Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marquez Knocks Manny Pacquiao Out Cold in Six

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the post I wrote on my facebook, sort of a stream of consciousness thing directed at non-boxing/casual boxing fans, to sum up my entire view of what happened tonight:
    Juan Manuel Marquez—a testament to dedication and perseverance. After years of getting ducked by Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera, his more-popular featherweight countryman who would rather fight each other three times before granting him a shot, Marquez found his window opportunity in 2004 when Pacquiao, coming off a win against Barrera agreed to fight him. Despite getting knocked down THREE times in the first round, Marquez came back dominating from round 3 on and in all honesty, probably deserved to win a decision. The fight was ruled a draw. That is the measure of a man, to overcome such daunting odds, to will yourself to be back in the fight. But the perseverance wouldn't stop there. Not by a long shot. Over the years Marquez has followed his nemesis up the weight divisions biding his time for an opportunity to challenge Pacman again. In 2008 they fought again and Pacquiao won a split decision (this fight I felt Pacquiao won, but it was close enough to leave some doubt). Getting up there in age, Marquez defied the odds and made an impressive campaign at lightweight as Pacquiao became the greatest fighter in the sport two weight divisions north, defying his own set of odds as he miraculously carried his power up to 147 and won what was viewed as an unwinnable fight against Oscar De La Hoya. The same unwinnable fight Marquez was tasked with making winnable in 2011 when he had to jump the two weight divisions, as Pacquiao did three years prior, in order to face his greatest in-ring foe. Marquez had looked pedestrian against Mayweather, been knocked down against mediocre fighter Michael Katsidis, didn't look like he had what it took to unseat the great Manny Pacquiao. The odds were as high as 6 to 1 against him. Putting increased focus on upper-body strength and conditioning, Marquez ensured that it would be his power, not just his counter-punching, that would prove to be the equalizer. And it was, as most observers believed he was robbed of a victory. Now tonight at age 39, the long journey and quest for the ever-elusive victory against the man with all the fame, accolades, and respect he himself has sought after all his life, has finally come. The smartest fighter in the sport has now made the strategical adjustment he needed to become one of the greatest in the history of the sport. Not to mention Marquez's nose was busted in this fight as well, meaning this fight would not have lasted much longer. He was down on the cards and probably losing the round he got the knockout in, so he needed something big and something quick. The knockout shot was of course, a counter-punch, the punch that has come to signify his entire career, intelligence and above all, patience. I can't say enough about this performance and I encourage everybody who hasn't yet, to watch the highlights of the first two fights (the third was kind of dull) and then watch this in its six-round entirety. If that doesn't make you a fan of the sport, I don't know what will.

And of course, this likely brings an end to the career of another all time great, brought down by overconfidence, as so many of the best are when they reach a certain level of success. Pacquiao's heart lies in Congress, helping his people, and after a knockout like this, I sincerely hope that's where he stays. His performances against De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, Morales, Barrera, and of course Marquez have been nothing short of legendary. It's been a pleasure watching him through the years giving me countless hours of entertainment and fanboy gushing on more forums than I can count, but a source of frustration as the dream fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was and never will be made, and the ever-present feeling that he could have been even greater had he committed himself fully to his craft, the way Marquez has done all his career. Ultimately it came down to who was more focused, who was more hungry, and the old adage, who wanted it more. It's clear Marquez's want will allow him to accomplish anything (well, maybe except against Mayweather) and Pacquiao's lack of focus brought an undoing to his storied career. And don't even get me started on what this means for PEDs testing in boxing, that is an issue that needs to be addressed. Not to spoil a victory, but a 39 year old man doing what he did against an ATG is sure to raise a few eyebrows and rightfully so. Even still, a bittersweet night for boxing, as Mayweather-Pacquiao is no more, but the fitting conclusion, above all else to a fighter's story of perseverance.

Comment

• Pacquiao is too focus on politics/popularity/wealth to be close to his killer instinct he had when he was still a up and comming.

Comment

• That was the perfect way to land a counterpunch by Marquez and that was the wrong way of lunging in by Pacquiao. Put them together and you get K.O of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxingfanjunior View Post
          He wasn't lucky. He threw that punch with intent. Pacquaio reached in with intent to KO Marquez. no lucky stuff here.
          Like people claiming Martinez' KO over Williams was lucky. Their butt really aches today

Comment

• I just find it hilarious that an entire fanbase that was against extra and random drug testing, is now all of a sudden so adamant on the matter.....agendas

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              I don't think we can chock it up to a simple mistake because it wasn't the first time Marquez had attempted the same thing, nor was it the first time he had connected with the same punch.

It was a clear strategy decision on his part to retreat against the ropes and try and time that right hand again.

He obviously didn't plan on getting touched up as much as he did.

In the 3rd fight it was clear that his strategy was based on keeping it in the center of the ring and timing that uppercut right hand.

We saw him land that at will again tonight when he wanted too, so he could have easily made it a clone of the 3rd fight, albeit getting touched up a bit more, instead he chose to rely on the right hand counter.

It was bad luck that Manny stumbled on Marquez foot off the feint, but thats the same way Marquez got knocked down the round before.

To imply that Marquez was throwing that right hand out of desperation instead of out of a concrete strategy is counter to everything we know about the man and how he fights.
              You obviously don't understand what I'm typing. It wasn't a lucky shot, I clearly stated that a few times. But some masterful plan, BS...no fukin way.

Look at the exchange right before the KO. JMM was flayling away when he got caught with a big shot, he was WIDE open for a counter and Manny missed, it's boxing.

JMM gets hit, he doesn't hold, he doesn't retreat, he fights. He caught Manny with a beautiful shot and one he works on but it wasn't his idea to retreat to the ropes or some masterful plan to get hit and hurt and lure Manny in...LOL

He was hurt, fought like a real Mexican does and fired back. Manny got over confident, leaped in and got hit flush on the point of the chin.

That is all, we can turn this into Area 51 but it was not.

Comment

• Marquez was getting hit because he was waiting to land the perfect punch, i don't think he looked "bad", but seemed it from the change of gameplan, he still gets hit when he boxes but not as clean. Just looks like he stayed true to his word, he was looking for the knockout.
                And theres no luck here, a counter puncher takes advantage of opportunities, the opportunity was there and he took it.

Congrats to both Marquez and Pacquiao, they're warriors.

Comment

• They were both on PEDs. Marquez just had the newer ones

=P
                  JK Great punch great fight. Marquez is a ATG this is what boxing is about.

Comment

• Mr. Pee Pee Man won the fight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                      #1 What fight were you watching? Manny was teeing off on JMM, he broke his nose and cut him. Make no mistake about it, Manny was winning this fight. Yes JMM was landing body shots and those could have effected him in the later rounds but in round 5 and 6 Manny was coming on and hitting JMM at will.

#2 - Manny made the mistake, it's that simple. He got over confident, leapt in and got hit with a great shot.
                      JMM was ahead on all cards at the KO , just being aggressive and missing doesnt win fights but I guess in Pacland it does probably because they dont understand boxing just Pac fight ., right man won !

Comment

Working...
                      X