Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting in the ring, 90% mental/10% physical?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some fighters never really make anything of themselves because mentally they aren't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      I'm told that Lamon Brewster stated that boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical, do you agree with this statement? ........Rockin'
      I beat you, pal

Comment

No that's not true.

It's alright knowing what to do but if you don't have the physical ability to do it then it's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I'm told that Lamon Brewster stated that boxing is 90% mental and 10% physical, do you agree with this statement? ........Rockin'
          This is only true when you have aquired the physical skills on a habit level and are well conditioned.In other words are in a position to take the physical side for granted. If you are out of shape and have no skills no matter how good your mental state you are not happening.

Comment

you guys can say whatever, what matters is only what the champs said

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. "
            Muhammad Ali

SSR, Toney, Duran, Hagler, SSL and others all time great had the same mentality

Comment

Boxing is at least 100% half mental.

I think the way to look at this would be to check out the great trainers. Do you think Cus could have beaten Tyson when Tyson was 16 and only had a fraction of the knowledge Cus gave him? Unlikely, Tyson was too physically gifted, and in great shape, and Cus was an old man with an insane amount of Boxing knowledge.

However you saw as Tyson slipped mentally, he was beaten by less physically gifted men.

With Roy Jones Jr its the opposite, he has a great boxing brain, however his reflexes have slown to a point where he is being defeated by less mentally gifted men.

I think some fighters its mostly mental, some fighters its mostly physical, and for some its a 50/50 balance. There is no magic formula that works for every fighter in the world.

With that, the act of boxing itself mostly physical, by a long shot. However to be above average to great, its a balance and probably a pretty even one.

Comment

I think conditioning is king. But, take that out of the equation and what's left is mostly mental.

Comment

it's the other why around mate. 90% physical and 10% mental. its hard training in the gym that wins fights and the rest is up to chance.

Comment

HAhaa...

Brewster is 100% right, of course it's mostly mental..

EVERYTHING IS MENTAL.

You can't succeed in anything or work hard if you don't have the right mind set. I can't count the times in the gym where a fighter with more skill was beatne soundly by a kid who wanted it more and was tougher.

Toughness comes from your mind, your heart and what you been through. Of course it's mental.

Comment

You don't go through the motions like a mindless robot when fighting.

So yes, its mental... I would say 50 50 (and that second 50 is split into skills and conditioning)

Comment

Working...
                      X