Mexican Uppercuts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found this **** so funny im bumping it

Comment

Wow I am just shocked at the fact that people have failed to grasp what I have said.

1. I didn't say Marquez didn't know how to throw a correct uppercut. So anyone bringing that up is wrong.

2. I didn't say Mexican's couldnt throw a correct uppercut, infact multiple times I said they could, and could throw them effectively.

3. I even said guys like Montiel, Marquez, and Mijares was very good technical practitioners.

4. I never said that Marquez didnt land some fine uppercuts in the Diaz fight (he did).

5. I was simply making comment on long lead uppercuts that I have noticed some Mexican fighters even technically proficient ones sometimes throw.

6. I wasn't saying it out of hate. I was asking why it was they threw the punch like this sometimes.....

Perhaps titling it "Mexican Uppercuts" may have been a slip and the way I initially described the punch was alittle harsh, but its how I see the punch thrown.

For all the boxing knowledge people claim I am suddenly lacking. Is a long lead uppercut technically a good punch? Can you get proper turn (of the body) or weight on the punch that makes an uppercut effective from long range? Isnt it a punch that leaves you open for counters when thrown from long range?

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Uppercut
      Last edited by DarchinyFAN; 03-03-2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarchinyFAN View Post
        This is not a Mexican hate thread. I am actually serious.

Why do Mexicans so often throw those long distance, jumping, pushed, slow, 90 degree things they call uppercuts?

Not saying they cant throw correct ones, because they do, but even a technician like Marquez throws this hideous punch multiple times in a fight. Even if they land they rarely have any effect, and leave you wide open for a counter.

Maybe I am not looking for it when other guys fight, but this version of the punch seems to be thrown almost exclusively by Mexican fighters.
        Thats because it's not really an uppercut. It's sort of a half hook/half uppercut. JMM isn't the first to use it, Chavez was notorious for using it and it was lethal. It comes from an angle that people don't expect and it comes with a lot of power.

It's nothing new.....you should watch more boxing.

Comment

Well thats what jmm dropped diaz with so it must not be a bad punch

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
            Thats because it's not really an uppercut. It's sort of a half hook/half uppercut. JMM isn't the first to use it, Chavez was notorious for using it and it was lethal. It comes from an angle that people don't expect and it comes with a lot of power.

It's nothing new.....you should watch more boxing.
            Not the punch I am referring to. The one I am referring to comes from a distance. Involves no turn of the bodyweight, and comes straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by DarchinyFAN View Post
              Not the punch I am referring to. The one I am referring to comes from a distance. Involves no turn of the bodyweight, and comes straight up.
              Thats exactly the one. It's the same one, I'm not trying to say you don't know anything about boxing but beleive me, it's a deliberate puch.

Chavez used it all the time and it's funny because I had this same discussion about 15 years ago. I used to Chavez throw this punch and it looked akward and wondered why he was throwing that punch. He would throw it from a distance and it just looked funny.

The Marg upper cuts look exaggerated but they are the same thing. They even have a name for it but I forgot it.

Comment

Thats exactly the one. It's the same one, I'm not trying to say you don't know anything about boxing but beleive me, it's a deliberate puch.

Chavez used it all the time and it's funny because I had this same discussion about 15 years ago. I used to Chavez throw this punch and it looked akward and wondered why he was throwing that punch. He would throw it from a distance and it just looked funny.

The Marg upper cuts look exaggerated but they are the same thing. They even have a name for it but I forgot it.
                Perhaps we are talking about near the same punch, because, Margarito is one of the ones that thows this punch the most. Maybe I am just spotting these punches when they are misstimed and thrown from too far away.

All I was looking for was an answer.

Comment

'
                  is that the same punch that Oscar DLH refers to it as his "45" because its half hook half uppercut that comes in at a 45 degree angle. i think he talked about it in one of his 24/7 or maybe it was in his book.

Comment

Working...
                  X