Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate Ezzard Charles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Charles' great sense of timing and mobility played a part in his consistent victories over the Old Mongoose, perhaps more so than his actual physical dimensions. For as great as Moore was, I don't think he could string together combinations as quickly as Ez' could. Charles would be intelligent enough to exploit Archie's flaws and weaknesses with feints and the like.

Comment

what's the youngest version of Charles we have on video?

I thought about movement too because Moore also lost to Burley, but the Charles we typically see on vid did not move nowhere nearly as much as Burley.

Comment

I think we forget about Tunney when LtHvy are discussed! Gene only had a handfull of bouts at Hvy! He fought as a LtHvy the majority of his career and he fought some monsters starting with Greb, alot!
        Tunney could box at a very high level and had power to go along with skills!
        he had size and quickness too! He could compete and win against anyone in my opinion. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          what's the youngest version of Charles we have on video?

I thought about movement too because Moore also lost to Burley, but the Charles we typically see on vid did not move nowhere nearly as much as Burley.
          Its really annoying that there is not enough footage of Charles. His style and technique seemed ahead of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Leuty View Post
            Its really annoying that there is not enough footage of Charles. His style and technique seemed ahead of his time.
            He was a genius, really. A master craftsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              I think we forget about Tunney when LtHvy are discussed! Gene only had a handfull of bouts at Hvy! He fought as a LtHvy the majority of his career and he fought some monsters starting with Greb, alot!
              Tunney could box at a very high level and had power to go along with skills!
              he had size and quickness too! He could compete and win against anyone in my opinion. Ray.
              You be sure I did not forget :-) . my top 3 is Charles, Tunney and Spinks and I somtimes change my mind on the order.

Comment

Put Evander in there too, just for fun!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Put Evander in there too, just for fun!!! Ray.
                  for real? wouldnt Holyfield @22 or so be a bit green for those other guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Leuty View Post
                    Yeah, the other physical gifts play a huge part. But if there is a technician like Charles, who won't stand in the pocket and get countered, and who is mobile, then they have a great chance of beating Moore, as long as they don't get drawn into his mind games.
                    I don't know, I just think that's down to how good Charles is as a fighter.

I don't necessarily think Moore has a weakness to that style. He proved he could deal with that style.

Don't get me wrong, he could be outboxed. Johnson who's been touched on boxed circles around him at times, epecially in the 3rd fight. But Moore had that ability to get inside and do damage, sometimes fatal damage.

Charles going 3-0 against him is possibly the greatest accomplishment in boxing history, IMO.

I see your point though I just don't entirely agree.

Comment

i have him number 1 @lhw, top 10 p4p, and at least top 25 for HW

he was incredible, possibly the best resume ever

Comment

Working...
                      X