No announcement yet.

No Choice: Calzaghe Must Face Kessler Next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peder View Post
    Challenging, perhaps, but he didn't win them all.

Kessler hasn't got an all time great record list - far from. I agree.
    But ever since he could, he picked the best he could get - Except Eric Lucas, they were high rated. This is over a short period of time, and you can only pick a fight with who's around. He wouldn't get any credit for fighting anybody fresh of a defeat.

Kessler hasn't just won his previous fights, he has outclassed every single one. Altered his style to every opponent, and shown complete control. Did Lacy do that as well?

Siaka - WBA, you wouldn't know who Kessler was if he didn't take that fight.
    Mundine - mandatory
    Eric Lucas - was rated in the top ten, but he was past his best.
    Beyer - WBC, it helpt get attention.
    Andrade - WBC, mandatory.

But he has done enough to be called legit.

And I think we all agree anyway. This is the fight if Joe stays at smw..

What Joe does next is more exiting than his upcoming fight..
    FAIR point.. I knew someone would bring up the fact that Lacy has a Loss in there
    But to also be fair.. Kessler hasn't fough anyone of His own or Calzaghes stature..
    Lacy did

Comment

Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
      "At least 1 champ"

What was Ross Thompson? What was Robin Reid? Rubin Williams?

In fact Reid and Williams alone I consider better than everyone Kessler has ever faced in his entire life.
      i think kessler should fight robin reid next.. the reaperman will tell us some things about kessler, and be a better test than andrade

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth View Post
        i think kessler should fight robin reid next.. the reaperman will tell us some things about kessler, and be a better test than andrade
        If it was Reid from even 2 years ago I would agree..
        But I think reid is alittle past his sell by date..
        And that would just be another Eric Lucas type fight..

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
          FAIR point.. I knew someone would bring up the fact that Lacy has a Loss in there
          But to also be fair.. Kessler hasn't fough anyone of His own or Calzaghes stature..
          Lacy did
          I agree.
          Calzaghe is a big step up, but the only step up left in 168.
          Last edited by Peder; 03-27-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised RWK doesn't think this fight should happen.

This is not a megafight in the sense of publicity but it is in fact a huge fight for the real boxing enthusiast.

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
              If it was Reid from even 2 years ago I would agree..
              But I think reid is alittle past his sell by date..
              And that would just be another Eric Lucas type fight..
              well, we'll see what reid's got left soon, i think he supposed to be fighting jesse the joke brinkley pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nmuburner22 View Post

Joe Cal should move up and fight Tarver, Roy Jones, Bernard, Chad Dawson, Glen Johnson or Winky Wright.

Yeah -- a blown up light-middlweight whose best wins have been two narrow decicions over a welterweight; or a 42 years old previously retired grandpa who is 1-2 in his last 3 bouts.

Great fights indeed.

Maybe we should just move Joe to the "celebrity boxer" category and stop speaking about him in sports terms.

Comment

Originally posted by jangeorg View Post
                  Yeah -- a blown up light-middlweight whose best wins have been two narrow decicions over a welterweight; or a 42 years old previously retired grandpa who is 1-2 in his last 3 bouts.

Great fights indeed.

Maybe we should just move Joe to the "celebrity boxer" category and stop speaking about him in sports terms.
                  I don't know anyone who wants too see Calzaghe fight any of those guys. The only fight that is interesting is Jermain Taylor. Wright is too small, Tarver, RJJ, and Hopkins are done...

Comment

Originally posted by $iN View Post

-Winky and Hopkins are fighting each other in July. If Calzaghe chooses to hold out for one of them, that fight may not happen until the end of the year leaving plenty of time for an interim fight. Besides, it's not guaranteed that the winner will choose to fight Joe.
                    i think you are forgetting that joe needs about 6 or 7 months off between fights for his fists to recover from the pummelling they have just inflicted.

manfredo is in april which means his next fight probably won't be until October / November. so maybe the winner of winky / hopkins will be the next fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rooq View Post
                      i think you are forgetting that joe needs about 6 or 7 months off between fights for his fists to recover from the pummelling they have just inflicted.

manfredo is in april which means his next fight probably won't be until October / November. so maybe the winner of winky / hopkins will be the next fight.
                      Yeah, "maybe." Kessler has already made it well known he wants to fight Calzaghe. Winky and Hopkins have not. Calzaghe may not even be on their radar anymore...

Comment

Working...
                      X