Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razor Thin Fight Cotto Was Going to Get Jobbed Regardless

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a close fight, 6-6 or Canelo 7-5. Lara, Trout, and now Cotto -no hate but Canelo has yet to clearly beat the best guys he's faced. Props for fighting top guys lately but l'm still not impressed with him.

Comment

• What is impressive is that canelo is now 3 and 0 against the like, where as Cotto is 1-2, trout 1-2, and lara 1-1.

Lara and Cotto are great! But the jury is still out on canelo. Smh.

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
        did the same thing after the mayweather fight, ran to his lockerroom like a bish claiming he was robbed. de ja vu
        Did it after the Trout fight, too.

But let his fans tell it, he's just a 'humble warrior' that everyone should 'respect'.

Comment

• Cotto lost but he still looked really good IMO. Just ended up losing to a bigger fighter that could take his shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
            straw man argument.
            oh stfu you don't even know what that mean and answer the question.

You're telling me that bigger, more pronounced punches should count more than defense, more punches, accurate punches and faster punches. It's no different to Taylor having his face rearranged yet being ahead on points...but you must have seen Chavez winning by a mile with your own definition of how a fight should be scored.

Comment

• Cotto fans are funny. He's had a great career, no doubt.

But by looking real good do u mean he didn't get ko'd?

He didn't win a single round definitely last night.

I also like how he lost to a bigger opponent. Canelo ' s superior counter punch had nothing to do with it. He's just bigger

I'm not even much of a canelo fan, but cottos fan base is a strange lott....even in defeat his fan base will point out how much better he is than all the guys who actually beat him. Its comical!

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                That doesn't equate to 12 round decision!! This is what some of you guys don't seem to understand. Hopkins landed every telling blow in his first fight with Jermain Taylor, but he got controlled with a double jab for 8 rounds. In the last 4 rounds Taylor got his butt kicked. But he got the decision. This fight isn't the same, and again just to reiterate Canelo won on my card, but I can't see that this was not a close fight, because Canelo got outboxed in enough rounds to make it close. In other rounds he did damage and landed enough big shots to offset Cotto's boxing and workrate.
                What some of us guys don't seem to understand?? Cotto got beat. It really wasn't that close. Canelo used excellent defense. Was more accurate and landed more punches. In damn near every round. I went for Cotto.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  I am yet again surprised at how one sided everyone here thinks the fight was. I am a fan of both guys, in fact I picked Canelo by close UD, so got the result fairly accurate.

Why do so many of you get influenced by commentary? I wish more of you had a brain of your own. This was a close fight, why? Because when Cotto boxed especially early, Canelo couldn't do anything about it. Landing one or two flashy counters doesn't win rounds, Cotto was more consistent, outworked, and jabbed Canelo's head off in certain rounds. In other rounds he didn't do enough especially later in the fight, although I still gave Cotto a round or two in the second half of the fight. I implore you to watch the fight again if you think it was one sided.

Cotto made a mistake in the 8th round by standing and trading, but I think he only did that because he was comfortable at that point in the fight and I think he wanted to test Canelo in the trenches, he got his answer, which was that it was not a good place for him to be as for the first time he genuinely got out punched and stung a little. I think as Cotto tired, what was effective boxing in the first 6, looked more negative and less effective in the last 6. But Canelo was still not so effective. I remember thinking in about the 5th round, if this kid ever wants to be great he needs to put his foot on the accelerator right now...it never came. He could only do what Cotto allowed him to do, Cotto was in a fight with his own gas tank, yes he occasionally had defensive lapses and Canelo picked some great single shots, some counters and some leads, undoubtedly the harder shots, but Cotto was more consistent and quite often answered those singles with combinations. I had the fight even going into the last, which Canelo won and gave him the fight on my card, but I am so disappointed with his performance. He doesn't know how to force the issue and take control of the fight, he has all the moves, pull counters, good jab, lead uppercuts, great right hand, literally everything in his arsenal, yet he can't put any of it together. He got outboxed for large portions.

The other point I wanted to make was that everything stunk about the night. The scorecards, the HBO commentary, even the teleprompter showing the replays. It felt like the result was preordained and Cotto would have to dominate to get a split decision. It might seem like I am defending Cotto, and "butthurt" about the result, I can assure you I am not. Just really disappointed about the politics in the sport, again. No matter what happened before the fight, sanctioning bodies, belts, step aside money, the competition should be fair and just. As I said Cotto was never going to be allowed to win that fight, I thought the scorecards were a disgrace, an embarrassment to a very good fight and soured it once again for me.
                  Do you realize that yet another "elite" "tough" "HOF" fighter ran from Canelo again. Why can't anyone beat him up? There's your answer. That's what everyone knows and saw happen last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by pvj View Post
                    Cotto fans are funny. He's had a great career, no doubt.

But by looking real good do u mean he didn't get ko'd?

He didn't win a single round definitely last night.

I also like how he lost to a bigger opponent. Canelo ' s superior counter punch had nothing to do with it. He's just bigger

I'm not even much of a canelo fan, but cottos fan base is a strange lott....even in defeat his fan base will point out how much better he is than all the guys who actually beat him. Its comical!
                    I hope you weren't referring to me in that post but you'd be an idiot for thinking that Cotto didn't win a single round last night lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      oh stfu you don't even know what that mean and answer the question.

You're telling me that bigger, more pronounced punches should count more than defense, more punches, accurate punches and faster punches. It's no different to Taylor having his face rearranged yet being ahead on points...but you must have seen Chavez winning by a mile with your own definition of how a fight should be scored.
                      " Canelo Alvarez outlanded Miguel Cotto 155-129 and had a higher connect percentage (32 percent to Cotto's 21 percent)."

Yea, gonna have to call bs on that one. Cotto was not landing as much as you think.

Comment

Working...
                      X