Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Skilled Was Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysons overall defense is what got him in trouble in his defeats! Fans here are considering his attack mode as defensive skills and thats not defense per say its a big part of his offense. Moving in bobbing and weaving was part of his offense too, when he was completely on defense he often stood straight up up and moved backwards in a straight line too. He had little to no parring skills and never moved laterial for defensive purposes. His lack of defensive skills was apparent against Evander and Buster, against Buster once he got hurt he stood straight up in front of him and took right hands that finished him.
    To be honest Cus didn't want him to be moved so fast because he knew he wasn't ready for top ten guys but the once the old man was gone and the media got wind of the easy promo along with the fan base that had many "new" fans it rolled on to quickly. His defense was limited to his offensive moves and had no idea how to tie up his foes and never learned all the tricks that go with tieing guys up like wa;lking them off or how to turn the opponent using the ref as a blocker. Lots of stuff to learn and his new trainers didn't know squat about Cus's methods and techniques. Ronney and Atlas knew what was coming and Mike was turned against them. His defense sucked! Ray.

ps; Marciano was very adapt at his defensive drills and could get under all kinds of problems and had very quick steps when he needed them. Theres techiniques to learn in all kinds of styles and Rocky was very good within his style. Because he pressed and brawler was attached to his method that doesn't mean it was raw or without talents. Guys like Dempsey and Lomatta knew their business very well and just because it wasn't Willie the Wisp on the move doesn't mean it wasn't artfull. It was!! Mikes offensive was incredable, his defense was still a work in progress. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Tysons overall defense is what got him in trouble in his defeats! Fans here are considering his attack mode as defensive skills and thats not defense per say its a big part of his offense. Moving in bobbing and weaving was part of his offense too, when he was completely on defense he often stood straight up up and moved backwards in a straight line too. He had little to no parring skills and never moved laterial for defensive purposes. His lack of defensive skills was apparent against Evander and Buster, against Buster once he got hurt he stood straight up in front of him and took right hands that finished him.
      To be honest Cus didn't want him to be moved so fast because he knew he wasn't ready for top ten guys but the once the old man was gone and the media got wind of the easy promo along with the fan base that had many "new" fans it rolled on to quickly. His defense was limited to his offensive moves and had no idea how to tie up his foes and never learned all the tricks that go with tieing guys up like wa;lking them off or how to turn the opponent using the ref as a blocker. Lots of stuff to learn and his new trainers didn't know squat about Cus's methods and techniques. Ronney and Atlas knew what was coming and Mike was turned against them. His defense sucked! Ray.

ps; Marciano was very adapt at his defensive drills and could get under all kinds of problems and had very quick steps when he needed them. Theres techiniques to learn in all kinds of styles and Rocky was very good within his style. Because he pressed and brawler was attached to his method that doesn't mean it was raw or without talents. Guys like Dempsey and Lomatta knew their business very well and just because it wasn't Willie the Wisp on the move doesn't mean it wasn't artfull. It was!! Mikes offensive was incredable, his defense was still a work in progress. Ray
      So Tyson had a "lack of defensive skills" and Marciano was "very adapt" defensively?

Comment

If you don't understand the methods and techniques by viewing them the alternative is to get into a gym and simulate them so you "grasp" the means. Their styles were not the same, just because the method was to pressure doesn't mean their techniques were the same, understand? Tyson used body motion motion mostly side to side and punch off of the moves. Marciano bent in his kness and looked to come up to throw his shortened right hand then also hook off his opponents right hands. Their very different in techniques but you must know this since you've applied all your opinions in the ring personally and also your students, right? oh mighty FanMan! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          If you don't understand the methods and techniques by viewing them the alternative is to get into a gym and simulate them so you "grasp" the means. Their styles were not the same, just because the method was to pressure doesn't mean their techniques were the same, understand? Tyson used body motion motion mostly side to side and punch off of the moves. Marciano bent in his kness and looked to come up to throw his shortened right hand then also hook off his opponents right hands. Their very different in techniques but you must know this since you've applied all your opinions in the ring personally and also your students, right? oh mighty FanMan! Ray.
          I was just looking for confirmation of your ideas, no need to get insecure boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso
            What I forgot you'll never learn! Your a name caller that tells me you have no respect for people more knowledgeable then yourself. You look to put people down only to try to raise yourself up. Your a fan of boxing your not a promoter, manager, fighter, trainer, cornerman, ref, mentor your a FAN!!! Try acting like one, be respectfull towards your elders and try to learn from their experiences. What I know about your heritage is that Sctot fighters would whip your ass talking the way you do when you have NO knowledge of the game and your only successes come from participating on a forum for boxing fans! Get a grip on reality and stop trying to be the know it all you think you've become from playing on a forum. Grow up! Ray Corso
            Too easy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso
              What I forgot you'll never learn! Your a name caller that tells me you have no respect for people more knowledgeable then yourself. You look to put people down only to try to raise yourself up. Your a fan of boxing your not a promoter, manager, fighter, trainer, cornerman, ref, mentor your a FAN!!! Try acting like one, be respectfull towards your elders and try to learn from their experiences. What I know about your heritage is that Sctot fighters would whip your ass talking the way you do when you have NO knowledge of the game and your only successes come from participating on a forum for boxing fans! Get a grip on reality and stop trying to be the know it all you think you've become from playing on a forum. Grow up! Ray Corso
              You are a complete and total clown.

No one is impressed with your knowledge, and are even less impressed with your claims of being somebody in the game. No one knows who the f**k you are, BUCKET BOY.

You don't get my respect, ya pompous-ass bull****ter.
              Last edited by jabsRstiff; 05-27-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Ray, don't come back till June 27th. Your done for 30 days. We've had this discussion before and I'm not having it again. Post before than and it will be deleted and you will never post freely in this section again. If you have a problem with this PM me.

The rest of you, cut the crap please. I don't enjoy deleting posts.

Comment

He is not underrated, he is overrated and some of the posts confirm it too.

His "skills" were demonstrated best against the most inferior opponents during his "prime" days. Bullied opponents in the first half of the fight but those who stood up to him past the first 5 rounds, would make him fold like a lawn chair.

I'll give him this. Unique physique he had and he needed it too. The upper body muscle was required for all that bobbing and weaving but you had to have the work ethic of a Hopkins/Mayweather on a consistent basis to make that style work and not gas out. And he couldn't because he was bum mentally.

Comment

He had one of the greatest offensive arsenals in ring history.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZz...eature=related

Hey, sorry for not adding much to the discussion but I didn't see this vid posted in the thread. People not giving his defensive skills much props. Besides height and IQ he had it all. Exciting as hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X