No announcement yet.

strategies for southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategies for southpaw

Not a thread asking HOW to fight someone in the opposite stance because there is a lot of them but more of a how do you personally like to approach fighting a southpaw or if you are a southpaw what are some tricks/tips you do?

Personally i approach a southpaw like i approach anybody else. First minute or so im not doing much, just studying. Trying to see what he is trying/wanting to do, capable of, strengths, movement, speed, etc.

Getting a read on these will help me determine what i want to do, and how i want to approach. For instance conventional wisdom says you want to keep your lead foot outside of his lead foot, circling away from his power hand, etc. Yet in reality, mahbe his lead hand/hook is his best punch....and you definitely dont want to circle into that punch. So yeah, just getting a read on him.

As far as my own attack, just depends on what he is trying to do. In most cases, ill start off with some jabs upstairs to see how eefective they will be/if they will land. After some of these, ill follow up the jab with a right downstairs...start changing levels. Then ill start jabbing to the body, eventually bringing a right hand afterwards upstairs. Lead rights to the body, left hooks upstairs. Etc.

Just depends on what he is trying to do, as far as being agressive or whatnot. Thats just a taste of how i start out. Im always lookinng to counter, especially on less skilled southpaws just trying their 1-2 and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
    X