No announcement yet.

The HW division needs a big, strong southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HW division needs a big, strong southpaw

I'm currently watching Vitali-Sanders for the umpteenth time (one of my all-time favourite fights), and from the opening bell it's a real fight in there. During the first 4 rounds, Sanders landed some murderous left hands on the iron chin of Vitali - all of which would've surely KO'ed anyone else.

Most of the Klitschkos' recent opponents have been short orthodox guys who haven't given them much trouble. Chagaev was a lefty, but he was too short to get within range or intimidate Wladimir. Thompson, on the other hand, was tall as hell and frustrated the latter a great deal.

So tell me, people - are there any up and coming southpaw HWs who pack a serious punch and are 6'5" or taller? It is this kind of fighter who could give a Klitschko problems, especially the ageing Vitali who has noticeably lost most of his speed that he used in the Sanders fight. A big left hand is a good weapon to have against the brothers.
    Last edited by PittyPat; 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM.

sanders hand speed was his biggest asset

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2010 View Post
      sanders hand speed was his biggest asset
      That, and his crushing power.

Not much else, though. :laff2:

Comment

sanders was unorthadox durable had speed was big and could pop....thats a mean ass combination

Comment

Seriously, people need to watch that fight and see just how good Vitali was in his prime.

He had this funky way of planting his feet yet still being able to jump out of trouble; flowing upper body movement which rolled with most punches; and a more focused intent - like, a mean look in his eyes when he pawed away with that distracting jab.

That's one of the best HW bangfests in the past decade.

Comment

The heavyweight division needs anyone who is in shape, exciting, and has decent skill. That's what it is lacking. The closest thing we have to that is David Haye and look at him right now

Comment

Originally posted by Heebarican View Post
              The heavyweight division needs anyone who is in shape, exciting, and has decent skill. That's what it is lacking.
              But specifically, it needs a big southpaw. Right now the division is being dominated by the Klitchkos, and no orthodox fighter - whether they're in shape or not - is going to trouble them. Those aren't the right tools to give them a challenge.

That's my point.

Comment

The HW division needs George "Monk" Foreman III to hurry up and raise through the ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                  But specifically, it needs a big southpaw. Right now the division is being dominated by the Klitchkos, and no orthodox fighter - whether they're in shape or not - is going to trouble them. Those aren't the right tools to give them a challenge.

That's my point.
                  Yeah, I agree with you on that. I'm just saying I don't even need someone to beat the K brothers. I just want someone exciting in that division and we're lacking that.

Comment

If Tony Thompson 'sat down' more on his punches he'd be threat to Vitali. He's got good size and reach, decent boxing skills but he's lacking in the power department...
                    ________
                    Marijuana Vaporizer
                    Last edited by BostonGuy; 03-09-2011, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X