No announcement yet.

Biggest double standards in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest double standards in boxing

What are the biggest double standards you have seen in boxing or on nsb?

The recent mayweather-ariza thing is the most prominent example right now.

Pacquiao fans accusing Marquez of peds while denying any possibility of pac also being on peds is another one.

I still sometimes see ward fans justify ward staying in his hometown but complain about other fighters refusing to leave their home town once they have a belt.

Floyd beating a woman is bad but Tyson doing it was okay. (Different situations I know, but domestic violence is bad either way)

Any others? And please don't let this decend into a fanboy war. I just want to highlight any big double standards.

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
    What are the biggest double standards you have seen in boxing or on nsb?

The recent mayweather-ariza thing is the most prominent example right now.

Pacquiao fans accusing Marquez of peds while denying any possibility of pac also being on peds is another one.

I still sometimes see ward fans justify ward staying in his hometown but complain about other fighters refusing to leave their home town once they have a belt.

Floyd beating a woman is bad but Tyson doing it was okay. (Different situations I know, but domestic violence is bad either way)

Any others? And please don't let this decend into a fanboy war. I just want to highlight any big double standards.
    Haven't even bother to check out the comments regarding Ariza really. I don't care who he hires for his S&C coach.

Floyd and Tyson beating women is both bad. I can sympathise with Tyson slightly more because Tyson was mentally unstable. Floyd is just an absolute scum bag and fully in control of what he is doing.

Ward is a joke and now irrelevant. Ward fans are jokes when they make those claims you are right.

Biggest double standard you listed I totally agree with. The Pacquaio Marquez PED's business. I am a Pac fan and I find it ridiculous and makes other honest fans look stupid.

There are considerable other double standards I've shared all the time that many are well aware of already.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
      Haven't even bother to check out the comments regarding Ariza really. I don't care who he hires for his S&C coach.

Floyd and Tyson beating women is both bad. I can sympathise with Tyson slightly more because Tyson was mentally unstable. Floyd is just an absolute scum bag and fully in control of what he is doing.

Ward is a joke and now irrelevant. Ward fans are jokes when they make those claims you are right.

Biggest double standard you listed I totally agree with. The Pacquaio Marquez PED's business. I am a Pac fan and I find it ridiculous and makes other honest fans look stupid.

There are considerable other double standards I've shared all the time that many are well aware of already.

Like what for example? I'm sure I've heard them too', the ones I listed were just off the top of my head.

Comment

Okay, since you pressed me, I'll leave my usual "modern vs old" passion speeches at the door and deliver something more current.

I have found it somewhat amusing how Pac fans have accused Floyd recently of never been able to handle fast aggressive and powerful fighters like Manny whereas Floyd fans have accused Pac of not being able to handle counterpunchers.

Obviouly the truth is somewhere in between but the campaign has been one of "bummifying" the other when we all know both are exceptional.

There's a double standard.

I like Pac personally but I'd not try to portray that Floyd is anything less than the best opponent ever faced.

Comment

Okay, since you pressed me, I'll leave my usual "modern vs old" passion speeches at the door and deliver something more current.

I have found it somewhat amusing how Pac fans have accused Floyd recently of never been able to handle fast aggressive and powerful fighters like Manny whereas Floyd fans have accused Pac of not being able to handle counterpunchers.

Obviouly the truth is somewhere in between but the campaign has been one of "bummifying" the other when we all know both are exceptional.

There's a double standard.

I like Pac personally but I'd not try to portray that Floyd is anything less than the best opponent ever faced.
          Seems fair. And I know what you mean about the modern vs old double standards

Comment

People Having kell brook beating Shawn porter based on accurate punching with porter being more active but ineffective.
            But say Lara's accurate punching doesn't count because canelo was more active even though he too didn't land shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
              People Having kell brook beating Shawn porter based on accurate punching with porter being more active but ineffective.
              But say Lara's accurate punching doesn't count because canelo was more active even though he too didn't land shit.
              I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya again here Juof.

Ok sure, Canelo didn't exactly destroy Lara but he was definitely asserting his authority. Lara was a runner in that fight. I will not score for the runner. Boxing more a fight than a game.

And conversely Brook beat Porter soundly. Porter fought dumb.

That's not a double standard imo.

Comment

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya again here Juof.

Ok sure, Canelo didn't exactly destroy Lara but he was definitely asserting his authority. Lara was a runner in that fight. I will not score for the runner. Boxing more a fight than a game.

And conversely Brook beat Porter soundly. Porter fought dumb.

That's not a double standard imo.
                Fine with me, I agree Lara was making him miss but not making him pay and was inactive in the middle rounds but I felt he did enough to win the fight. Hit and not get hit even if you do stay on your bike and have to climb the top rope to make them miss. I also understand that canelo was never going to lose a close decision ever in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
                  Fine with me, I agree Lara was making him miss but not making him pay and was inactive in the middle rounds but I felt he did enough to win the fight. Hit and not get hit even if you do stay on your bike and have to climb the top rope to make them miss. I also understand that canelo was never going to lose a close decision ever in his life.
                  So your saying that Canelo's fan favouritism played a role here too right?

Alright the best I will offer you there is that Canelo vs Lara was closer than Brook vs Porter.

Comment

No one wants to fight GGG at MW and he says he doesn't want to move up - people say he is afraid to move up and ducking Ward.

No one wants to fight Rigo at SBW and he says he doesn't want to move up - people throw him a pity party.
                    Last edited by Black Barty; 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X