No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Ayala Jr. Was No Legend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tony Ayala Jr. Was No Legend

By Thomas Gerbasi - I’ve seen the word “legend” tossed about more than a few times when discussing the death of former junior middleweight contender Tony Ayala Jr. Tuesday at the age of 52.

According to Merriam-Webster.com, “legend” is defined as “a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well.”

I guess by that definition, Ayala Jr. was a legend from 1981 to 1982, when he terrorized the 154-pound weight class and seemed destined for greatness. Unfortunately, he was a terror to women as well, in particular a New Jersey woman he raped in 1983. It wasn’t his first assault, as he had also beat and raped a teenager in the bathroom of a San Antonio drive-in theater when he was only 15 himself. Tried as an adult, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison. An alleged $40,000 payment to the victim encouraged her to plead for leniency for him. He was granted probation.

That’s unfortunately what happens when you can tame an animal to the point where he can perform for the masses, entertain them, and make those around him enough money for them to turn their heads when he takes his behavior outside of society’s accepted norms. A harsh assessment? Absolutely, but what else would you call the Texas native, who was most certainly entertaining and on the verge of making a lot of people a lot of money as the mandatory challenger for WBA champion Davey Moore’s title.

But eventually, the blinders had to come off, and after the 1983 rape, the 19-year-old Ayala was found guilty and sentenced to 35 years in jail, 15 to be served before being eligible for parole. [Click Here To Read More]

Translation: Mayweather is no legend

Comment

Good article, I get sick of rapists and child abusers and every other kind of lowly vermin getting a free pass just because they're "good at boxing"
      Last edited by ////; 05-13-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Rot in hell you fuking bum

Comment

I personally think he is a legend. Not as a boxer, but as a conman.. and, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being a con artist. What a life.

Comment

If U saw Tony Fight, U didn't forget it...

Davy Moore, wisely Avoided Tony,
            and got the Recycled Duran instead....

Same result,
            and gave Roberto redemption from the SRL,
            No mas Fight!!!

Comment

This is a gang, and I'm in it, I'm on a Harley, breaking every speed limit, now I'm going cross country, with a brick of coke and stolen money ( I dont care) I'm the last American hero, and I blast for less than zero, you know Smyth dont give a f, I got nothing to lose and I'm all outta luck, this is a gang and I'm in it, straight bangin in California prison, they knew I had the spirit of a warrior because in the courtroom beat the sh out my lawyer er, for even suggesting that I rat F that g code still trap, and I'm not sorry your honor, for shanking my cellie is my job as a monster

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfist View Post
                Most of the people I know say, Ricans are just thieves and rapists. Actually a teacher in high school told us Ricans are considered untrustworthy and are lazy.

All this time Heavyfist thought Tony Ayala Jr. Was Rican...

Comment

New York Times article on Ayala at the time of the Mike Tyson rape case:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/08/sp...-at-tyson.html

Comment

Cool, wonder when we'll see Stevenson's article.

Comment

Working...
                    X