Are we alone? just a few stats.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Testdead View Post
    LOL

Our Galaxy is teaming with life. 400 billion stars and we are alone?

Put down the pipe or i`ll stick the dog on ya.

We are on 2008 there will be civilizations on 502,008. Earth is a young planet. Evolution no doubt will move faster and slower.

Anyway a civilization even 1,000 years ahead of us would not use radio waves.

remember how far we have come in 100yrs just imagine a 1,000 or 10,000.
    It could be argued that with 400 billion stars why they are so hard to find, or why they havent found us. Or if they know we are here, why are they such rude bastards and not say "hello".

Maybe aliens are arrogant wankers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
      It could be argued that with 400 billion stars why they are so hard to find, or why they havent found us. Or if they know we are here, why are they such rude bastards and not say "hello".

Maybe aliens are arrogant wankers.

Maybe we are to primative to join say an alliance. Also the nearest star is 4 light years the nearest cluster (where life is almost certain) 12 light years.

Thats a long way, thats even if they have attained lightspeed. With our rockets it will take 150,000 years to travel 12 light years.

maybe we just unlucky to be stuck in the middle of know where ?

Comment

Maybe we are to primative to join say an alliance. Also the nearest star is 4 light years the nearest cluster (where life is almost certain) 12 light years.

Thats a long way, thats even if they have attained lightspeed. With our rockets it will take 150,000 years to travel 12 light years.

maybe we just unlucky to be stuck in the middle of know where ?
        Not only that but the amount of fuel it would take is beyond belief. And you would have a problem on your hands. The more fuel you bring the heavier the rocket gets and adds more weight. So fuel=weight=decreased speed. Unless we can preserve humans in the future generations than that would be a different story...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar-Mosley123 View Post
          Not only that but the amount of fuel it would take is beyond belief. And you would have a problem on your hands. The more fuel you bring the heavier the rocket gets and adds more weight. So fuel=weight=decreased speed. Unless we can preserve humans in the future generations than that would be a different story...

We need a new mode of transport. Laser and Magnets look good.

theoretically a Magnet drive should have no limits on speed. Now just need a contained environment that protects our bodies from the insane G-Force.

We will get there but not for a long time.

Comment

but until we actually find at least water on other planets, it's rather ignorant to speculate on an absolute stance when we don't know yet...
            i wouldn't say it's "ignorant" to have an absolute stance when the odds of life elsewhere are pretty high. i personally conclude that i have no idea what's out there but, when you look at the possibilities of life just based on the numbers, i don't think somebody's ignorant just for concluding that there is life.

Comment

Originally posted by Spare Moody View Post
              i wouldn't say it's "ignorant" to have an absolute stance when the odds of life elsewhere are pretty high. i personally conclude that i have no idea what's out there but, when you look at the possibilities of life just based on the numbers, i don't think somebody's ignorant just for concluding that there is life.
              Not when they take an absolute stance. It's like the odds of accidentally meeting Floyd Mayweather are pretty high considering it's by accident. So then, would that mean that just because there's even a slight possibility, that it will inevitably happen? No. It just means there's a possibility. And that is just a very slim analogy, compared to the much complicated solar systems, galaxies and the overall cosmos. I'm not saying that there is or there isn't. But I will not say with absolute certainty that there is or there isn't. It's merely opinions and belief. One can suspect there is but you cannot say "well by mathematical logic, there "must" be intelligent life somewhere else" because although there are possibilities, it doesn't make it any more true or untrue without actually seeing and examining for ourselves.

Another slim analogy is I can say that there is a girl right now in the world, with blonde hair, blue eyes, a green shirt, brown pants with stockings, wearing reeboks, who is putting lipstick on and running to catch her bus for work. And let's say for arguments sake that our Earth's population is 100 billion. Just because the possibility of someone with that exact situation increases with population (or in this case galaxies) it doesn't mean that there definitely is without a shadow of a doubt. We can conclude that the more galaxies (and I used population in my analogy) then the more chance of life, it doesn't mean that there is without actually seeing it. Lol I hope you got what I'm trying to get at here.

But again, I'm not saying there aren't...I'm just saying we must examine it first instead of saying "well there must be" because it needs confirmation first...

Comment

The nearest star system is triple: Alpha Centauri A, B, and C (Proxima, a small red dwarf that cannot be seen without a telescope even though it is so close).

The "nearest cluster", known as M4 is actually 7000 light years away and life is far from certain there. In such globular clusters, there are mostly compressed white dwarves and expanded red giants, and of course numerous red dwarves. Habitable planets cannot exist around such stars.

Comment

Not when they take an absolute stance. It's like the odds of accidentally meeting Floyd Mayweather are pretty high considering it's by accident. So then, would that mean that just because there's even a slight possibility, that it will inevitably happen? No. It just means there's a possibility. And that is just a very slim analogy, compared to the much complicated solar systems, galaxies and the overall cosmos. I'm not saying that there is or there isn't. But I will not say with absolute certainty that there is or there isn't. It's merely opinions and belief. One can suspect there is but you cannot say "well by mathematical logic, there "must" be intelligent life somewhere else" because although there are possibilities, it doesn't make it any more true or untrue without actually seeing and examining for ourselves.

Another slim analogy is I can say that there is a girl right now in the world, with blonde hair, blue eyes, a green shirt, brown pants with stockings, wearing reeboks, who is putting lipstick on and running to catch her bus for work. And let's say for arguments sake that our Earth's population is 100 billion. Just because the possibility of someone with that exact situation increases with population (or in this case galaxies) it doesn't mean that there definitely is without a shadow of a doubt. We can conclude that the more galaxies (and I used population in my analogy) then the more chance of life, it doesn't mean that there is without actually seeing it. Lol I hope you got what I'm trying to get at here.

But again, I'm not saying there aren't...I'm just saying we must examine it first instead of saying "well there must be" because it needs confirmation first...

Sounds like shes gona look like a psychotic clown running and trying to put on lipstick!!

But id still do her.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
                    Sounds like shes gona look like a psychotic clown running and trying to put on lipstick!!

But id still do her.
                    Lol...Your one sick bastard...Atleast if she was colour coordinated, it would be a different story...

Comment

Working...
                    X