Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Ken Norton be heavyweight champion today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Fans are the worst when it comes to a fighters death no matter how they pass. Rest in Peace doesn't mean he's a topic on a forum discussing if he could "win a bout" against someone!

Bring it up in a few weeks, this is NOT showing respect. Grow up!
    You people who don't agree with me are on the outside looking in without sensitive and respect. You don't discuss combat when a soilder passes!!!

Do what you will, fans will be fans damn shame to be that clueless!

i don't think it's at all disrespectful to compare him to other great HW now, or at any other time.

is it really all that disrespectful to say that he'd flatten every HW on the planet not named klitschko?

if some peopel are using this thread to push an anti american / pro european agenda that's one thing, but for the most part it looks liek a respectful discussion of a great fighter's career.

teddy atlas often compares fighters of the past to the modern era upon their passing. it puts their careers into context for peopel who might not ahve been around in the fighter's prime. it's an honor to be discussed in historic context.

i don't think norton's family would get offended by the idea that their father is being discussed in fantasy fights, the way we do with all other great fighters.

Comment

He'd be very competitive against the Klitchkos, and not someone i'd bet against.

People should never forget he was involved in one of the greatest HW fights of all-time against Holmes. That last round was brutal. You look at how competitive he was against Holmes and Ali, and there is no reason why he couldn't do the same to the Klits.

Foreman was stylistically wrong for him, but there was only ever one Foreman, and no HW today can be compared to him. Prime Norton would be a Champ today no doubt.

RIP Champ. One of the greatest.

Comment

W
        Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Fans are the worst when it comes to a fighters death no matter how they pass. Rest in Peace doesn't mean he's a topic on a forum discussing if he could "win a bout" against someone!

Bring it up in a few weeks, this is NOT showing respect. Grow up!
        You people who don't agree with me are on the outside looking in without sensitive and respect. You don't discusss combat when a soilder passes!!!

Do what you will, fans will be fans damn shame to be that clueless!
        What's your fockin problem? It's a boxing forum and people have been saying that nothing but a good things about Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Why? He is a great champion whose career will be discusses a lot over the next few days. Like it or not, death will bring a lot of attention to the man.

Great question TS.
          Call old fashioned. I just don't approve of Westboro Baptist Church type threads, however slight. No matter how subtle the topic is, it is still criticism of a recently deceased person. No matter how you or anyone else respectfully answers the question, it is still criticism of a recently deceased person, who does not deserved to be evaluated right at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by RajahBell View Post
            Call old fashioned. I just don't approve of Westboro Baptist Church type threads, however slight. No matter how subtle the topic is, it is still criticism of a recently deceased person. No matter how you or anyone else respectfully answers the question, it is still criticism of a recently deceased person, who does not deserved to be evaluated right at this moment.
            wtf are you talking about? You clearly have no idea about my stance towards the Klitschko's in general or my deep respect for Ken Norton.

You my friend are an idiot looking for the worst in threads. and fail to realize that by doing that, you are in fact the guy smothering a legends name.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              i don't think it's at all disrespectful to compare him to other great HW now, or at any other time.

is it really all that disrespectful to say that he'd flatten every HW on the planet not named klitschko?

if some peopel are using this thread to push an anti american / pro european agenda that's one thing, but for the most part it looks liek a respectful discussion of a great fighter's career.

teddy atlas often compares fighters of the past to the modern era upon their passing. it puts their careers into context for peopel who might not ahve been around in the fighter's prime. it's an honor to be discussed in historic context.

i don't think norton's family would get offended by the idea that their father is being discussed in fantasy fights, the way we do with all other great fighters.
              I think everybody on this forum will recognize I would not try to push an anti american or pro klitschko stands in any of my threads.

Comment

Over the years, I got to know Ken Norton well enough to think of him as a friend. When I got the text this morning that he'd passed I was sick.

In all honesty, lookin at the heavyweight scene today, my man, Norton would have beaten them all. Maybe Wlad causes problems cos of size and technical ability but it would be 50/50.

Norton would have some sort of title in this era and in the 90s and the 80s. It's just a shame he came about at a time when we had the three best heavies ever.

RIP My Brother!

Comment

Are you guys serious? Why would Wlad be such a problem for Norton? Norton was 6'3 220 not some small dude. He beat Ali and was in an absolute war with Holmes but Wlad beats him? Don't forget the best opponent Wlad has fought since getting KOd three times are Sam Peter and Chris Byrd. But he makes easy work of Norton?? I don't even think Wlad has taken a BIG punch in years. Norton was good against the jab and physical, very strong. Not seeing it.

Comment

Kenny would have a great chance against any modern fighter. He was tough as hell.

Comment

Working...
                    X