Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather/Ortiz enhance or take away from Mayweather's Legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Mayweather/Ortiz enhance or take away from Mayweather's Legacy?

Pretty simple per the title. Do you think the result of Mayweather/Ortiz enhances, takes away from or does not affect Mayweather's legacy? Had the fight ended non controversially, this would even be a question. But since the result has caused so much debate, poll to follow. Please discuss!
    Enhances Mayweather's Legacy.
    30.38%
    Takes Away from Mayweather's Legacy.
    34.18%
    Has No Affect on Mayweather's Legacy.
    35.44%

It's either negatively or has no effect.

It bolsters his resume with an official KO victory, but I mean, whether you're for the knockout or against it, you have to admit it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people (casuals and experts alike). Unless they do a rematch and we see a legitimate KO, I think this hurts any sort of legacy not based purely on numbers. It's +1 W/KO at a glance, but if anyone cared to look I personally don't think it's an indisputable victory.

Comment

Enhances, can't see it any other way.

Comment

It enhances his WW Resume, yes.

Considering Mayweather's WW resume isn't too much to shout about (Although actually reasonably good) then almost anything will enhance it.

But as a fighter on the all round ATG list? No, it doesn't.

Funnily enough, technically, Mayweather you could argue is a 4 Time WW Champion now (Only if you count Judah's worthless IBF or IBO Title and count Shane's WBA belt that doesn't have solely he refused to pay for it) which is quite interesting considering Mayweather's run at WW isn't that good. Atleast in terms of an ATG level.

To think with Mayweather's resume at WW you could well be a 4 Time WW Champion is slightly worrying.

I may be mistaken but I don't think there has ever been a 4 Time WW Champion, has there? I can't remember I'm going off memory.

Which is just as worrying and tells you alot about today's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisoka_ View Post
          Enhances, can't see it any other way.
          In what way? It enhances his resume with an extra win and an extra knockout, but when they marvel about his career years from now what exactly about the fight enhanced his profile? What could they say about the fight that would reflect positively? I can't think of anything.

Comment

had it been a legit no doubt about it non controversial win over Ortiz it would have enhanced because it was something his critiques and detractors have been asking for, a young powerful fighter not past prime.

but as it stands now with the controversy involved it does little to add to his resume

Comment

In my opinion it stays the same. Fight was only 4 rounds and ended contraversially. Had Floyd KO'd Ortiz mid fight during an exchange, he would have received far more credit

Comment

It has affected alot of fans negatively because of how he won. For me, i think it stays the same really.

It was a shame he resorted to a sucker punch because he was putting on a good performance and would of stopped Ortiz later in the fight.

He would of got far more credit for that.

Comment

it didnt add any. except in the views of floyd fans.

but if he wrap up his career right now w/ this controversial win, it will tarnish his legacy.

Comment

not too much IMO

if he won by ko or by landslide UD, sure but the way he won kind of leaves a "meh" feel to it

Comment

Working...
                    X