Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much control does a fighter's management/promoter have over who he fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
    i think floyd is/was the only one in total control of who he fights/fought
    I would suspect that Cotto has language in his contract that gives him that right also. That doesnt necessarily mean a network will buy it, but I doubt Roc can block his choices.

And it goes without saying that as owners of K2, the Klitschkos can do what they please lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
      i think floyd is/was the only one in total control of who he fights/fought
      I feel like he did what Haymon told him to

Comment

De La Hoya, Leonard, Mayweather, Wlad, Vitali, and Cotto are the only ones I can think of who probably had control over who they fought. You can be a big star and still not have control because your finances aren't in order. Pacquiao for example. Made a ton of money but was still broke. He had to fight who Bob told him he'd pay him the most to fight. I think he's finally trying to take control of his career. He got more accomplished on his own by meeting with Mayweather than Bob was able to get accomplished in 5 years. Broner was contacted without Bob knowing. Bob doesn't know what's going on because Manny hasn't been talking to him. Imagine how Manny felt during the lead up to the Floyd fight. He'd been almost as successful as Floyd during his career. He'd fought all comers. He'd held the #1 p4p spot. He'd sold out arenas and did a million PPV's. But everywhere he looked he saw Mayweather Promotions and Mayweather was controlling the whole event. He had to think if Floyd can afford to pay me $150 mil I wonder how much I could've been making my whole career.

Comment

Depends on your promoter's place in the industry of what he CAN offer you for fights, which then of course depends your own stature in the sport, hence ppl want to sign with the big boys cuz they can get you those fights.

In the case of having a big promoter what I make of it is that they offer you opponents and you pick upon the advice of your manager. Guys with small promoters and not much leverage take whatever opportunity comes their way.

I haven't worked in the industry, just a fan like you all and picked this due to being a fan for so many years.

Comment

Working...
          X