Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the majority of people who get beat by police really innocent victims?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    That sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    you don't think police should be required to have a college education?

even when just about every study ever done on police brutality has shown that higher education drastically reduces the rate at which it occurs?

that sounds even more redicilious.

these are people tasked with the job of enforcing the laws meant to protect your constitutional rights and your not even willing to require a college education as a standard?

outright absurd.

every police officer with out a college education needs to be fired, and the ones with a college education deserve a raise.

I really don't want to give people, who arnt even competent enough to get into and graduate college, the power to enforce the laws and arrest people. Any logical, unbias, intelligent American would agree that at the very least, the people protecting our constitutional rights, need to have obtained a college education.

do we really want to give high school idiots, that cant do anything other than become professional bullies, the power to harass? the power to persecute? the power to kill?

Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 08-28-2014, 02:47 AM.

Comment

No. The majority of truly innocent victims are the ones that the news doesn't report. I saw a video where a black man was handcuffed in jail and a cop came up instigating a fight with him and said "come on I heard you were talking **** and wanted to fight, lets do this". The man was literally trying to be sensíble about the situation and ask the cop why he would even want to beat up a handcuffed man. The cop ended up beating the man to death, in front of five or six other police officers who stood around and did nothing. The entire thing was caught on tape but the only mention of it (other than the video on youtube) was a small article that said the cop was getting life in prison. Then you have some idiot thugs who instigate fights with people who are packing guns and inevitably end up getting killed and it makes world headlines. What a truly backwards country America is.

Comment

those mofos can just adhere to police orders instead of being silly dissidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          you don't think police should be required to have a college education?

even when just about every study ever done on police brutality has shown that higher education drastically reduces the rate at which it occurs?

that sounds even more redicilious.

these are people tasked with the job of enforcing the laws meant to protect your constitutional rights and your not even willing to require a college education as a standard?

outright absurd.

every police officer with out a college education needs to be fired, and the ones with a college education deserve a raise.

I really don't want to give people, who arnt even competent enough to get into and graduate college, the power to enforce the laws and arrest people. Any logical, unbias, intelligent American would agree that at the very least, the people protecting our constitutional rights, need to have obtained a college education.

do we really want to give high school idiots, that cant do anything other than become professional bullies, the power to harass? the power to persecute? the power to kill?

Police work is gritty, I'm not convinced College graduates are built for that and the type that are mightn't necessarily be an upgrade on what you have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            Police work is gritty, I'm not convinced College graduates are built for that and the type that are mightn't necessarily be an upgrade on what you have now.
            do you have any studies that show that college graduates are week kneed mommas boys that cant handle police work? cause it seems like your stereotyping entire groups of people with no scientific findings, while for nearly 100 years studies have been done that correlate higher education with reduced police brutality and reduced occurrence of abuse of power by police officers.

you seem to imply that there arnt any good college educated police officers, when studies have shown that officers with a college education are able to stay more level headed in complicated situations, are more tolerant, better serve the community, and are more ethical and moral.

you wouldn't hire a lawyer that didn't go to college, he wouldn't even be a lawyer, you need to go to college to be a lawyer, you need to go to college to protect the constitutional rights of other people in the court of law. why is it t5he average police officer hasn't even obtained an education high enough to know how to properly interpret the laws let alone enforce them in an effort to protect our constitutional rights?
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 08-28-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

do you have any studies that show that college graduates are week kneed mommas boys that cant handle police work? cause it seems like your stereotyping entire groups of people with no scientific findings, while for nearly 100 years studies have been done that correlate higher education with reduced police brutality and reduced occurrence of abuse of power by police officers.

you seem to imply that there arnt any good college educated police officers, when studies have shown that officers with a college education are able to stay more level headed in complicated situations, are more tolerant, better serve the community, and are more ethical and moral.
              No, but I've been to College (or University), undergrad and post-grad. If you have studies supporting your view, that's fair enough, but I remain unconvinced.

Comment

No, but I've been to College (or University), undergrad and post-grad. If you have studies supporting your view, that's fair enough, but I remain unconvinced.
                http://www.police-association.org/li...-policing2.pdf

http://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/19...i-umd-5263.pdf

http://www.police-association.org/li...e_elevate.html

the last article is really good, its from the Arlington police chief in texas, a police force that first started phasing in college requirements as far back as 1986 and by 2000 required any officer to have atleast a 4 year college education.

in general, police officers that want to improve the police, point to higher education standards.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 08-28-2014, 03:57 AM.

Comment

http://www.police-association.org/li...-policing2.pdf

http://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/19...i-umd-5263.pdf

http://www.police-association.org/li...e_elevate.html

the last article is really good, its from the Arlington police chief in texas, a police force that first started phasing in college requirements as far back as 1986 and by 2000 required any officer to have atleast a 4 year college education.

in general, police officers that want to improve the police, point to higher education standards.
                  You possibly have a point, probably one too many knuckleheads in the police and there are plenty of graduates out there looking for work.

But, at the same time, I'm not so sure heavy-handedness comes down to individual's education as much as the culture, approach to training within the police force itself

For example, and I'm not saying this is the case, but if they're taught to shoot to kill, rather than subdue in certain instances, then that's what they're going to do irrespective of anything else.
                  Last edited by Weebler I; 08-28-2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

You possibly have a point, probably one too many knuckleheads in the police and there are plenty of graduates out there looking for work.

But, at the same time, I'm not so sure heavy-handedness comes down to individual's education as much as the culture, approach to training within the police force itself
                    im not sure what you are saying as far as culture? are you saying that heavy handedness comes from favoritism with in how police are trained and are accepted with in a department?

or are you saying how the culture of society affects how the police act? if its the clture of society, the increased general education of a police officer who has 4 years of college allows them much greater ability to understand the culture and feel empathy for the person, improving their level headedness and tolerance in regards to any situation.

Comment

im not sure what you are saying as far as culture? are you saying that heavy handedness comes from favoritism with in how police are trained and are accepted with in a department?

or are you saying how the culture of society affects how the police act? if its the clture of society, the increased general education of a police officer who has 4 years of college allows them much greater ability to understand the culture and feel empathy for the person, improving their level headedness and tolerance in regards to any situation.
                      In a way. If a force is (purely for example) deliberately trained to take a heavy-handed approach then it doesn't really matter how educated the officers are, they will act accordingly.

Even if they're not trained and heavy-handedness has simply become the culture of that force, new trainees will assimilate and behave in a similar manner.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 08-28-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X