Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of the current HWs stands the best chance against a prime Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of the current HWs stands the best chance against a prime Tyson?

The general consensus is that Mike Tyson would beat any of the top HWs today, but which one gives him the toughest fight?

Looking at the guys who took Mike the distance, I'd say maybe Ruiz could hug him for the distance the way "Bonecrusher" Smith did, but he's not winning a decision. Dimitrenko might be able to duplicate Tony Tucker's performance, but he doesn't have TT's jab. Green and Tillis, Mike was still a bit green.

Vitali probably would've had the best chance, but against Gomez, especially early in the fight, his age is really starting to show, and starting slow against Mike is a very bad thing, to say the least. Wlad might be able to jab him on the way in and immediately tie up, but chances are Mike would eventually catch him, so unless Wlad tired him out prematurely by leaning on him in the clinches, I don't like his chances.

Arreola and Haye would probably make for the most entertaining fights, but I doubt either would last more than a few rounds with Mike. Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.
    Wlad Klitschko
    13.95%
    Vitali Klitschko
    69.77%
    Ruslan Chagaev
    0.00%
    Eddie Chambers
    0.00%
    Chris Arreola
    2.33%
    Alexander Povetkin
    0.00%
    David Haye
    11.63%
    Alexander Dimitrenko
    0.00%
    John Ruiz
    2.33%
    Sam Peter
    0.00%

I'd go with Vitali, such a good chin. I could see a distance fight with Tyson but think that Tyson would probably win by two or three rounds after having tough moments.

Anybody with a dodgy chin like Wladimir or Haye would to my mind be knocked out at some point. Not a hope that someone as speedy and powerful as a peak Tyson would not be able to find either's chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      I'd go with Vitali, such a good chin. I could see a distance fight with Tyson but think that Tyson would probably win by two or three rounds after having tough moments.

Anybody with a dodgy chin like Wladimir or Haye would to my mind be knocked out at some point. Not a hope that someone as speedy and powerful as a peak Tyson would not be able to find either's chin.
      Yeah Tyson was pretty accurate as well, and was able to leap forward fast enough to make up for his reach deficit, but not get caught, and if he did get caught, his chin was solid enough to take it. As I remember in the Tucker fight, Tony caught him with his Sunday punch in the first round, Mike took it well, and Tony knew then he had no chance of stopping him, so he switched to survival mode. Haye's quick with very good reflexes, but keeps his right too low to avoid getting caught at some point, and when he does, I hear Mike was a pretty decent finisher.

Comment

Vitali Klitschko

Comment

Vitali Klitschko, by a landslide.

He's the only one I see, who has a good (maybe even great) chance against a Prime Tyson.

Comment

VK easily. Too damn tall, long, and powerful for Tyson. I think he could beat him, maybe stop him. Prime Mike ices the rest.

Comment

I dont really see any of those HW's beating Tyson, but i would give Vitali the best chance he has a solid chin and a good jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                The general consensus is that Mike Tyson would beat any of the top HWs today, but which one gives him the toughest fight?

Looking at the guys who took Mike the distance, I'd say maybe Ruiz could hug him for the distance the way "Bonecrusher" Smith did, but he's not winning a decision. Dimitrenko might be able to duplicate Tony Tucker's performance, but he doesn't have TT's jab. Green and Tillis, Mike was still a bit green.

Vitali probably would've had the best chance, but against Gomez, especially early in the fight, his age is really starting to show, and starting slow against Mike is a very bad thing, to say the least. Wlad might be able to jab him on the way in and immediately tie up, but chances are Mike would eventually catch him, so unless Wlad tired him out prematurely by leaning on him in the clinches, I don't like his chances.

Arreola and Haye would probably make for the most entertaining fights, but I doubt either would last more than a few rounds with Mike. Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.

Vitali is the only one with a chance, even then I think he would lose a UD.

The other guys fall in a matter of rounds.

Comment

Pre Douglas... None of them... After Holyfield.... All of them.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                    Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.
                    Eddie Chambers could take him the distance and make him look bad from time to time. He can't win a decision however, he's just not active enough. I see Eddie winning 4 out of 12 rounds, but I give him a better chance of going 12 than anyone, including Vitali. I voted for Vitali however because he has the best chance to actually win the fight. If Wlad had Vitali's chin, I'd go with him, but he doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X