Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi the two best in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough, but they are from last season. That stat baffles me, he rarely seems to lose possession.

Does shots on goal mean shots on target or just any shot?

Still leagues above anyone in the past 20 years barring possibly Zidane.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
      Thank you.

Zidane gets overshadowed far too much when conversations about the GOATs get brought up.
      This is because he didn't look flashy running around people. Zidane was an epic player, he could stand in midfield and control a game.

Similarly defenders are overlooked in favour of flashy attackers. Paolo Maldini anyone? Beckenbauer?

And what of 'keepers? a prime Schmeichel was worth a goal or two per game, Yashin?
      Last edited by Weebler I; 12-16-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
        Fair enough, but they are from last season. That stat baffles me, he rarely seems to lose possession.

Does shots on goal mean shots on target or just any shot?

Still leagues above anyone in the past 20 years barring possibly Zidane.
        Why do people forget about Brazilian Ronaldo?

Hes in the same league of any of the greatest ever

Comment

Originally posted by AssasinKing View Post
          Why do people forget about Brazilian Ronaldo?

Hes in the same league of any of the greatest ever
          I would hardly forget about him, my username is in homage to him

I think without the knee injuries he could've been the GOAT. He was just never that same beast after the first major injury playing for Inter. He was still world class, just not at Zidane's level after the turn of the century I thought. Up till about '99 he was the better of the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            This is because he didn't look flashy running around people. Zidane was an epic player, he could stand in midfield and control a game.

Similarly defenders are overlooked in favour of flashy attackers. Paolo Maldini anyone? Beckenbauer?

And what of 'keepers? a prime Schmeichel was worth a goal or two per game, Yashin?
            He tended to glide past players really.

And he didn't look flashy running around people? Please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mXGMcpA0g

Maldini is possibly my all time favorite defender. Too young to have seen Beckenbauer.

Schmeichel is the best keeper I've seen in my lifetime.

Comment

He tended to glide past players really.

And he didn't look flashy running around people? Please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mXGMcpA0g

Maldini is possibly my all time favorite defender. Too young to have seen Beckenbauer.

Schmeichel is the best keeper I've seen in my lifetime.
              I think he lacked top-end pace compared to Ronaldo and Messi, so didn't catch the eye to the same extent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                I think he lacked top-end pace compared to Ronaldo and Messi, so didn't catch the eye to the same extent.
                I see what you're saying and it's true ZZ didn't have that explosive pace. CR7 has that in abundance. I don't think Messi really has explosive pace but he's quite quick.

ZZ just had the ability to glide past players and the speed in which he thought meant he was always that yard or two sharper.

One thing in ZZ's favour when the GOAT debate comes up is he ran the show at WC 98 & Euro 2000. Not to mention coming out of international retirement to drag France to another final against Italy.

Comment

For me though thinking about it right now Zidane is the GOAT. The guy carried teams both domestically and internationally. He was incredible.
                  Much respect for you sir, for mentioning the greatest payer to ever play the Midfield position .

Originally posted by Hamza305 View Post
                  Zidane and Cruyff are the GOAT's respectively. If Messi wins a World Cup then yeah, he's gonna be at the top of the food chain.
                  Cruyff, the man responsible for making Barca what it is today.

Comment

I see what you're saying and it's true ZZ didn't have that explosive pace. CR7 has that in abundance. I don't think Messi really has explosive pace but he's quite quick.

ZZ just had the ability to glide past players and the speed in which he thought meant he was always that yard or two sharper.

One thing in ZZ's favour when the GOAT debate comes up is he ran the show at WC 98 & Euro 2000. Not to mention coming out of international retirement to drag France to another final against Italy.
                    I remember going into the 2006 world cup all the talk was about the new superstars of world football such as Ronaldinho and Kaka, Zizou was supposed to be the old has been and Ronaldinho and co were gonna be the stars of the show yet the footballing lesson Zizou gave to that Brazillian team in the QF(iirc) which included them superstars was one of the most magical performances i've ever seen on a football pitch. Toying with the likes of Kaka, Ronaldinho and Robinho just to mention a few at an age when he was written off by the footballing world just showed how great Zidane really was and how far ahead he was of legendary players in their own right such as Ronaldinho and Kaka.

By no means do i say this as a slight meant on players like Ronaldinho who will always remain one of my most favourite players of all time but more to highlight just how great of a player Zidane was.

Whilst i think Messi is the GOAT, Zizou will always remain my favourite player of all time, with El Fenomeno in second place.

I remember as a kid EVERYONE knew the name Ronaldo. In school it was always everyone arguing over who got to be Ronaldo on the playground. Even people around me at the time who weren't even the slightest bit interested in or know a thing about football knew about Ronaldo.

Comment

I loved zidane so elegant. Fat ronaldo had the potential to be the GOAT but injuries scuppered that. How anyone can put ronaldinho ahead of CR, messi and zidane is absurd.

I have a bias for CR he instantly became my fav united player on his debut.

Out of All of those names I would take zizou!! Anyone remember the volley against Leverkusen? I was stunned silent for 10mins

Comment

Working...
                      X