No announcement yet.

Im watching UFC geatest hits and i have to say

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
    UFC is too unpredicatable because of the huge skillset involved. I mean, you can get world class boxers who don't have a sound defence and this is just considering punches. How are you going to manage when you can punch, elbow, knee, kick and grapple? The fact is somewhere along the line there's going to be a weak spot. You can't train each attribute to its limits, therefore fights will always have an unpredictable element (more so than boxing) because of the larger skillset involved.
    Yea but they only train enough to get by. A pure wrestler trains enough boxing and jiu-jitsu to just get by, they are still very good at wrestling but they suck everywhere else. Watch Mark Munoz fight Matt Hamill, that's a good example.

Comment

tell all that to the guy in my avatar
      <--------------

Comment

In my opinion UFC basically has to evolve into a complete science like Boxing did over time (it won't take as long). Right now, the Boxing and striking in the UFC is usually quite pathetic because in general, skilled strikers usually don't know how to wrestle, and if you can't wrestle, you can't survive there. A guy who can hit hard and who can wrestle can always beat both a skilled striker or a wrestler (He will grab one and hit the other).

Over time I see more fighters becoming more skilled like Anderson Silva and Goerge ST Pierre and as that happens, the sport will become more pleasant to watch.

So I bascially agree, at this point the striking in this sport is usually beyond ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
          This is a great point that most people overlook. I don't have the energy to feed this troll thread right now though.
          Yeah true. Theoretically, MMA is far more skillful than boxing due to the larger skillset involved, but practically it works out the opposite. When you have guys spending their entire careers learning how to use just their fists well, how do you expect people to incorporate elbows, knees, kicks and grappling too. Something has to give, which is why I don't like MMA. It always seems to end up with a very lucky KO or hours of aggressive cuddling.

Comment

Yeah true. Theoretically, MMA is far more skillful than boxing due to the larger skillset involved,

I'd say that dividing your study among disciplines makes you less skillful but more effective.

Comment

MMA or UFC get no love from me.

Comment

Yeah true. Theoretically, MMA is far more skillful than boxing due to the larger skillset involved, but practically it works out the opposite. When you have guys spending their entire careers learning how to use just their fists well, how do you expect people to incorporate elbows, knees, kicks and grappling too. Something has to give, which is why I don't like MMA. It always seems to end up with a very lucky KO or hours of aggressive cuddling.
                I understand what your saying. I just dont see whats so good about this. The show is about KOs and they aren't nothing much. 1 guy throws a lucky punch and knocks some one down and the ref will call it off. the refs should count like in boxing. but idk

Comment

Originally posted by 817boy View Post
                  I understand what your saying. I just dont see whats so good about this. The show is about KOs and they aren't nothing much. 1 guy throws a lucky punch and knocks some one down and the ref will call it off. the refs should count like in boxing. but idk
                  I'm not a fan either. Fighters are not well-rounded enough for my liking. For example you have the grapplers who like to roll around all day and SUCK at striking. I'm not going to pay to see that ****! Hell no

Comment

Originally posted by 817boy View Post
                    They don't count because the fight doesn't stop when 1 or both fighters go to the ground. If a guy knocks another down, he jumps on him and beats him until the ref stops it. 95% of the time, you want to see it stopped by this point because the guy has taken multiple flush power shots right to the face/head. The striking is the main weakness in MMA right now. Once that improves, more people will like to watch it.

Comment

I'm not a fan either. Fighters are not well-rounded enough for my liking. For example you have the grapplers who like to roll around all day and SUCK at striking. I'm not going to pay to see that ****! Hell no
                      Exactly, like i said it has to evlve over time.

There are a few guys who can strike and hopefully that will grow and put more pressure on the other competitors to grow in that area.

I used to pay for it back in the early and mid 90's when they had, on the one hand, skilled strikers, and on the other, skilled grapplers (ofcourse the grapplers always won) but now I won't spend a penny on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X