This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
    How ya doing brass long time no speak. Have to disagree with you on this, Vitali never had him licked, watch the fight again mate. While he started very well and hit Lewis with some terrific shots, this was only for the first 2 rounds. By the 3rd Lewis started to get back in the fight and while Klitchko was still competetive his punches were having less of an effect, and he was starting to tire. Although Lewis seemed quite tired himself he looked fresher than Klitchko and was landing the better shots, in the 4th and 5th Lewis hit him with some devastating shots, especially his uppercuts which is quite surprising considering the size of Klitchko. Lewis had busted him up fairly and was on top at the time of the stoppage, and I have no doubt he would have kod him in the next few rounds. But that's my opinion.
    Lewis didn't seem the fresher man to me at the end of that fight. Vitali had a good thing going there. Too bad about that gash. It looked like horse that had been tangled up in a barbed wire fence. Possibly the worst single cut I have ever seen on a boxer.

Comment

Klitchko. Lewis had busted him up fairly and was on top at the time of the stoppage, and I have no doubt he would have kod him in the next few rounds. But that's my opinion.
      ** Opinion, not fact.

Vitali was ahead on the cards and Lewis had been staggering back to his corner for most of the rounds. It was a legit stoppage, the worst cut I've ever seen and the only time Vitali was ever cut, but Lewis got lucky with what amounts to a fluke cut. He had no legs left and Vitali was still standing and punching after Lewis' best shots of the fight.

Great fight. Too bad about no rematch. Vitali was game, but Lewis had his legacy to protect.

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
        ** Opinion, not fact.

Vitali was ahead on the cards and Lewis had been staggering back to his corner for most of the rounds. It was a legit stoppage, the worst cut I've ever seen and the only time Vitali was ever cut, but Lewis got lucky with what amounts to a fluke cut. He had no legs left and Vitali was still standing and punching after Lewis' best shots of the fight.

Great fight. Too bad about no rematch. Vitali was game, but Lewis had his legacy to protect.
        I agree completely with this post.

Comment

** Opinion, not fact.

I'm sorry I've just watched the whole fight twice, and I think you need to reavalue your assesment of the fight. Klitchko takes first 2 rounds and is the physically stronger of the 2 bulling Lennox around, but Lewis comes out in the 3rd very fast and has the snap back in his punches and takes this round. Lewis edges the 4th with the better punches and although tired it is Klitchko that is feeling the pace more is he grabs and holds nearly every opportunity he can get. 5th round is close and a case can be made for either boxer, but Lewis's punches have more snap, although still holding when he can Klitchko puts a lot of effort in throwing just as much as Lewis, but he looks tired off balance and is the more desperate fighter. 6th round it's like Klitchko is trying to give it one final push, working hard, but extremely tired more so than Lewis, Klitchko's mouth is gaping wide open and holds onto Lennox whenever he can even after throwing his punches, he is in survival mode now suffocating Lewis as much as he can, Lewis because of this is having trouble getting his punches off, but what he does manage is far superior hurting Klitchko whenever they land, Lewis does look tired but no where near as much as Klitchko and all the quality punches are coming from Lewis, who looks like a professional compared to the amateurish but game Vitali Klitchko.
          Was Klitchko ahead possibly but not by much, a round at most. Who was the more tired Klitchko, mouth wide open and holding whenever he could. Who was throwing the better punches, Lewis was by far, faster more snap and a lot harder, thrown properly, by planting his feet and shifting his balance correctly, Klitchko's punches never had the snap and were thrown clumsily while coming forward off balance so he could hold straight after. Did Klitchko have a chance of winning, YES but only a small chance of landing one big shot, the more likely winner had this fight gone on was Lewis who probably would have stopped him in the next 3 rounds, with a completely exhausted, busted up Klitchko unable to take any more. You are educated boxing fans and are memories distort things sometimes. Sit down and watch the fight again as I did. I decided to watch it as a neutral as one should and was prepared to say I was wrong and your assesment was correct, but I just can't. I've watched it twice and while maybe slightly behind and a little tired, Klitchko was even more tired and the one trying to survive, it was Lennox who was trying everything he could to finish this difficult fight and he looked in much better condition than Klitchko.

Comment

• I thought Lennox had turned the fight in the fourth and was in control from then on. As for the "freak" cut, last time I checked cuts and swellings were part of the sport and a stoppage for either a legitimate result. Most of this seems to me to be a result of wishful thinking and sour grapes on the part of the Lennox bashers.

Poet

Comment

I'm sorry I've just watched the whole fight twice, and I think you need to reavalue your assesment of the fight.
              ** I'm not sorry that your sorry, rather I'm glad you finally got to watch the fight with a more critical eye. You've come around to my position basically regarding who was ahead in the fight, though you're still off. Vitali ahead on all 3 cards 58-56.

Re the cut: I said it was a legit stoppage of the worst cut I've ever seen. I also stated it was a fluke since Vitali has never been cut before or since, and to have that cut be arguably the worst in boxing history is a one off occurance.

Now that the facts have been properly sorted out, my opinion: Vitali stood up to Lewis' best round, the 6th and was punching back. It was Lewis who was staggering back to his stool at the end of the round. Vitali couldn't see how bad his eye was and only wanted to finish Lewis off. I believe Lewis was done at that point. His legs had been wobbling for 6 rds now and he had no more energy left against a huge, strong, extremely accurate puncher with proven late rounds KO power.

Of course my opinion has no bearing on the fight outcome. It is what it is, but unfortunately not many bother to break a fight down as they watch it like a judge might, and fewer still can break down a fight objectively as they score it and retain the information.

Comment

• I should clarify, that my statement was a sweeping one made in haste. The cut was obviously legit, but Lewis was not winning. Klitschko gave up a round or two towards the end, but that could have been strategic as well. Both men would have tired, and it would have come down to conditioning, and Lewis was visibly out of shape. Lennox was great, however, so he's always got a fighting chance. There still should have been a rematch.

Comment

** I'm not sorry that your sorry, rather I'm glad you finally got to watch the fight with a more critical eye. You've come around to my position basically regarding who was ahead in the fight, though you're still off. Vitali ahead on all 3 cards 58-56.

Re the cut: I said it was a legit stoppage of the worst cut I've ever seen. I also stated it was a fluke since Vitali has never been cut before or since, and to have that cut be arguably the worst in boxing history is a one off occurance.

Now that the facts have been properly sorted out, my opinion: Vitali stood up to Lewis' best round, the 6th and was punching back. It was Lewis who was staggering back to his stool at the end of the round. Vitali couldn't see how bad his eye was and only wanted to finish Lewis off. I believe Lewis was done at that point. His legs had been wobbling for 6 rds now and he had no more energy left against a huge, strong, extremely accurate puncher with proven late rounds KO power.

Of course my opinion has no bearing on the fight outcome. It is what it is, but unfortunately not many bother to break a fight down as they watch it like a judge might, and fewer still can break down a fight objectively as they score it and retain the information.
                  I always watch a fight with a critical eye, just as a judge would. And after watching it again, I still see it the same. You say I was off with my scoring, by 1 round and I did say some of the rounds were close and a case could be made for giving it either way. The cut wasn't a fluke, that is one of the objectives in boxing, Lewis's punches were doing damage, the fact he hadn't happened to him before doesn't make it a fluke. Lewis was the 1st real world class opponent he had come up against, and it showed all over his face.

I think you need to watch the fight again objectively and retain some information. I never said Lewis was infront, I said he was on top at the time of the stoppage, completely different meaning, so I haven't come round to your position as you put it. Try actually reading what I say, and not what you think I'm saying. It seems to me you really don't like Lewis at all. I also never denied Lewis was tired, he was actually at the heavyiest of his career for this fight, which may have contributed along with the fact that an exhausted Klitchko mouth wide open from the 4th onwards was holding and leaning on him as much as he could. Watch the fight again and apart from the 1st 2 rounds, tell me who was throwing the better punches, whose had more snap, more power and were thrown properly. As I said before Klitchko although working hard, when coming forward was throwing his punches like an amatuer, they had no real snap and were not having now where near as much effect as in the 1st 2 rounds, where as Lewis's punches were the opposite, he couldn't get going in the 1st 2 rounds and his punches seemed to have no effect, but from the 3rd round onwards his punches were getting better and better and having a lot more effect, so although tired, not as tired as you seem to think. As each round went on Lewis's punches were getting stronger. It wasn't Lewis holding, it was Klitchko at every opportunity he got, he was the one suffering from the pace more. Lewis was not done after 6 rounds, tired yes but not done. And as for your statement of Lewis's legs had been wobbling for 6 rounds, try looking up the definition of wobble,wobbling and then tell me the same. If you really can't see that after watching the fight again, and I mean WATCH it with all this in mind before replying back, then if you disagree then fair enough that's your opinion, I'll take as your not as intelligent as I 1st thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
                    Nice list Iron. Good to see Dempsey up there where he belongs. Tyson's too high though.
                    Thanks man, Dempsey belongs there with the greats. And i am confident with my placement with tyson..sometimes i think he should be higher, he achived as much and mayb more than the boxers i placed above him.

Comment

• Ironman - Any chance of seeing them other lists you send you'd put up.

Foremancrossarm - Have you managed to go through the ring database yet, still looking forward to seeing that

Comment

Working...
                      X