No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Inks Contract With Al Haymon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
    Well, looks like this Haymon dude possesses the gift of gab. I mean he must be one smooth talkin' sum***** to so quickly attain this level of influence in the sport.

Maybe he can talk Jr into training like he should...

don king used to show up at fighter's houses with piles of cash. highly illegal, but extremely effective when you've got an impressionable, young fighter.

haymon is popular among fighters because he gets his guys on TV and against crap opponents.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      don king used to show up at fighter's houses with piles of cash. highly illegal, but extremely effective when you've got an impressionable, young fighter.

haymon is popular among fighters because he gets his guys on TV and against crap opponents.
      That why Larry Holmes says Don King robbed me but I wish everyone robbed me the way Don King did.

Piles of cash can tempt a lot of people, seeing a number on a check is great but when you see a large pile of greenbacks something just click in pretty much everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        That why Larry Holmes says Don King robbed me but I wish everyone robbed me the way Don King did.

Piles of cash can tempt a lot of people, seeing a number on a check is great but when you see a large pile of greenbacks something just click in pretty much everyone
        Hell yes. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the trivia, fellas.

Is there some line of reasoning that makes sense why this should be illegal?

I mean I would guess they would be taking cash draws against future earnings, right?

Hell I'd have a dude hanging around with a fat wad of hundreds maybe the last hour or two of the kids workout: "200 bucks cashamoney if you you can show me another hundred situps right now"...etc...what could be wrong with that?

Comment

• Chavez Jr. celebrated this deal with some weed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            ... in case you didn't know, possible fights with Froch (Matchroom) and Golovkin (K2) actually had nothing to do Chavez Jr; it had everything to do with Top Rank paying Chavez Jr $3m for fights that'll easily end up generating $20m (gate, PPV, sponsors, etc).

If Top Rank is out of the picture, Chavez Jr no longer has to deal with the attempt to stiff him out of his purse. Haymon and K2/Matchroom can sit together, discuss the potential fights, and negotiate terms that would be to the benefit of both parties; Golovkin being locked into an exclusive deal with HBO complicates things a bit, but it's still workable.

Negotiate the site of the fight, the sponsors of the event, the promotional logistics of putting things together, the TV rights situation, and whatever other odds and ends, and you make the fights.

If he loses, he loses; as long as there's still interest in seeing Jr fight, Haymon would continue to seek out the best opportunities for Jr, regardless of what you think of the fight.
            thanks for logical interpitation!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post

you still gotta be a dumb sht to except cash so you deserve what you get.
              thats the law. dumb shts!

Comment

• Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
                Well, looks like this Haymon dude possesses the gift of gab. I mean he must be one smooth talkin' sum***** to so quickly attain this level of influence in the sport.

Maybe he can talk Jr into training like he should...
                Personally, I think sitting Chavez and his team down, and having them know the details about how the deals are done on his behalf (talking money over TV rights, working for the sponsorship opportunities, increasing the amount of press involvement that becomes apart of the events, etc), Chavez Jr will see the scope of his responsibilities, what he owes his daughter and the opportunity that he will have to establish his own legacy, and seeing that will instill self discipline.

You add that Haymon doesn't seem to offer his fighters tons of money in advances (which leaves the fighter with keeping more of their take on the fights, in the end) and Chavez Jr can't really afford to sleepwalk through this next stage of his career.

Doubt that he ever makes 160 again, though. He'll probably just campaign at 168, until he can't physically make the weight.

Comment

Working...
                X