No announcement yet.

If Texas seceded.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One_Capitalist View Post
    The Free Market would restructure and allocate resources where they belong. Some jobs need to be lost in order for others to be created. You lose a job in one sector... you can gain it in another. Invisible hand and all that.

Either way...these automatic 'sequester' cuts that they're talking about on the news need to happen. Supposedly they will hurt the defense industry...good. But these are just tiny cuts and not real cuts. We need more draconian Austerity cuts. The idea that we depend on spending borrowed money in order to obtain jobs is Ludicrous.
    I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. Which would be alright either way.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. Which would be alright either way.
      No...I'm disagreeing with your premise. Maybe they would take a hit initially but in the long run...they would BENEFIT from military jobs being lost. Obama is currently using scare tactics about the sequestration cuts..that military jobs would be lost. Yet those aren't even real cuts just slowing down of growth. Spending will increase by $1.6 trillion over the next ten years, instead of by the planned increase of $1.7 trillion...yet even these phony cuts are too much for the spending addicts on Capitol Hill

Comment

Originally posted by One_Capitalist View Post
        No...I'm disagreeing with your premise. Maybe they would take a hit initially but in the long run...they would BENEFIT from military jobs being lost. Obama is currently using scare tactics about the sequestration cuts..that military jobs would be lost. Yet those aren't even real cuts just slowing down of growth. Spending will increase by $1.6 trillion over the next ten years, instead of by the planned increase of $1.7 trillion...yet even these phony cuts are too much for the spending addicts on Capitol Hill
        Ok. I wasn't even thinking of military personal. I was thinking more along the lines of Civil Service. Like Postal workers and other civil service employees which out number military personal 10-1. All of which would be out of work.

Comment

Ok. I wasn't even thinking of military personal. I was thinking more along the lines of Civil Service. Like Postal workers and other civil service employees which out number military personal 10-1. All of which would be out of work.
          Civil service employees wouldn't be out of work. Their management will have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
            Civil service employees wouldn't be out of work. Their management will have changed.
            In my opinion, taxes of the new independant state would skyrocket. The fed government pumps billions of dollars into each and every state yearly for many needs. The cost of maintaining highways alone is in the billions. If any state were to succeed they better have a few Oil reserves and poppy fields.

Comment

In my opinion, taxes of the new independant state would skyrocket. The fed government pumps billions of dollars into each and every state yearly for many needs. The cost of maintaining highways alone is in the billions. If any state were to succeed they better have a few Oil reserves and poppy fields.
              As has already been pointed out, Texas only gets back 85 cents for every dollar they pay the federal government. They would succeed just fine if they were to secede, except of course for the threat of war from the US. But save for a few mouth breathing wackos, the overwhelming majority of Texans are quite happy being part of the Union.

Comment

Working...
              X