Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what other Mayweather fight would satisfy Showtime PPV buys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what other Mayweather fight would satisfy Showtime PPV buys?

So Mayweather has gotten himself into a issue, Showtime guaranteeing him 32 millions pretty much means that the NORMAL 1 Million PPV buys which has always been considered excellent is not enough.

They seem to be wanting 1.2 million ppv buys and more.
    So to avoid a issue like the Guerrero fight, lets say if Mayweather beats Canelo, no draw, controversy, so no reason for a rematch.

Who does Mayweather fight at that point? There are many legit fights to be made, but which ones will satisfy the PPV requirements of Showtime?
    Of course Pacquiao and Martinez fight will do it, but there has to be other realistic options.

With the catchweight, there will always be controversy and the question of 'what if'. Personally, I feel the catchweight was a business move by mayweather to set up the rematch down the line as one of his last fights. Two huge fights that will set showtime into the green.

Besides that tho, I dunno. I guess wait and see how the 140 lb division shakes out, and I guess Martinez/GGG in the mix, but I don't know how those fights would do on ppv.

Comment

Showtime said thats a lie and no way would they make a deal where he has to get 1.2mil buys just for them to break even.

However, even if that were the case, I think the Floyd deal is far bigger than PPV buys. Its ok to take a lil loss to shift the balance of power. There are alot of teams who will go in debt in the short term to bring Lebron over because they know it helps in the long term.

Mayweather comes over which brings more viewers. More than that, he brings the bigger name boxers over with him. Even if you lose out some with Floyd, you make up for it by the other names he influnced to come over.

The fact is that HBO has always been the dominant figure. They still are. Its not going to be an overnight shift but getting Floyd makes it slowly start to change. They can go from being 100% less now down to just 80% less than HBO. By the end of the year it will be 70%.

By the end of next year it could be down to 40 or 50%. By the end of his deal they should be nearly even or better or just a lil less. Either way it would be well worth it as by that time Showtime will be considered the #1 boxing station

Comment

The winner of Danny Vs Lucas, yet I dont know if that will be a seller...

Comment

Realistically, the Pac fight ain't being made. Rival promotions, networks, split etc etc will be the reason unless something miraculously happens.

I could see a fight with Sergio but he did say he wouldn't fight Canelo on Showtime so who knows. There's Matthyse, Khan if he bounces back strongly and maybe Maidana(non ppv...I know, wishful thinking) Those are 5 possibilities with 3 getting great ppvs IMO. Well at least 1.2 buys. Then there's always a rematch with Canelo if ginger can work his way back with great showings against a few others.

Comment

Good post, i also thought about this as well.

I mentioned on previous thread that Canelo maybe Floyd last 1mill ppv buy, unless he fights Pac or rematch with Marquez, or maybe even Bradly if he beats Marquez.

Khan/Danny/Lucas/Lara/Devon i think all fall short of a million if they match with FLoyd....Well maybe Khan can crack a million since Khan is so popular in the UK.

Not to mention Floyd is on the weaker station Showtime that will make it even worse. I think if Floyd and Guerrero fight on HBO it would've hit a over a million.

Comment

its not just about who floyd fights its what he does to promote/market the fight.

Posters dont seem to get that the 1st fight was a guaranteed $32 mil payday-so floyd didn't spend any energy promoting it. He was bland on rome's show, there was no press tour, he wasn't "money may" when given time on air.

Moving forward, beginning with the canelo fight, there will be a huge press tour. I am also sure we will get more "money may" acts that get covered in the news and serve to promote the fight.

After this fight, a fight with Lucas/danny winner or the devon/khan winner. I think showtime has run the numbers for these fights.

Comment

Honestly, Broner may be the best choice but that fight wont be in demand for at least a year. If Broner can beat a solid WW contender, fans will really want to see that fight. I think if JMM can beat Bradley convincingly there would be some intrigue in a rematch (wins over Pac and Bradley) but Marquez does not want the fight. Plus you would have to convince the casual fans that things may play out differently in a rematch. It could be a tough sell. Also, if Khan can beat Devon that fight would look good on paper. Especially, if we see flashes of the old Khan offensively. His defensive deficiencies have been exposed throughout the years but at least he had an exciting offense under Roach and mixed up his arsenal.

Comment

By fighting Canelo it buys time for the WW division to shape up.

Comment

Originally posted by icerob View Post
                    Good post, i also thought about this as well.

I mentioned on previous thread that Canelo maybe Floyd last 1mill ppv buy, unless he fights Pac or rematch with Marquez, or maybe even Bradly if he beats Marquez.

Khan/Danny/Lucas/Lara/Devon i think all fall short of a million if they match with FLoyd....Well maybe Khan can crack a million since Khan is so popular in the UK.

Not to mention Floyd is on the weaker station Showtime that will make it even worse. I think if Floyd and Guerrero fight on HBO it would've hit a over a million.
                    you got a point

Comment

Working...
                    X