No announcement yet.

Boxing For the Under Privileged Masses, MMA for Socio-Economic Elite Minority

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Organik View Post
    For one thing, the sport is still evolving. In the US, more often than not people have had to pay for training up front, without immediate rewards. This is more so the case with martial arts gyms in general, though this should be expected to change with regards to MMA.

If you go to Brazil, everything you said probably does not apply. I've heard stories of gyms which are so packed that when they go to roll around a trainer will walk through, and as long as each pair is a foot-width apart they are good to go.

I didn't read the whole post, but your post includes a major oversight in regards to your comment about college degrees. A tremendous number of MMA fighters come from wrestling backgrounds. If you are an elite wrestler in the US, it is basically a given that you wrestled in college. Needless to say, as with other college athletes, these guys attend school on sports scholarships.

I basically find your post reactionary, and not grounded in fact.
    Exactly. There are no boxing scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
      State of the art boxing facilites are not cheap at all. Compare the training camp costs of top boxers and top MMA fighters, and you will see which is more expensive. Also expensive golf my ass. There are a bunch of these martial arts places which are pretty cheap for beginers, and the guys in college you talked about were there since they probably had wrestling scholarships. There are no boxing scholarships. Also wasn't GSP on welfare and broke running around in Montreal?
      By logical deduction the very same reason the TOP BOXERS are able to afford the TOP training facilities is because they are getting the TOP salaries in sports (far more than MMA) because they are getting the TOP fan viewerships because the underprivileged MAJORITY is watching them and not MMA.

Comment

Your posts again, are flawed. MMA doesn't have the history that boxing has. There aren't any "old timers" out there yet to give free MMA lessons. More kids do MMA in the living room of their parents home then you think. It's much easier to grapple then it is to box. It takes no equipment and nobody gets hurt.

And sorry to tell you, boxing IS the same as it was in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
          Exactly. There are no boxing scholarships.
          Doesn't matter if there is or isn't it doesn't change the fact that these MMA stars are going to college and are able to AFFORD it because they are coming from upper middle class to upper class families whereas boxers are often coming from the mean streets dead broke and homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
            How can you "find" anything in my post if you failed to even read it? Pretty obtuse and lazy on your part with a reactionary answer based on ignorance (not reading my post).
            I didn't need to read the whole thing to respond in the way I did. It is not laziness if your writing failed to insight my interest, that one falls on the writer.

I like how you dodged all of my post which contained actual substance.
            Last edited by Drunken Cat; 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

That's a ****ty proverb you probably pulled out of your ass.

Anyways, your premise is basically boxing is for poor people and MMA is for others who are better off in the economic ladder. You speak in way too many generalities and extremes to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
                Doesn't matter if there is or isn't it doesn't change the fact that these MMA stars are going to college and are able to AFFORD it because they are coming from upper middle class to upper class families whereas boxers are often coming from the mean streets dead broke and homeless.
                This post is a direct contradiction. They are able to afford it because of the scholarships. Do you know what the word "scholarship" means?

You act as though people who go to college are inherently soft. This is typical intellectual-phobia. I wonder if you also feel threatened by people whom you perceive as more intelligent than yourself.

Comment

Stupid thread, who cares where the fighters come from??Who cares if boxers come from the ghetto and MMA fighters come from stable familys that **** doesn't matter.

People like MMA because it has everything; boxing,wrestling,muay thai, submissions,knees to the face,elbows, arms getting snapped out of their sockets, fighters getting chocked unconsience..that's why it getting so popular, because it's the ultimate fight sport.
                  Last edited by Hotsoup; 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swoosh View Post
                    Your posts again, are flawed. MMA doesn't have the history that boxing has. There aren't any "old timers" out there yet to give free MMA lessons. More kids do MMA in the living room of their parents home then you think. It's much easier to grapple then it is to box. It takes no equipment and nobody gets hurt.

And sorry to tell you, boxing IS the same as it was in the 80's.
                    MMA doesn't have the history that boxing has IN THE US.

We need to start thinking outside of our own country yall.

There are streets in Brazil and Thailand that make Harlem look like Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by ColtraneChanges View Post
                      That's a ****ty proverb you probably pulled out of your ass.

Anyways, your premise is basically boxing is for poor people and MMA is for others who are better off in the economic ladder. You speak in way too many generalities and extremes to be taken seriously.
                      So your initial attempt at ad hominem failed by calling me insecure and getting called out on it, now you're back for a 2nd failed attempt to derail my argument by blabbering about 'generalities'? Sort of ironic for someone who doesn't even have a GENERALIZED refutation (other than childish ad hominem attacks) to blabber about generalities wouldn't you think? I'd say you're in over your head, kid.

Comment

Working...
                      X