No announcement yet.

ATG Lists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
    Some good list's there, which are never a easy thing to do and everyone will have there own opinion.

But i really do think Dwight Muhhamed Qawi, formally known as Dwight Braxton at least derserves a mention, on the nearly list at LHW.

He was WBC LHW champion, taking it off Matthew Saad Muhammad with a TKO win, he would defend it 4 times and would also defeat Muhammad again.

Before losing it to your number #5 choice Michael Spinks on UD.

He would then move up to cruiserweight and win the WBA title and make one defence of that against former Heavyweight champion Leon Spinks, stopping him in 6.

And then would lose his title in a true battle and one of the most excting and brutal fights of all time against Evander Holyfield, on a SD, in which alot of people thought he should of got.

After this his weight gained out of control, and he would go on to get stopped by Evander Holyfield and George Foreman, and challeged once more for the WBA 190 title getting beat on SD against Robert Daniels.

Great fighter in his prime.
    Quite right, I must have been hurrying as I can's imagine not having Qawi in there SOMEWHERE.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Light-Heavyweights

ATGs

01. Ezzard Charles
      02. Archie Moore
      03. Gene Tunney
      04. Bob Foster
      05. Michael Spinks
      06. Roy Jones Jr.
      07. Billy Conn
      08. John Henry Lewis
      09.Tommy Loughran
      10. Tommy Gibbons
      11. Maxie Rosenbloom
      12. Mauro Mina
      13. Jack Dillon
      14. Young Stribling

Some Near Greats (Alphabetical)

Jimmy Bivins
      Eddie Booker
      Georges Carpentier
      Joe Choynski
      Jack Delaney
      Chris Ewbank
      Tiger Jack Fox
      Victor Galindez
      Virgil Hill
      Harold Johnson
      Joe Knight
      Battling Levinsky
      Frankie Liles
      Llloyd Marshall
      Harry Matthews
      Joey Maxim
      Michael Moorer
      Matthew Saad Muhammad
      Kid Norfolk
      Philadelphia Jack O'Brien
      Willie Pastrano
      Graciano Rocchiagiani
      Antonio Tarver
      Dick Tiger
      Jose Torres
      Tommy Yarosz
      Why do you rank Foster above Spinks?

Comment

As with any list, I agree with some, not with others. Some of the ones I disagree with would be having Jermain Taylor in the "near" list for Middleweights, and putting Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosley on the list at Welterweight.

My heavyweights.......

1.) Joe Louis
        2.) Muhammad Ali
        3.) Larry Holmes
        4.) Jack Johnson
        5.) Jack Dempsey
        6.) George Foreman
        7.) Joe Frazier
        8.) Rocky Marciano
        9.) Lennox Lewis
        10.) Evander Holyfield
        11.) Mike Tyson

I have no argument whatsoever with your lists for Light Heavyweight or Middleweight. That's pretty spot on, at least from my perspective.

For Welterweights, I'd toss off Mosley, and De La Hoya, and replace them with others. Pernell Whitaker should definitely be on there.

I'll have to take further time to draw up my complete top 15 lists.

Comment

Middleweights

ATGs

01. Ray Robinson
          02. Bob Fitzsimmons
          03. Marvin Hagler
          04. Stanley Ketchel
          05. Bernard Hopkins
          06. Charley Burley
          07. Harry Greb
          08. Jake LaMotta
          09. Carlos Monzon
          10. Tony Zale
          11. Panama Joe Gans
          12. Marcel Cerdan
          13. Les Darcy
          14. Mike Gibbons
          15. Holman Williams
          16. Mickey Walker
          17. James Toney
          18. Mike McCallum
          19. Tommy Burns
          20. Freddie Steele
          21. Non Periel Jack Dempsey
          22. Nino Benvenuti

Some Near Greats (Alphabetical)

George Abrams
          Freddie Apostoli
          Joey Archer
          Nigel Benn
          George Benton
          Bennie Brisco
          Lou Brouillard
          Hank Casey
          Cyrille Delanoit
          Vince Dundee
          Tiger Flowers
          Gene Fullmer
          Joey Giambra
          Joey Giardello
          Bert Lytell
          Gerald McClellan
          Terry Norris
          Mike O'Dowd
          Ken Overlin
          Billy Papke
          Dave Sands
          Harry Smith
          Jeff Smith
          Jermain Taylor
          Randy Turpin
          Rodrigo Valdez
          Teddy Yarosz
          Winky Wright
          Seriously??? say it was a mistake...

I didnt notice until bringer brought it up

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            Why do you rank Foster above Spinks?
            Foster was a beast at 175. Like Spinks, he was undefeated at that weight only losing to Heavyweights. Taking nothing away from Spinks, who's a favorite of mine, I just think Foster was a bit more dangerous.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
              Seriously??? say it was a mistake...

I didnt notice until bringer brought it up
              Honestly I'm on the fence about how good Taylor really is and whether he's good enough to be considered a near-great or not. I put him in with the near-greats because I figured SOMEONE was going to ask if I didn't include him.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                As with any list, I agree with some, not with others. Some of the ones I disagree with would be having Jermain Taylor in the "near" list for Middleweights, and putting Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosley on the list at Welterweight.

My heavyweights.......

1.) Joe Louis
                2.) Muhammad Ali
                3.) Larry Holmes
                4.) Jack Johnson
                5.) Jack Dempsey
                6.) George Foreman
                7.) Joe Frazier
                8.) Rocky Marciano
                9.) Lennox Lewis
                10.) Evander Holyfield
                11.) Mike Tyson

I have no argument whatsoever with your lists for Light Heavyweight or Middleweight. That's pretty spot on, at least from my perspective.

For Welterweights, I'd toss off Mosley, and De La Hoya, and replace them with others. Pernell Whitaker should definitely be on there.

I'll have to take further time to draw up my complete top 15 lists.
                You don't consider De La Hoya and Mosley ATGs? But Trinidad's okay on the list?

Pernell Whitaker was at his best at Lightweight and unless you're named Ray Robinson I only rate a fighter in ONE weight class.

Poet

Comment

Good lists Poet, only one query. Wouldn't Mayweather be ranked as a featherweight rather than a welterweight? His best wins were at 130 and 135, after all?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
                    Good lists Poet, only one query. Wouldn't Mayweather be ranked as a featherweight rather than a welterweight? His best wins were at 130 and 135, after all?
                    Floyd won his first title in 1998 at Super-Featherweight over Genero Hernandez. Since I don't regard the "Super" and "Junior" divisions he grades up to the next highest legitimate division which is Lightweight. The problem is, Floyd spent a roughly equal emount of time at Junior-Welter which grades up to Welterweight. So I could have placed him at either Lightweight or Welterweight with Welter getting the nod because of his opponents there.

Poet

Comment

You don't consider De La Hoya and Mosley ATGs? But Trinidad's okay on the list?

Pernell Whitaker was at his best at Lightweight and unless you're named Ray Robinson I only rate a fighter in ONE weight class.

Poet
                      From a technical aspect, I wouldn't put Trinidad on my list either. He was a very one dimensional fighter who relied on the power of his punch to win the day. Anytime he was up against an opponet who had solid boxing fundamentals he failed, and failed big time. (The Oscar robbery, Hopkins, Wright)

But from an accomplishment standpoint, I can't remove him. He is a 3 division World Champion with victories over some of the best of his era.

I wouldn't put De La Hoya on the list because he is notorious for dropping the ball in every big fight he's ever been in. Granted you can argue that he won the Trinidad fight and the Mosley rematch, as most people think he did (myself included). But on paper, and in the books, he lost, and that's where it really matters.

Mosley will forever be tainted by taking steroids.

And I'm not sure it's fair to only rate a guy in one weight class, unless his name is Ray Robinson. Granted Robinson was the greatest multiple weight class conquerer, but some other great fighters have dominated multiple divisions and should be judged according to merit in each class, not just their natural one.

Comment

Working...
                      X