Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the past greats really that great!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it comes down to which old school fighters will be able to adapt better to modern regimes and techniques as opposed to back then e.g. I can see fighters like Muhammed Ali and Ray Robinson being able to transition their whole training methods from the ones they used in their era to the ones now and they'd most likely still be able to succeed in this era. Using say Jack Johnson, like you said, winging from the waist, if he winged in this era, no doubt he'd end up massacred. I really do think it ultimately comes down to which fighters are willing to better their skills using modern ways rather than relying what they used in the past eras ago,

Comment

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sugar Ray Robinson? Send for the coroner.

Comment

I understand the argument but look at it the opposite way how would Manny Pacquiao have done back in the day without his strength and conditioning coach without alot of the modern boxing equipment and modern diets

Comment

Originally posted by shawowski View Post
          I agree with you, my friends dont share the same opinion tho. With
          and the evolution of man becoming faster and stronger, i think modern fighters would have a better chance

Only a few of today's fighters can fight on the inside..let alone survive 15 round fights.

Canelo is 21 and he was breathing hard after 3 rounds...

The Klit Bros gass-out easilly..

Evidently many of today's fighters haven't taken advantage of all those advanced training techniques and nutrition....

All that crap is a MYTH....

The biggest era for heavyweights was from 1920's to the 1950's..

Comment

well thats my point really. The technique has evolved therefore we have better boxers in the modern era.

And im talking about modern greats against old greats. Julio cesar chavez JR doesnt fit the bill im afraid.

Even with sugar ray robinson though, i can see defensive flaws in his style and definetly beleive we have had better fighters than him that arent as idolised.
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post

Only a few of today's fighters can fight on the inside..let alone survive 15 round fights.

Canelo is 21 and he was breathing hard after 3 rounds...

The Klit Bros gass-out easilly..

Evidently many of today's fighters haven't taken advantage of all those advanced training techniques and nutrition....

All that crap is a MYTH....

The biggest era for heavyweights was from 1920's to the 1950's..
              Again, your thinking too much in the present. 15 round fights are all well and good. Jack johnson used to fight 40 round fights!!! he stopped jess willard in the 26th round ( i think it was the 26th )

Comment

Can someone explain and breakdown the drastic differences in diet and training regimes between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Sugar Ray Robinson.

What does Mayweather, possibly the most gifted fighter of the last few decades, do differently that makes him so much more modern and evolved than Robinson?

Chin ups? Jump rope? Heavybag? Pads?

What about diet? What's in Mayweather's diet that makes him so much more evolved than Robinson?

Meat? Vegetables?

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
                  I understand the argument but look at it the opposite way how would Manny Pacquiao have done back in the day without his strength and conditioning coach without alot of the modern boxing equipment and modern diets
                  Not having a strength and conditioning coach would be the least of Pac's problems.

What modern boxing equipment....?????????????????????

Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey had....

Speed bags
                  Heavy bags
                  Double-end bags
                  They hit the mitts
                  They sparred
                  They swam
                  They chopped wood
                  They swung sledge hammers
                  Medicine balls
                  free weights
                  Jump rope
                  weight machines and devices of every type and description..
                  ect ect ect..

And they ate PURE food and CLEAN water free of lead...mercury..strontium 90..aluminum. ect ect....they didn't have radio-active isotopes embedded in their DNA.

ALL fighters from the past had a STRICT DIET and training regiment..

The only thing they didn't have is video tape,air-conditioned gyms...and PLENTY places to eat ALL THE TIME.

You muthafu.cka's have to stop repeating dumb shi.t your heard from some loser that doesn't have a clue..
                  Last edited by AlwaysOnTop; 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Can someone explain and breakdown the drastic differences in diet and training regimes between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Sugar Ray Robinson.

What does Mayweather, possibly the most gifted fighter of the last few decades, do differently that makes him so much more modern and evolved than Robinson?

Chin ups? Jump rope? Heavybag? Pads?

What about diet? What's in Mayweather's diet that makes him so much more evolved than Robinson?

Meat? Vegetables?
                    I think were steering off the topic here. Im not talking about diets and fitness training, as im pretty sure the older fighters were freaks of nature when it came to fitness. Im talking about the sweet science, head movement, defense, ring generalship e.t.c......

Basically how boxing technique has evolved, not fitness methods
                    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I'm young and relatively new to the sport in that I don't have decade after decade watching it and I don't study the history of it like that, I watched my first boxing fight back in the early 90's when I didn't even understand the sport I was just a kid. I have watched PPV's live like Tyson-Holyfield, the ear incident one in 97 or something, DLH-Trinidad in 1999..but I was only a kid who hadn't fully understand the sport and only watched it cause my dad was watching it. I was more in to baseball.

Anyways with that said, maybe i'm supposed to be on the "new school" fighters side, but actually I think the fighters of back in the day are better nutrition than the one's from now at least better nutrioned than some, and I am a big fan of science, I really am and I understand science is much better now. You have guys now fighting in scheduled 12 rounders, but getting tired well before that. You have guys back then going 15 rounds, and only getting tired like they do now, in the last 13th-15th rounds. That says well-nutrioned all over it, and tougher. About skill, I don't know what to say about that, people act like now the fighters are aliens from another planet who can teleport to different parts of the ring and can become invisible. It's not like that, and it's pointless to trash the old fighters now that they can't even defend themselves by kicking any new fighters ass.

Of course, guys like Mayweather, Williams, Pacquiao, Bradley, Marquez, Donaire, Ward, Gamboa, etc...these guys seem like they don't have any problem going full 12 rounds without getting tired, and I can see them going 15.

Comment

Working...
                      X