Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are OK for Khan's points deduction for pushing, what about holding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times was Hopkins deducted points for holding in the Jones/Calzaghe and Wright fights?

Or Ali/Frazier too? Ali basically jumped on Joe's back.

Comment

The rules and refs in boxing are messed up.

There is an official set of rules that have altered into this adjusted system that seems to be generally accepted across the sport.

Clinching is seen as boring or a way to save yourself when hurt, when in fact it is illegal....just because it isn't as dramatic as a headbutt or elbow doesn't mean it shouldn't be penalized. It's NOT part boxing, it's against the rules.

Same holds for pushing.......I guess everyone is just stunned by the fact that these smaller tactics are actually getting penalized for once.

That's a good thing in itself, but I understand why people find there is a serious lack of consistency.

Comment

how many times does the ref have to warn you?

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
          How many times was Hopkins deducted points for holding in the Jones/Calzaghe and Wright fights?

Or Ali/Frazier too? Ali basically jumped on Joe's back.
          how many times were they told to stop??

Comment

Originally posted by trampstank View Post
            They were very harsh deductions for Khan. I think such a minor indescretion should not be made to affect the outcome of the fight like that.

Many fighters get away with far worse. Check out the video below; holding, pushing, elbows and low-blows all considered clever tricks of the trade.

The difference is those are vet tactics. Notice how a lot of that is not openly brazen and looks like the result of two fighters just being too close compared to khan openly fouling in front of the reff. Its hard to argue whether mosley is rushing floyd (who happens to have his elbow up) or if floyd is openly fouling. Sure we know the answer to that but its not exactly easy to spot without instant replay.
            Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
              how many times does the ref have to warn you?
              Read what the guy above you said.

My issue isn't the warnings on Khan, but the lack of warnings for any body holding etc... in other fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                That's a good thing in itself, but I understand why people find there is a serious lack of consistency.
                That's really the only problem. You just know the State told the ref not to hesitate in taking points away from Khan when he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                  how many times were they told to stop??
                  Once or twice a round.

Comment

The simple fact is the ref was a w4anker can you imagine if the ref gives a penelty in football/soccer every time there is a push in the six yard box from a corner or a free kick? I'm guessing he'll recieve a bunch of death threats for literaly following the letter of the law.

Same can be said about boxing there are a lot of things that go on which are not supposed to go on but good refs use their discretion to judge the serious offenses from minor ones. Take Wards fight with Green for example Ward was constantly pushing him to the ropes but never got told off for it thats the ref using discretion to let the action flow and if he was deducted a point people would be outraged.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
                      Once or twice a round.
                      Now multiply that by 12....

Comment

Working...
                      X