No announcement yet.

Supernova event in M 82

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernova event in M 82

The closest and brightest supernova in some time has been discovered in Messier 82.

Right now it's at 11.7 magnitude, but that may increase in the next few days.

M 82 is a starburst galaxy about 12 million light-years away in the constellation Ursa Major (aka The Big Dipper).

http://www.aavso.org/aavso-alert-notice-495

January 22, 2014

Event: Supernova in M82 (Ursa Major) = PSN J09554214+6940260

Discovery by: Stephen J. Fossey (University College London Observatory)

Discovery magnitude: 11.7 V

Discovery date: 2014 January 21.81 UT

Coordinates:
    R.A. = 09 55 42.15, Decl.= +69 40 25.8 (2000.0)
    PSN J09554214+6940260 is offset 54" west, 21" south from the nucleus of M82

Spectra: PSN J09554214+6940260 is a reddened young Type-Ia supernova discovered before maximum, according to a report by Y. Cao (Caltech), M. M. Kasliwal (Carnegie/Princeton), A. McKay (UT Austin), and A. Bradley (APO) on behalf of the intermediate Palomar Transient Factory Collaboration of spectra obtained on 2014 Jan. 22.305 UT using the Dual Imaging Spectrograph on the ARC 3.5m telescope (ATel #5786, http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=5786). They also report the best superfit match is SN2002bo at -14d, and that the supernova has a red continuum and deep Na D absorption.

11.82 magnitude is pretty dim. I believe limiting magnitude for naked eye is like magnitude 7 depending on dark shy conditions. However, I am sure this 11.82 magnitude is good for binoculars and telescopes. the sun is magnitude -26 and the moon is magnitude -13. M-81 and M-82 are localized in Big Dipper Constellation {Ursa Major}. I have seen these two galaxies through a 10-inch dobsonian. We were in a canyon area not too far from city lights, but the difference in light pollution is pretty dramatic just going out a few miles away from city lights. I have never seen a supernova through my telescopes. The best views are from desert 2-3 hours away from big cities. I haven't gone out to the desert since last summer.

Here is a gif from sky and telescope and taken Ernesto Guido, Nick Howes, and Martino Nicolini...

Comment

Here is M-81 and M-82. I have seen these through a telescope as faint spirals. But, it's still pretty impressive. Viewing conditions were not the best, so that must be taken into consideration. I've seen M-31 galaxy from Joshua Tree, desert, and that was pretty impressive. It's huge and you can even see it with the naked eye.

Comment

Saw this in my reading of Scientific American.

Cool.

Comment

Awesome photos.

I love reading about space. Have you guys heard that the Milky Way will be absorbed by Andromeda eventually ?

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
            Awesome photos.

I love reading about space. Have you guys heard that the Milky Way will be absorbed by Andromeda eventually ?
            They are on a collision course, but I don't think we need to worry about that any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              They are on a collision course, but I don't think we need to worry about that any time soon.
              Nope we won't. We will be very dead.

Comment

The supernova, which has been officially designated SN 2014J, is getting brighter. It's now at 10.5 magnitude.

Astronomers predict it may eventually brighten to 8.5 magnitude, which means we'll be able to observe it with a good pair of binoculars and with small telescopes.

At it's peak, it will likely be the brightest of any kind of supernova since SN 1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud, and brightest Type 1a supernova since SN 1972E over 40 years ago.
                Last edited by The Hammer; 01-24-2014, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  Just think of all of the forces involved and all of that destruction its going to cause, would look fantastic if some beings living in further away galaxies can view it. Sucks though if your in it but might as well watch, not like there is anywhere to hide from obliteration and its not the worst thing to see before you die I can imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    Just think of all of the forces involved and all of that destruction its going to cause, would look fantastic if some beings living in further away galaxies can view it. Sucks though if your in it but might as well watch, not like there is anywhere to hide from obliteration and its not the worst thing to see before you die I can imagine.
                    That's why I laugh when theists say that the universe is perfect and made for life. It actually causes more death and destruction than anything else. The universe is a violent scary place when you think about it and everything in it will be destroyed at some point.

Supernovas, comets, asteroids, blackholes, super massive blackholes, galaxies colliding, solar flares, gamma rays....it's a fuked up scary place of massive death and destruction.

Comment

Working...
                    X