Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the next Great American heavyweight hope?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the intelligentsia of NSB the next great US heavyweight is apparently and unfortunately either currently playing bouncyball in the NBA, rounders in the MLB or padded rugby in the NFL.

So we'll never get to meet him

Comment

I'm a fan of Bryant Jennings who is fighting this weekend but he's likely not the answer either.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
        The days of Great American HW fighters are done and gone. All we have now is Floyd to represent us but is so embarrassing for us because he's ducking an Asian midget. Say the Asian midget is a problem to his health and could cripple him for life.
        Ward, Dawson, Bradley, Trout, Hopkins, Quillin, Garcia, Rios, Peterson, Bradley, Broner, etc. American boxing is doing pretty damn well, amazing considering its not even in the top 10 most popular sports here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          Ward, Dawson, Bradley, Trout, Hopkins, Quillin, Garcia, Rios, Peterson, Bradley, Broner, etc. American boxing is doing pretty damn well, amazing considering its not even in the top 10 most popular sports here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
            And yet the highest paid athete in the states last year was a boxer?

i'm pretty sure its quite popular

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              So after David Price and Tyson Fury fought this weekend, as usual my American buddies on this site had plenty to say about them, there was a lot of criticism of both these guys, The american posters sure seemed to notice a lot of flaws, and reasons why these guys were no good.

So, all I want to know from my good buddies in the USA, is who have you got coming through?

I just want to know so I can look at some tape and give my opinions on them. I did hear about this guy, Seth Mitchell who is supposed to be a real talent. I haven't seen his last fight, so I think ill go watch that, I'm really interested to see what's gotten you Americans so excited about him!

I'd have to say that Wilder is still where the best hope lies. . . But until he fights somebody with a pulse, I simply can't give an opinion on him.

I still wouldn't write Mitchell off completely. I think he'll be the type of guy who will always be dangerous to any boxer due to his power, and raw athleticism. I don't think he'll ever be a solid, consistent champion, but he'll probably be the type who scores some upsets over much better boxers due to power/athleticism.

I haven't really delved much deeper into HW boxing in USA, though. So there might be some more guys. . .

Haha **** USA HW boxing, though - Tyson Fury is my guy. . . And I've been behind him from day one. Feeling better than ever now about his chances to take over when K-bros retire. . . I think the best "new guy" is Kubrat Pulev, though. He is DANGEROUS, and is definitely best HW not named Klitschko right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                And yet the highest paid athete in the states last year was a boxer?

i'm pretty sure its quite popular
                How do I explain it. . . Boxing is definitely not a mainstream sport in USA, hell, it's not even the most popular combat sport in USA. That would be MMA, and more specifically, UFC.

Boxing is only somewhat discussed in mainstream circles when Mayweather, or Pacquiao is fighting. TO a lesser extent, guys like Klitschko brothers, and even Hopkins are known, but people don't really get up for their fights.

Boxing is definitely much more popular on a local/grassroots level in England, and the UK. . . Local guys will get passionate, and get behind their boxers in England, and UK, whereas in USA, they won't have any kind of fanbase until they a world champion. Guys like Ricky Burns, Kell Brook, Carl Froch (even back during the Pascal fight), Price, Fury, Cleverly, Bellew. . Hell, even Gavin Rees, and Matthew Hatton. . . All these guys have a very supportive local fanbase, and can at least bring a good home-crowd. . .

Now, take their equivalent counterparts in the USA, and they'll have a few hundred fans tops. . . Now I will give Devon Alexander props, he can several thousand people when he fights in St. Louis to come back him. . . But there just isn't the local passion, and grassroots popularity you have in UK. . .

The UK atmospheres in general just look so much better, and more fun, and supportive of their local guys, even if they are still "up and coming."

It's probably just as popular in both countries, but it's more evenly distributed in England, whereas all the popularity is concentrated on two boxers in USA.

Comment

Now within latino communities, particularly mexican, they will get behind Mexicans, and Mexican-American boxers. Which is why Canelo, and Chavez Jr. are such huge draws. . And were even pretty big draws before fighting on HBO. . .

They bring the same sort of passion, and support for their local/hometown boxers as the English, and British fans will.

Comment

Im American and like Fury amd Price. I think Fury is better at this point.

I think WIlder is all we can hope fore at this point. Although he is 25-0 with 25 kos, his fight in a few weeks is as if he's in his 6th fight. It could be a while before we even can tell anything.

I don't think Jennings is anything special, and Mitchell is just a tough guy whos not even on the level Arreola who at the moment is the best American HW. Wow... Hurts to say that.
                    Last edited by Mule Deer; 12-03-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

The Americans got a decent talents in Bryant Jennings and Deontay Wilder (as frustrating as his match-making has been) but sadly..

Comment

Working...
                      X