Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Barkley able to Beat Hearn's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Hearns has a weak chin and doesn't really know how to spoil and survive

Comment

hearns just couldnt deal with big shots to his chin..

If he had a chin, he would be in consideration for the GOAT

Comment

One factor to consider, which I did at the time, was that Hearns moved up to light heavyweight and won the WBC belt over Andres. Then he decided he wanted to drop back down and go for the middleweight title. When he did this he appeared weak and I even wondered if he would beat Juan D. Rodan, who was very strong himself. He was struggling to make weight but figured he would be alright. He never made middleweight again after that.

Comment

I hate all of this bullshît about Hearns' not having a good chin. When he was a respectable fighter, he was only ever stopped by elite fighters: That being Leonard, Hagler and Barkley. Some people might go and say that Barkley is not an great fighter, but if nothing else he had a great punch. So consider that myth debunked.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
            I hate all of this bullshît about Hearns' not having a good chin. When he was a respectable fighter, he was only ever stopped by elite fighters: That being Leonard, Hagler and Barkley. Some people might go and say that Barkley is not an great fighter, but if nothing else he had a great punch. So consider that myth debunked.
            Very well put, and you beat me to it..

Comment

If anything Hearns was more vulnerable to body punches than he was to shots to the chin. The whole "Hearns had a glass jaw" stuff is bull****.

Poet

Comment

alot of great fighters get beat by someone less skilled than them,,,

a recent example would be mayorga beating forrest twice,,,,

It just happens sometimes,,,

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  If anything Hearns was more vulnerable to body punches than he was to shots to the chin. The whole "Hearns had a glass jaw" stuff is bull****.

Poet
                  i never said he had a glass chin,,,, I just stated that he was vulnerable to big shots on the chin,,,
                  SRL, Hagler, IRan all landed on that sweet spot, and tommy had been knocked down alot in other fights he won,,,,

He didnt have a horrible chin, but it was his flaw,,, I never saw tommy get stopped by a body shot,, yes he has been hurt by them, but what fighter hasnt,,,,
                  Tommy has been stopped by chin shots,,, never by a body shot,,,

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Largely, because he was'nt fazed by the hitman, his power, or his reputation.. Arguments can be made for a lucky punch in their 1st fight, but regardless of that, it meant he took a shed load of confidence into the return, and fought like a man who knew he was going to win. Tbh, Hearns had to dig very deep not to get stopped again,and struggled in the later rounds with a hideous broken nose..
                    What Barkley lacked in skill, he made up for with heart, strength and conditioning,but Hearns showed incredible fortitude to last the dc.
                    I think Barkley was also much overlooked in the skill department too which was why he was a tough fight for anybody. He had a very good jab, nice counter shots (especially the left counter), and generally underrated boxing ability. Not saying he was Whitaker by any stretch, but if he was around today he'd be kicking ass at 160 big time.

Originally posted by FilMor View Post
                    He didn't just beat him, he destroyed him.
                    You could have just as easily given the decision to Barkley mate. Really, really close fight that Duran would have lost without the knock down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      i never said he had a glass chin,,,, I just stated that he was vulnerable to big shots on the chin,,,
                      SRL, Hagler, IRan all landed on that sweet spot, and tommy had been knocked down alot in other fights he won,,,,

He didnt have a horrible chin, but it was his flaw,,, I never saw tommy get stopped by a body shot,, yes he has been hurt by them, but what fighter hasnt,,,,
                      Tommy has been stopped by chin shots,,, never by a body shot,,,
                      Watch the first Leonard fight: It was bodyshots that set up the KO.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X