedly was a great event.

Ever since then, something has changed and I believe "Fast Car" Eddie's true character has been revealed. He has become completely obsessed with "domestic dust-ups" to the point where he actually put a fight between recently KO'd Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew on PPV. Fuking PAY-PER-VIEW. Yes that actually happened. He clearly doesn't give a **** about boxing fans and is trying to milk casuals on this idea of British grudge matches most of which are based on fake or manufactured rivalries.

He has promised Sky another couple of PPV dates this year, arrogantly believing that everyone was going to dance to his tune.

In the case of Amir Khan - I struggle to make excuses for Amir. I understand he has issues with the Hearn's but there is no excuse for turning down the Brook fight which is his highest purse and a world title when the other option is Chris Algieri. Juan Manuel Marquez, Tim Bradley, Miguel Cotto, even Adrien Broner I'd accept. But not #ChampionLifestyle. Some of Amir's excuses are pathetic.

So now Kell Brook is set to face Frankie Gavin . Everyone knows that's a **** fight but Brook was never going to be fighting anyone good on such short notice (May 30th). But then Brook is going to headline a show in July where his big name opponent will be Brandon Rios apparently. I understand that he is something of a big name but he is also a guy who, like Algieri, lost every single round to Pacquaio in an embarrassing effort.

In the case of Carl Frampton vs. Scott Quigg though, you can start to understand why people like Khan and even George Groves don't want to deal with this pompous ****. He has clearly come under heavy pressure from Sky to deliver a domestic super fight on PPV and he has become desperate.

Posing on television with a fuking cheque in your hand alongside the dead-eyed and half-******ed Scott Quigg (who clearly doesn't really know what's going on, poor lad) was one of the funniest images of 2015 so far.

Why would Carl Frampton - a real world champion and much bigger draw - travel to Scott Quigg's hometown and fight for a flat rate? Whilst Hearn gets to keep all of the revenue for the fight from ticket and PPV sales - most of which will be down to Frampton's popularity and which will likely far exceed the £1.5million on offer. How dumb does he think Frampton is? And more importantly how thick does he think the British public are?

Unfortunately a lot of the casual public are morons and will fall for this latest publicity stunt. Hearn has become far too big for his boots. The **** even booked Wembley months in advance arrogantly believing that everything would just fall into place for him.

At the moment I find myself torn between wanting to see all these fights plus go to a boxing event at Wembley but on the other hand, I'm pissing my pants laughing that Hearn has been told to stick it up his arse by several big names who he has tried to dictate terms to and is now sweating his bollox off at not being able to deliver on his promises to Sky

I was never a supporter of Sky giving Hearn sole control and now we're starting to see the pitfalls. He clearly needs to be taken down a peg or two.
                  you are a long winded fucker alright but I gather the main theme of the post is confirming that hearn is a lying thieving greedy cunt who manages time and again to fool the moronic british public into buying his horseshit PPVs ... so if that is indeed the meat of your post then you get a thumbs up and whole hearted agreement from me

Comment

Don't hate the player(s), hate the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                      "trying to embarrass people into fights" - frampton

perfectly sums up the way hern conducts his affairs
                      At least Frampton is willing to negotiate and isn't making ridiculous excuses like Queen Khan

Comment

Working...
                      X