No announcement yet.

Gearbox turned down offer to develop Call of Duty game

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Resident Evil is no where near as popular as CoD in online gameplay.
    Nobody said anything about online gameplay. ****, up until RE5 you couldn't even play an RE game online aside from outbreak which was total ****.

RE will forever be known for its single player classics from RE1-RE4.
    I think it's a little too early to make such a prediction. They were masterpieces, without question. But the longer we go without seeing HD remakes the more people will forget about those games.

Nope, you do not have to "discover" a game for it to be good. But i'm saying that's how people act when they try to defend CoD, they try to act like they weren't just sucked into the hype.

The defenses I hear for CoD reminds me of when I ask a girl (hence, a girl), "What is your favorite type of music" and they say "What ever is hot on the radio". Jesus Christ that sucks but at least they are being honest, while grown men just want duck, dodge and sugarcoat that they're just in on CoD because it's what's hot in online gameplay right now.

Basically a young girl could be more honest than these grown ass men. If I ever get into CoD, I will outright admit that I do it to play with my friends and nothing else. Because the reason is that simple.

Now let's get back to this Resident Evil line. Resident evil is a childhood game of mine, and for most of us for that matter, that is still around. It's a game that is integrated into my childhood and I still play and have faith on it some day becoming a great series again. CoD started off ****, and is still ****.
    COD didn't start off **** at all. You saying that it did is my cue to leave this debate because I now realize that I'm talking to a brick wall.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
      I'll admit, I started hating COD after it was cool. That doesn't make it any less of a boring over milked franchise, negatively effecting teh gaming industry though.
      And that is perfectly normal and makes sense. You start seeing it more, you visit your friends house, they're always playing it.

You: "Ayo, play another game. I'm getting bored of watching you play CoD"

CoD gamer: "Na, I gotta get this 50,000th kill bro"

That is one little example. But anyway with me it's like this, I watch a game get played the F out so much, that I don't even feel like playing it anymore.

In no point in my life, have I ever, ever walked in on a friend playing Borderlands 1, 2, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. In fact the friend who introduced me to Resident Evil a long time ago in 2001, was given as a gift, the original Resident Evil, PS1 long case version. He gave it to me because he did not like the controls and camera angles. When he handed me that game, I was 12 years old, I took that game said thanks, went back home, popped in my dusty ass PS and I never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
        Well, maybe RE wouldn't suck so much, if Crapcom weren't trying to attract Call Of Duty Fans..
        http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-...-brian-126301/
        It sucked before RE6. RE5 was ****ing abysmal as well.

The truth of the matter is just that Capcom sucks. They've ruined more classic gaming franchises than any other company I can think of (RE, DMC, Megaman, Street Fighter, etc... - Plus they buried Okami) and have produced enough **** titles within the last few years to put them on par with Atari or EA all-time.

If you look at games as a whole you'll see the trend of franchising cashing out and you can trace it all back to Madden on the SNES.

Still, gaming will always be worth it because there will always be companies out there going against the grain, developing new IPs, and innovating existing genres or creating entirely new ones. Games like 'Borderlands 2', 'The Last Of Us', and even that simplistic 'Walking Dead' game by Telltale all offer unique, innovative, and rewarding gameplay experiences.

So in that sense I don't feel like franchises are what's ruining gaming, nor do I feel like gaming will ever actually be ruined.

Comment

Yep, when it comes to CoD, i'm like Victor Ortiz, i'm a tree.

I just want to leave this here though. When I was first introduced to CoD, was naturally at a friends house, I didn't know about it before. I can tell you it was no where near the revenue monster it is today. I played it a little bit it, actually attempted to like it, but just couldn't get in to at all.

I give all games that I first discover the same exact chance. I know squat about most game I am introduced to. Borderlands 1 was love at first site, I had no idea how it was ranked or looked at by the general gaming fanbase. But I loved it, same with Resident Evil. But I loved those games.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
            It sucked before RE6. RE5 was ****ing abysmal as well.

The truth of the matter is just that Capcom sucks. They've ruined more classic gaming franchises than any other company I can think of (RE, DMC, Megaman, Street Fighter, etc... - Plus they buried Okami) and have produced enough **** titles within the last few years to put them on par with Atari or EA all-time.

If you look at games as a whole you'll see the trend of franchising cashing out and you can trace it all back to Madden on the SNES.

Still, gaming will always be worth it because there will always be companies out there going against the grain, developing new IPs, and innovating existing genres or creating entirely new ones. Games like 'Borderlands 2', 'The Last Of Us', and even that simplistic 'Walking Dead' game by Telltale all offer unique, innovative, and rewarding gameplay experiences.

So in that sense I don't feel like franchises are what's ruining gaming, nor do I feel like gaming will ever actually be ruined.
            That is such a beautiful game. I don't normally describe games that way, but it really is. Everything about it, the graphics, the gameplay, the story, the way you change the world.

It was a better Zelda game than almost all the Zeldas.

Comment

CoD just isn't that good anymore. My younger brother and step dad bought every single one since I bought Modern Warfare and introduced them to it, and every single one is worse than the others. CoD4 is still the best one, by far, and the others since have added layers of complexity that have ruined the balance from 4.

I worry that Battlefield will go that same route now in attempt to compete with CoD.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                That is such a beautiful game. I don't normally describe games that way, but it really is. Everything about it, the graphics, the gameplay, the story, the way you change the world.

It was a better Zelda game than almost all the Zeldas.
                I completely agree - It was absolutely beautiful. It's also not a term I normally use to describe a video game, but like you said, it was truly exceptional. Other games I'd classify as being beautiful include Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

Not surprisingly, all 3 of those titles are still incredibly unique.

I'm still pissed that Capcom never gave it a true sequel aside from the DS game that nobody played. Capcom did a terrible job promoting it here in the United States : Were it not for word of mouth among gamers and gaming publications I probably never would've even heard of it.

It sucks that Clover shut down. Now we'll likely never see another game like that again.

I also agree that COD4 was the best in the series. A truly fantastic game that I'd rank among the top 25 FPS games of all time. Not top 10 material, but still pretty damn good.
                Last edited by ßringer; 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Because it's a child's game. From my experience on who actually plays this game, the following picture depicts something real close to the actual truth.
                  It's not a child's game.. how could a game which involves shooting.. stabbing.. exploding people be a child's game??

Children play it.. that is true..

Its good fun.. especially with mates..

Had some hilarious moments with friends in COD MP and zombies..

Is it innovative?? nope not anymore far from it..

is it recycled? pretty much and that's why people shouldn't buy it.. if they have previous versions.. not because its terrible or bad..

Like i said before it's just like Fifa.. and i guess NBA games in America?? a reskin/new roster job kind of thing.. Something which should be a patch for 10£ basically.. But why try and be innovative when you have people willing to spend 45£ every year on it?? why upset the apple cart.. COD is the money maker in the game industry even over GTA which took far longer to make and more cash to build

I think its just cool to hate on COD.. its far from horrible or perfect.. it's a 7 or 8/10 game for me

Comment

good. cod is absolute cancer to the industry.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ion-of-gamers/
                    and the original article:
                    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/ca...a-2-interview/

Originally posted by BEDROOM BULLY View Post
                    It's not a child's game.. how could a game which involves shooting.. stabbing.. exploding people be a child's game?
                    it is by design. anybody who can pick up a controller is "awesome" and a winner in call of duty.

Comment

besides the gameplay breeding a generation of ****tards, this video also illustrates why i despise it from a technical standpoint:

for a multi-billion dollar franchise, it's damn near criminal. it really is.
                      Last edited by John Barron; 10-20-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X