No announcement yet.

Dean Francis: What Could Have Been.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Francis: What Could Have Been.

I remember when Hampshire boy, Dean Francis, turned pro. If I remember rightly his old man was head of the British Olympic boxing training or something - not exactly a stellar recommendation when you think about the UK's barren spell between 1968 & 2000. But I had high hopes for him & I remember Boxing News giving him a bit of a write up.

In his 10th bout (he was 9(7)-0) he got stopped by big punching Jaffa Ballogou in ten rounds. Jaffa beat (or tested) more than a few prospects & Dean was still only 21 & then reeled off a dozen consecutive knockouts before dislocating his shoulder in a 2 round loss to trial-horse Undra White.

That was the beginning of the end. His shoulder never fully healed & he got prison time for an after boozer fight in Basingstoke (I've also had a late night barney in that *****hole). His next bout was almost 4 years later & he then got outhustled by the mediocre Matthew Barney - again with the shoulder apparently to blame.

After that another 2 years between fights then he went on a decent run with wins against Ovill McKenzie & Tony Oakey before entering a Prizefighter & losing in the semi by kayo to fan favourite Buster Keeton in a huge shock.

He was heralded by many as a future World Champ but will now attempt another comeback at almost 39. I doubt it will end good but I wish him the best. But for injuries & a (maybe not his fault) prison sentence he could have/should have been a contender.

Nice recent article about his return...

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Fight...ail/story.html

Comment

Dean Framcis

Nice to hear about Dean. I thought he was a really good prospect in the late 90's with good wins against fellow Brits Baker and stopped David Starie's winning run.
      Hope he does well in his comeback fight.

Comment

Working...
      X