No announcement yet.

Top Rank cable deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    Top Rank has had cable deals before. NBC Sports, formally known as the Versus channel, was a Top Rank boxing deal. Problem was the cards sucked (besides the Tye Fields fights, of course).

Getting deals is cool and all. But it only matters IF the promoters are putting on good fights. So hopefully Top Rank steps up their game here but I'm not going to be too optimistic.
    Yeah. OLN/VERSUS gave Top Rank a good deal with a lot of money to show some live fights and replay some classic ones and Top Rank ruined it. It started with fights like Kelly Pavlik-Bronco McKart and quickly became the Tye Fields Show.

As for what kind of fights they might put on this proposed monthly card series, yeah, I wouldn't expect any big fights...lotta prospects...maybe a little bit bigger than the UniMas fight cards they put on, but not much.

I'm wondering if they may have the May 1st date pegged for one of these cards, if not the debut.

If it ends up on TNT, it would have be good to get it going while the NBA playoffs are on so they can promote it...which would be in the mid-April through May.
    Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Top Rank has had cable deals before. NBC Sports, formally known as the Versus channel, was a Top Rank boxing deal. Problem was the cards sucked (besides the Tye Fields fights, of course).

Getting deals is cool and all. But it only matters IF the promoters are putting on good fights. So hopefully Top Rank steps up their game here but I'm not going to be too optimistic.
      it's gonna suck again.

too much options and promoter can put on so much garbage fights.

whereas before bobfather had to give hbo/sho fights they want or else do top rank ppv himself.

now arum can just build jcc jr types to 40-0 over bums on someone else's dollar.

i don't need more fights. i want better cards.

give me sho/hbo/espn with packed cards.

over sho/hbo/espn/nbc/cbs/spike/epix and more with diluted cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
        Yeah. OLN/VERSUS gave Top Rank a good deal with a lot of money to show some live fights and replay some classic ones and Top Rank ruined it. It started with fights like Kelly Pavlik-Bronco McKart and quickly became the Tye Fields Show.
        If I had to guess, i don't think Versus had much of a budget, probably something like the Duva NBC Sports deal. I'm hoping this new one is more significant, like TNT.

But good call on mentioning Versus because Top Rank really torpedoed that deal.
        Last edited by RSBonos; 02-20-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
          If I had to guess, i don't think Versus had much of a budget, probably something like the Duva NBC Sports deal. I'm hoping this new one is more significant, like TNT.

But good call on mentioning Versus because Top Rank really torpedoed that deal.
          The OLN/Versus budget was originally something like $250,000 to produce the shows.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
            He has a deal with telemundo I think.
            I remeber long ago I used to see his fights on it but not in a long time.

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            More boxing on tv is not the answer. Better boxing on tv is what's needed.

I'd rather see TR be innovative by streaming their small shows on Youtube to build up young fighters in showcase fights. That way no commericals and easier access. They can get their revenue off the gates and pay the fighters a percentage instead of a guarantee.
            Top Rank been streaming their fights online for years now, toprank.tv they show every single (and I mean every single one) televised undercard of their fights on their streaming site toprank.tv

Top ranks actually puts on competitive cards, So I am sure they will.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Checc View Post
              its about time, GBP been having Tv deals, duvva been with NBC, beltran has box azteca deals, mike tyson had tv deals with espn and nbc, everyone had some form of tv deals but top rank.
              Top rank had them on fox deportes for a while before gbp

Comment

Not sure if this fight will be part of the rumored cable deal, but it would seem to make sense if it was...

Steve Kim @steveucnlive
                Top Rank has a card scheduled for May 1st in LV, hearing Juan Diaz will be part of that card, could be for the WBO 135 #boxing

Comment

From the chat today:

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak (1:52 PM)

Yes, my understanding is that the May 1 card in Vegas will be the first of TR's new cable deal. Network TBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                    From the chat today:

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak (1:52 PM)

Yes, my understanding is that the May 1 card in Vegas will be the first of TR's new cable deal. Network TBA.
                    Nice. Maybe they will take over Friday Night Fights (with another name, obviously) since that show is pretty much done with the news of it only doing monthly cards. That would be great for a lot of us that like to tune in every Friday as usual. We will just have to tune in to a different network instead of ESPN.

Comment

If Top Rank Wants to screw this up again with crappy fights, then I hope they fail.

If the Cosomo card is going to be broadcasted though, it's a decent fight..... but i hope it's not a one and done before the big fight and they actually continue to put on decent cards/fights

Comment

Working...
                      X