Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Robeisy Ramirez defect from Cuba and turn pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say go for a 3rd gold and turn pro at 26. By then, he may not even have to defect anymore.

I look at it like this. Look at Felix Verdejo. He turned pro 4 years ago and still hasn't fought world level opposition yet. Whereas Vasyl Lomachenko turned pro in his mid 20s and was put on the fast track.

The question becomes, to you gain better experience fighting world level amateurs or cab drivers. With the amateur scoring and fighting styles resembling the pros more and more, I think he is fighting better quality opposition and taking less damage by waiting a few more years.

Comment

From what I understand, Robeisy wanted more money for his participation in the WSB. Cuban officials punished him for it and excluded Ramirez from some competitions. Typical communist bullshit. Robeisy, now a little older, might feel the capitalist itch even more strongly. On the other hand, he's still a very young man. It's not easy leaving everyone and everything you know behind. Older Cuban athletes have come to the States and wilted under the headiness of newfound freedom and the weight of loneliness.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        I say go for a 3rd gold and turn pro at 26. By then, he may not even have to defect anymore.

I look at it like this. Look at Felix Verdejo. He turned pro 4 years ago and still hasn't fought world level opposition yet. Whereas Vasyl Lomachenko turned pro in his mid 20s and was put on the fast track.

The question becomes, to you gain better experience fighting world level amateurs or cab drivers. With the amateur scoring and fighting styles resembling the pros more and more, I think he is fighting better quality opposition and taking less damage by waiting a few more years.
        Some great points, bro. Personally, I'd like to see Robeisy defect and turn pro ASAP -- but what you've said makes a lot of sense. As a younger pro fighter, Ramirez would get the opportunity to gradually build his name recognition. Then again, a third gold medal would be a great selling point...and he would still be quite young. I suppose either way Robeisy should be ok, as long as he stays healthy and, of course, winning.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Some great points, bro. Personally, I'd like to see Robeisy defect and turn pro ASAP -- but what you've said makes a lot of sense. As a younger pro fighter, Ramirez would get the opportunity to gradually build his name recognition. Then again, a third gold medal would be a great selling point...and he would still be quite young. I suppose either way Robeisy should be ok, as long as he stays healthy and, of course, winning.
          Yeah I would love to see him go pro. But in today's era, young fighters are typically moved along slow. Errol Spence Jr., Gary Russell, Oscar Valdez, etc. are all in their mid-20s and are still very much unproven.

On the flipside, you see guys who turn pro older like Loma, Beterbeiv, Rigo, etc. who turn pro and are title contenders within a handful of fights. Plus they can fight well into their 30s because their bodies aren't sustaining punishment at a young age.

Every fighter is different, but it just comes down which track gives him the best opportunity to succeed in the pros.

Being the first 3x Olympic gold medalist would be a HUGE selling point but as would turning pro now with 2 golds and being exposed to the American audience at a much younger age.

I just hope this isn't another Rigo or GGG situation where he doesn't get his opportunity until he's past his physical peak or leeches get a hold of him and stagnate his career.

Comment

I would love to see Ramirez go pro he can transition into it and given his superb skillset i think he could be a dominant champ in no time.

He's already accomplished a lot in the amateurs, everything he has won has been gold and is already considered one of the best amateurs of alm time....at only 22 thats crazy.

If he were to stick around another yr and adds another Olympic gold medal to his already amazing amateur career that would mean he would turn pro right around the same age Loma did and he could very well have a quick rise like Loma

Now if he goes for a 4th medal well at that point he might very well be regarded as the GOAT amateur/olympic boxer but he would be turning pro at 30 and would lose those prime yrs in the pros.

Regardless i enjoy seeing Robeisy in action he's as complete as they come, i just hope he decides to go pro sooner than later.
            Last edited by kidbazooka; 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

My worry is that the closer the US and Cuba get the less likely America is to want to piss off the Cuban regime by welcoming guys like Ramirez with open arms. At least in the past when they were full on enemies, it would be a propaganda coup for the US to have boxers defecting to them

The dream is that Cuba becomes a fully capitalist western state and all their boxers are given a personal choice, but i dont see that happening anytime soon

Comment

That's for the guy to decide who knows what his circumstances are, but as a selfish fan of boxing my answer is of course . Actually he could try for a 3rd gold medal then get on that fast track Lomachenko train in his mid twenties.

Comment

Robeisy is so talented i can definitely see him going the same path as Lomachenko picking up a championship within just a few fights.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    Yeah I would love to see him go pro. But in today's era, young fighters are typically moved along slow. Errol Spence Jr., Gary Russell, Oscar Valdez, etc. are all in their mid-20s and are still very much unproven.

On the flipside, you see guys who turn pro older like Loma, Beterbeiv, Rigo, etc. who turn pro and are title contenders within a handful of fights. Plus they can fight well into their 30s because their bodies aren't sustaining punishment at a young age.

Every fighter is different, but it just comes down which track gives him the best opportunity to succeed in the pros.

Being the first 3x Olympic gold medalist would be a HUGE selling point but as would turning pro now with 2 golds and being exposed to the American audience at a much younger age.

I just hope this isn't another Rigo or GGG situation where he doesn't get his opportunity until he's past his physical peak or leeches get a hold of him and stagnate his career.
                    You've convinced me.
                    He should go for his 3rd gold then be fastracked to a title once he turns pro.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                      You've convinced me.
                      He should go for his 3rd gold then be fastracked to a title once he turns pro.
                      What if the division he enters is too hot to be fast tracked?????

Comment

Working...
                      X