No announcement yet.

Mixed Martial Artists switching over to boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
    Lately we've seen and heard rumours of an influx of boxers who're retired or near retirement from boxing, shifting over to the MMA realm. My question is this: do MMA's feel as comfortable with their striking abiliities to switch to boxing once their mixed martial arts career is over? And would any of these MMA's have successes solely as boxers. Who?
    Boxing isn't just "striking abilities", it's much more. and ofcourse they couldn't be top boxers after they retire from MMA...

Comment

How about Liddell or Spider Silva. They both appear to be pretty good strikers. And Spider has some good side to side movement as well as good counter punching abilities.
      Here's Silva, in his second professional boxing match, against a guy making his debut:

Comment

Lately we've seen and heard rumours of an influx of boxers who're retired or near retirement from boxing, shifting over to the MMA realm. My question is this: do MMA's feel as comfortable with their striking abiliities to switch to boxing once their mixed martial arts career is over? And would any of these MMA's have successes solely as boxers. Who?
        Apples and Oranges...

I don't think a seasoned MMA striker can hang with a seasoned Pro boxer because it's a different mindset as opposed to MMA where you have to not only worry about punches, but also kicks, takedowns, submissions. But, a lot of MMA fighters today have stepped up their striking game and have Boxing trainers along with JuJitsu trainers to get an all around game.

It's easy to say MMA guys can't punch for **** coming from a Pure Boxing fan, but guys like Anderson Silva and BJ Penn actually have above average Boxing skills and have shown it.
        Last edited by RL_GMA; 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
          Apples and Oranges...
          i prefer apples
          but i don't see what this has to do with the thread?

Comment

Boxers wouldn't win any fight in MMA either unless promoters put a favorable matchup . Yes , Ray Mercer has knocked out Tim Sylvia in like 6 seconds but Sylvia hasn't taken anybody down in his life which means he was going to stand with a former world champion boxer . Now put Mercer in there with a wrestler , he is going to get beat up badly with punches he cant defend from his back on the ground . Same with Toney , if Dana White wants him to win a fight in the UFC he will put him in there with some brawler guy who has weak wrestling .
            No MMA fighter would do well in boxing and no boxer would do well in MMA but here you could give them opponents who match up well with them , unlike boxer vs MMA fighter in a boxing about .

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
              i prefer apples
              but i don't see what this has to do with the thread?
              Read the rest of the post Timmy

Comment

Boxers have a better chances of making it in MMA, than an MMA fighter does making it in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  Apples and Oranges...

I don't think a seasoned MMA striker can hang with a seasoned Pro boxer because it's a different mindset as opposed to MMA where you have to not only worry about punches, but also kicks, takedowns, submissions. But, a lot of MMA fighters today have stepped up their striking game and have Boxing trainers along with JuJitsu trainers to get an all around game.

It's easy to say MMA guys can't punch for **** coming from a Pure Boxing fan, but guys like Anderson Silva and BJ Penn actually have above average Boxing skills and have shown it.
                  Above average compared to the guys around them, but put their boxing skills up against any somewhat competent pro and you can see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                    they can't punch for ****. they wouldn't make in it boxing

Thats why they're in MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Боксёр View Post
                      Boxers wouldn't win any fight in MMA either unless promoters put a favorable matchup . Yes , Ray Mercer has knocked out Tim Sylvia in like 6 seconds but Sylvia hasn't taken anybody down in his life which means he was going to stand with a former world champion boxer . Now put Mercer in there with a wrestler , he is going to get beat up badly with punches he cant defend from his back on the ground . Same with Toney , if Dana White wants him to win a fight in the UFC he will put him in there with some brawler guy who has weak wrestling .
                      No MMA fighter would do well in boxing and no boxer would do well in MMA but here you could give them opponents who match up well with them , unlike boxer vs MMA fighter in a boxing about .
                      Excuses, an MMA champ got owned by an old boxer.

You can't make excuses, "well, this guy didn't do this, so its not fair".

BS.

The entire premise of MMA is basically, "anything goes".

You'll never see an old MMA cat come into a boxing ring and beat one of its champs.

Comment

Working...
                      X