Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder...Should he have looked better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    His defense is none existent and he will be brutally stopped very soon. Nothing about that fight was impressive,if anything it was sad.
    care to explain?

Comment

i think wilder just needs to make some small improvements like previously stated working on defense and getting out quick/proper after going in to attack, and i see a lot of his power wasted on shots that are blocked, so he really should stick to the jab more and open his opponents up - he has a super fast jab for heavyweight it seems

i really like to see him fight

Comment

I think he did OK. He fought to the best of his abilities at this time. He has his strong points and weaknesses. He has quick, accurate punches. He often winds up his punches so his opponent knows the punch is coming. He sometimes is wild with poor punching technique and even punching with both his feet in the air. The Frenchman had a good accurate jab and busted his eye. Nothing unusual about that. It could happen to almost any boxer. He is very lean and trim and doesn't carry the blubber many heavyweights do. This helps his stamina and lets him throw lots of punches per round for a heavyweight. His next fight will be the real test against his first top 5 heavyweight.

Comment

The guy he fought didn't come to roll over and he pretty much dominated. Sure he was unknown and limited but he didn't just oblige Wilder. So he looked pretty good to me especially on offense. His defense is what it is and will never be that great. However, he can fight a bit different to make his defense much less of an issue, but if he goes after a guy like against the Frenchman it does bring a lot of risk into play.

He could have looked better but all that would have done is change the complaints about Wilder slightly. It is why fighting an unknown tough guy is pretty much a no win situation, either the tough guy folds up and he was always nothing or the tough guy gives a good account of himself and the "star" didn't beat the guy as easily as he should have.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            The guy he fought didn't come to roll over and he pretty much dominated. Sure he was unknown and limited but he didn't just oblige Wilder. So he looked pretty good to me especially on offense. His defense is what it is and will never be that great. However, he can fight a bit different to make his defense much less of an issue, but if he goes after a guy like against the Frenchman it does bring a lot of risk into play.

He could have looked better but all that would have done is change the complaints about Wilder slightly. It is why fighting an unknown tough guy is pretty much a no win situation, either the tough guy folds up and he was always nothing or the tough guy gives a good account of himself and the "star" didn't beat the guy as easily as he should have.
            Maybe a change of trainer is in order?

Comment

Originally posted by Richie Ric View Post
              Maybe a change of trainer is in order?
              Some guys just aren't meant to have good defense, and if a guy throws with bad intentions all the time that will leave a guy more wide open.

Wilder can play the long distance game making his defense much less of a concern though, which is how he should probably approach dangerous opposition.

Manny Steward would have been the optimal trainer for him, but we both know what he would turn Wilder into and some people wouldn't dig that either. I think he would be damn effective at that style though.

Comment

I thought he looked as good as he could against a pretty tough opponent. I'd seen Duhaupas fight before, against Teper and Charr, and knew how tenacious he was, so it wasn't such a shock to me that he gave a good an account of himself.

Wilder is still wild and full of flaws, but he seems to be settling in at last to becoming a real heavyweight. He boxed well behind the jab, paced himself, picked his shots well and with variety, and demonstrated a pretty rugged inside game when things began to get rough.

He also showed he can fight through adversity, a very valuable trait for any fighter. I'm glad he got this experience as it will have seasoned him mightily. I think a Povetkin fight will be a lot closer than people think with Wilder possibly emerging the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  His defense is none existent and he will be brutally stopped very soon. Nothing about that fight was impressive,if anything it was sad.
                  If Larry the Floyd lovers say's it will happen than I believe it will happen cause he's been right 49 times

Comment

Wilder is a C class fighter with a A+ right hand. That is it, he's not very good.

Comment

Every fighter has fights where they could have done better, against a not so good opponent.

Look at Mayweather vs Augustus. It took Floyd 9 rounds out of a scheduled 10 to stop Augustus, and Floyd took some shots to get that TKO, he got a busted nose. He threw everything he had at Emmanuel. Floyd looked so vulnerable in that fight that in his next fight, against #5 P4P Diego Corrales, that performance was actually one of the reasons why Floyd was underdog. His defense did not look so good in that fight. He was dragged into exchanges by Agustus and people thought Corrales would do even better than just break Floyd's nose.

Comment

Working...
                      X