Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins is my dude but tactically I always believed he is overrated as a tactician

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopkins and Overrated don't go in the same sentence

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      I totally agree about your entire post. The point I was making is that he isnt able to deal with all styles like say Leonard, Mayweather, Whitaker, etc. Thats part of tactics....knowing when something is not working and changing it up....thats just something I think he is overrated at...the sublties, the nuances, and as far as knowledge of the game in the ring he has forgot more than what some have learned.
      True he couldn't face those styles now I doubt however I believe he did give Roy Jones a good run for his money the first time they fought I would throw his name in there with Leonard Mayweather Whitaker. He beat him the second time but its not the same Jones in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
        True he couldn't face those styles now I doubt however I believe he did give Roy Jones a good run for his money the first time they fought I would throw his name in there with Leonard Mayweather Whitaker. He beat him the second time but its not the same Jones in my opinion
        I give Hopkins absolutely no credit for facing that version of Jones. Who had been knocked out three times prior and wasnt half the fighter he was in '93 and definitely in his prime in 96-99

Comment

I give Hopkins absolutely no credit for facing that version of Jones. Who had been knocked out three times prior and wasnt half the fighter he was in '93 and definitely in his prime in 96-99
          Yea I'm not talking about the second time he fought Jones I don't give him credit for that either Jones was way past his prime then. But the first time they fought Jones was in his prime I thought Hopkins did put up a tough fight although he did lose UD. I havent seen the whole fight just highlights though

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
            Yea I'm not talking about the second time he fought Jones I don't give him credit for that either Jones was way past his prime then. But the first time they fought Jones was in his prime I thought Hopkins did put up a tough fight although he did lose UD. I havent seen the whole fight just highlights though
            go watch the whole fight...both had trouble landing cleanly already showing slick defenses on Hopkins part and Jones showing reflexes, both barely landed any jabs...Hopkins attempted to counter punch a faster, more powerful, counterpuncher it wasnt working...Hopkins had success against the ropes, Jones dominated the middle of the ring...in the late rounds Hopkins landed a few good right hands but didnt build on the mild success and Jones cruised to UD12...I scored it 9-3....8-4 is good.

Had he opened up while remaining defensively responsible he could have made it a closer fight, idk i f he would have ever beat a near prime Jones. But it showed he was stuck in his ways and required to change tactics it was difficult.
            Last edited by therealpugilist; 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

there is a difference between techique and tactics...from a technique stand point he is top 5 in the past 25 years like jabbing, counterpunching, defense, stalling, etc....Tactics meaning adjusting to your opponent and making changes mid fight when what you are doing may not be working
              Sorry man, I totally misread tactical as technical

Comment

I totally agree about your entire post. The point I was making is that he isnt able to deal with all styles like say Leonard, Mayweather, Whitaker, etc. Thats part of tactics....knowing when something is not working and changing it up....thats just something I think he is overrated at...the sublties, the nuances, and as far as knowledge of the game in the ring he has forgot more than what some have learned.
                We don't know if Floyd is able to deal with ALL styles. With had a small sample of technicians with speed and stamina that he has faced. Zab Judah and Oscar Delahoya and to a lesser degree a shot Sharmba Mitchell.

With that said, every loss that Hopkins suffered, he wasn't being dominated and was still doing enough to keep it close on the scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  the guy thought he could win a fight by throwing two punches for 6 rounds.....TWICE!, AGAINST THE SAME GUY! ....he can deal with slow guys or very raw guys...otherwise he goes defense first and loses decisions....and it happened repeatedly so clearly the guy didnt learn the lesson.....no way he can be considered smart.
                  Are you referring to the Dawson bouts or Taylor?

Because in the Dawson ones, he isn't capable of more at this point. He looks wooden out there, like a guy suffering from arthritis or something. Clearly he is limited offensively at this point and needs to pick his battles carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                    We don't know if Floyd is able to deal with ALL styles. With had a small sample of technicians with speed and stamina that he has faced. Zab Judah and Oscar Delahoya and to a lesser degree a shot Sharmba Mitchell.

With that said, every loss that Hopkins suffered, he wasn't being dominated and was still doing enough to keep it close on the scorecards.
                    Keeping it close on the score cards isnt what they fight for. Simply put I was stating that Hopkins though reputed for his tactical skills and IQ has trouble dealing with a particular style and overcoming it.

Floyd has dealt with darn near every conceavable style and disadvantage....height, reach, fight night weight, even ring size, Has fought freakishly tall guys for the weights NDO(a swarmer), Corrales(Boxer-puncher with huge power), and Genaro Hernandez( a boxer a fighter)

As far as styles he hasnt had it easy and fought most if not all....Hatton was the best swarmer, body puncher of the era....Jose Luis Castillo was the best pressure fighter and mind you educated pressure, he didnt waste many punches....Judah was a slick southpaw with power, Ortiz was an attacking southpaw with one punch power and a 15 pound size advantage...counterpunchers like Judah, Oscar, Corley....Pressure fighters like Jesus Chavez and Carlos Hernandez...power punchers like Corrales, Corrales, Mosley.

Difference is Mayweather has proven he is a great tactician while having some disadvantages he is smart to change tactics

Comment

He may not look as great as Mayweather but every move Hopkins does is not wasted. He's always in position to punch or hold or do whatever the heck he wants.

Comment

Working...
                      X